Sign in to follow this  
Shady

Making a 4Dr a 2Dr

Have been thinking about this for a while. Only because I want to do something different. I was thinking of making my 4Dr a 2Dr by welding the rear doors shut & installing 2Dr front seats. Im not asking whether any of you agree if I should or not cos hey, its MY car so I can do what I want - if I ruin it I will part it & buy another and leave it haha but it works then hey I got myself a Sedan 2Dr!? :unsure: You can give your Opinions but honestly, they dont count :rolleyes:

Just after some opinions on THESE 2 questions (legallity related), nothing else!

1- Would it need to be Cert'd?

2- Would I need to Re-regd it as a Coupe?

If I do decide to go ahead, I wont be even thinking about it until next year sometime - by then I may have decided not too bother. Just wondering if anyone on here would know the Legal sides of it. :mellow:

Cheers

Shady

Uhmm.. what?

Coupes have longer doors, and the Pillar is further back..

Would be easier just to buy a coupe.

sorry, just had to say that :)

lol why?

Yes I kow Coupes are longer front doors etc...but eh.

And, As I said, something different. If I ruined the car, I'd just part it out & get another E30 and leave it haha.

I'd rather butcher the one I got rather than buy another one, unless I found a rolling body to play with - see if it'd work then do it for real. But prefer to use the one I got now, as if it works then all good.

Just need to know the legal sides of it. Like, people cut their cars down to a Ute, so this isnt as much work, I'd just be welding the doors.

Edited by Shady

but why is it different? My car is a coupe? is that different lol

but why is it different? My car is a coupe? is that different lol

I meant different as in, not been done before, or successfully done...dunno if any out there or not. Ya know, do something no one has done yet. Just for the hell of it.

Yes i understand the different aspect of it.

But honestly why would you want to increase the impracticality of the car? I have a coupe and it is a pain in the but when taking people.

In saying that it could look kind of cool having smaller doors than a legitimate coupe, as i never really liked the large coupe doors

My Probe is a coupe & I owned a Pulsar hatch before the E30. So yeah, I know how much of pain it is having passengers. But even with 4drs, the E30 still aint all that big - still got f'all leg room in the back.

are you planning on just making the rear doors not open? or covering them over so you cant see them?

cant really see any benefit. 2doors are lighter, but if your keeping the rear doors then that really defeats the purpose.

but go ahead if u simply want to see if you can do it, thats what a project car is for :D

wouldn't think you need to re-register it. seen a few BMW's that are registered as M3 but clearly arnt.

Edited by Wervie67

Im still rocking my restricted that is my excuse for the coupe :)

no need for four doors only the one haha

I'd like to just simply remove rear door handles (inside & outside), remove the electric locking cos it wont open, weld up the rear doors (so no gaps whatsoever), and modify the interior trim so it looks like a plain trim (not a door). So yeah, simply making the rear doors worthless so its a 2dr. In otherwords, unreversable. Will have it all done properly so all welding is hidden. I might as well just ring the LTSA or whoever and ask what they think. If doesnt need to be done by certd welder I may be able to sus a mate out to do it (the welding that is).

You gotta admit though, it would look different. If I get it done really nicely and the body is all smooth like a coupe, park it up next a real coupe the only diff would be the shorter front doors? Which would be "different". Oh and the backseat & trim - yay :rolleyes: .

Think of all the wasted time / money / effort / lame-ass look of the finished product.

Some things haven't been done before for a reason. :rolleyes:

Buy a coupe.

Some things haven't been done before for a reason. :rolleyes:

Buy a coupe.

+1

Instead of wasting your money and time on useless stuff that noone apart from 14 year old school kids will appreciate, why not save your money and buy a decent set of wheels, some nice leather sports seats, a respray and a decent stance. Has been done a million times before but you will get more out of it.

What is the point in welding the door shut anyway. If it is such a neusanse (sp) to you why not just pretend they aren't there.

It wouldn't look like a coupe at all. Get someone with decent photoshop skills to do it for you. It will look like a sedan with no door handle. And to do it properly it'd be a c**t of a job.

If you parked it next to a coupe it would still look like a 4 door with no door handles.

Instead of wasting your money and time on useless stuff that noone apart from 14 year old school kids will appreciate, why not save your money and buy a decent set of wheels, some nice leather sports seats, a respray and a decent stance. Has been done a million times before but you will get more out of it.

What is the point in welding the door shut anyway. If it is such a neusanse (sp) to you why not just pretend they aren't there.

It wouldn't look like a coupe at all. Get someone with decent photoshop skills to do it for you. It will look like a sedan with no door handle. And to do it properly it'd be a c**t of a job.

If you parked it next to a coupe it would still look like a 4 door with no door handles.

Hmmm. Is there anyone on here thats good at PS? If so, can do it for me?

I wont be just removing the handles, he doors will be joined up the rear quarters. So would look longer than a coupe but have smaller doors. I could bet a few non-BMW owners wouldnt have a clue it was a 4dr.

I could photoshop it but not worth it haha

The rear windows and stuff are all completely different. It will still look like a 4 door, but with no door handles.

but go ahead if u simply want to see if you can do it, thats what a project car is for :D

wouldn't think you need to re-register it. seen a few BMW's that are registered as M3 but clearly arnt.

On that note my E46 is registered as a "3M Sport" lol

It could be cool, if you dont really care that your probably wasting a fair bit of your money, and it may look naff

I have no idea why but,

The idea kinda reminds me of jeremy clarksons 120ft Fiat Panda Stretch Limo which only had the door in the front

Cmon guys, he didnt ask what we thought just wanted to know if doable. ;P

Everyones open to their opinions. But yeah, my main question was if it would need a Cert or anything like that, cos it wont be un-strenghtening the car...

Put the E30 down and step away... Worst idea ever. It would look like a tiny limo.

I went into the future and found what your car is going to look like after you are finished with it :)

Posted Image