Sign in to follow this  
E30_318i

$$$shit$$$

So I put some anti-freeze and water in my E30 today and took it for a short 5-10 min drive, and the temp gauge rose between 3/4 and red, while it is usually on 1/2. I had to get home after that, but left it to sit for about half an hour. Well on my way home, the gauge was normal, then I got stuck in traffic and saw it rising and falling around the 3/4 mark. i havent driven it since.

Could this be signs of a blown head gasket, or craked cylinder head?

Im gunna get my old man to get it checked out on Monday :unsure:

so you did a drain and refill on the fluids?

of just refill?

if you drained you may have got an airlock in the system. i know E36's can get them quite bad sometimes if you've done a full system drain.

maybe check to see if theres a bleed cap you can open when your running up the temp.

also when you refill a car dont just go for a drive..sit it there and wait for it to get up to temp and the thermostat to open..and make sure you run the heater in on hot..to make sure water is running throught there also and its blowing hot air.if its not probably got a airlock in there somewhere(bleed it out).

Guest Andrew

bleed procedure:

There is a screw to undo near the front of the intake manifold (m20 motor). Leave the car off and undo that. Keep filling coolant till coolant comes out the bleed cap. Start the car and wait untill bubbles come out of the bleed cap. Then close.

See if that helps.

Check your fan clutch (viscous coupling). If it it heating up at low speeds, or stuck in traffic (then comes right on the open road, or when you are moving more freely), then this is likely to be the cause.

I good way to see if this is the potential problem is to see if you have any lateral movement in your fan. If you do, then the fan clutch may be on its last legs.

These are a real weak point on the E30's and I have replaced mine twice.

Good luck getting it sorted.

I didnt drain it, just a refil. Anyway, I put some more anti freeze in this morning and its gone back to normal now. It would have been an air lock, as I probably didnt bleed it completely yesterday.

Thanks anyway :)

Guest MSBOND

You guys helped me out alot then too. It looks like i need to check my fan clutch aswell cos i got my radiator flushed and new thermostat and it still over heats in traffic and at slow speeds, but open roads cool her dwn. Good thing i found that out before im away all summer.

well andrew knows this but hasnt mentioned it...a quick fix if your overheating is to turn your heater on! works wonders...especially in a certain 1987 318 white 4 door i know of.....

Guest Andrew

well andrew knows this but hasnt mentioned it...a quick fix if your overheating is to turn your heater on! works wonders...especially in a certain 1987 318 white 4 door i know of.....

haha.. *sigh*.. the fan deltete "mod" on the m10.. the good ole days.

if you still have this problem. check your thermostat. If it is running hot then it is stuck closed or it dosnt open as much as it should. Mine never got past the blue cold square and i found out that it was stuck open.

how much is a e30 thermostat likely to set you back? think its a good idea for all new car owners...saves likelihood that overheating wil lhappen becuase of broken thermostat....bumpstop...whats the 325iA like? as in..how diff is it from stock 325? wanna sell it? ;)

I would think that it would have a 4.10 diff instead of the normal 3.93 one...but he does take it around the track, so it might have been changed to a lower ratio one to allow a bit more top end.

I had a 4.10 diff in my 325i after converting it to a manual box, and it revved far too high on the motorway...even in 5th gear, however it was fun getting there!!

I am speculating here though....

Cheers

Guest Andrew

how much is a e30 thermostat likely to set you back? think its a good idea for all new car owners...saves likelihood that overheating wil lhappen becuase of broken thermostat....bumpstop...whats the 325iA like? as in..how diff is it from stock 325? wanna sell it? ;)

325iA stands for automatic gus.. He did the manual conversion.

Guest MSBOND

Because i get trade discount at euro autospares i got my new thermostat for $61.50 including gst, so it wod be a bit more then that.

My dad checked my fan clutch, he litrally stopped the fan while spinning and spun it backward... yep it was f**ked! No wonder my car has been overheating! But yes i went and spent the big bucks on getting a new viscous clutch.

My car has no front at the moment ive pulled it all off grill and everything, shes getting de-rusted and painted so shes guna look good for the summer. YEY :lol:

Because i get trade discount at euro autospares i got my new thermostat for $61.50 including gst, so it wod be a bit more then that.

My dad checked my fan clutch, he litrally stopped the fan while spinning and spun it backward... yep it was f**ked! No wonder my car has been overheating! But yes i went and spent the big bucks on getting a new viscous clutch.

My car has no front at the moment ive pulled it all off grill and everything, shes getting de-rusted and painted so shes guna look good for the summer. YEY :lol:

Wheres it rusty? Apparantly, up and under the battery gets it bad, one reason why I didnt end up with a 320i this time last year.

what you mean it would be more than that...surely you would trade discount our assese?!??! haha :D

Guest MSBOND

HEHE I should start up my own business and charge cheaper then normal but more then trade... nah that wod be mean.

My car is rust free apart from the front guard tht goes behind the no.plate and the lip at the bottom needs repainting aswell cos its ment to be black plastic but somebody painted it silver to match the car but it doesnt last well, its only small so i dont mind re doing it, il be painting th primer dwn the lower passenger side thats been like tht since i brort the car, so finally she'l be looking respectable before xmas.

hey gus, you got a spare 10 grand or so to buy my car?

my mods: 5sp install. my auto trans and standard springs are for sale if you want part of my car. oil/air seperator and sump surge tank. LSD. lowered with 65mm clearance and LLV cert. bonnet vents, 16x7 ROH J5. with 215/40 ventus rubber. 35% tints. smoked side markers with tails going in soon. full zener body kit. i still have crusie control after my 5sp swap coz i wired it a different way. racing dynamics front strut brace. f**k i hate typing, i wont even touch my audio install

Guest MSBOND

Hey i think ive seen your car, i use to live in the mt on weekends a few mnths back, you go cruising dwn the main street and sh*t, you got a pick? (of your car that is)

Anyways, i think we shod have an auction.

Hey Bumpstop

Why do you want to sell, it seems you have put a lot of work into your car?

Cheers