Sign in to follow this  
dr_sinist3r

1997 316i electrical problems

hi guyz

first off my names devy and i just joined this forum.

kay last week i got a 97 316i for a steal. obviously it had a few problems but nothng serious(lol tht wht i taught)

when i got it these were the things wrong with it=

1-central locking wasnt working at all

2-the windows worked but even when the key was out and all doors closed n the console bulb for the switched doesnt turn off at all

3-the curtesy light that lights up when the door opens wasnt working

4-the airbag light doesnt go off

5-another light that i thnk is the brake( its a circle with dashes around it) doesnt go out either

kay im fairly decent with electrical stuf soo i taught id have a jam with it. i knew it had 2 be a relay of fuse for the central locking soo did some research on that with the other bimmer forums and found out about the zke module and comfort relay.. well since mines a 97 its gona be the zke module soo acouple of days ago i opend up my glovebox and guess wht...lol the zke module wasnt there. it not in that holder box. the yellow (ews 2) module is there and a blue module(wi-wa low 2).

this fully got me stumpd. anywayz i followed the wire around and found some connectors under the carpet on my passenger side tht were heavy corroded soo cleaned them up and resolded some of the broken wires and now the door lite works(yus) but that the only thng that changed.

soo next i opend up the centre console and found some dodge wiring goin on, some1 has added a wire from the positive of the window kill switch(red/green) to the positive of all the window switches(red/green). obviously this souldnt be ther soo i removed the wire and all the windows stoped working.. then i atached extra wire from the kill switch to the switch that controls the back windows i thnk ?? and all the windows started working again..

when i took the volt reading from the wires of the kill swtch im getting 3-4V when its by its self( not attached) but im getting 12V when i attach it with extra wire to the other switch..

lol this is some unusual electrical behaviour with means the wire could be grounding somewher but i traced all the wires and the dont seem to ground anywhere at all soo i dono..

first off=

could someone please tell me what the blue module does??

and

could some1 also please tell me if 316i are not supose 2 have zke modules??

and if any1 has any solutions 2 the problem your advice and help will be much appreciated!!!

thankz guys in advance.

get it scanned by Glenn if you live near or in Auckland, he can determine the cause of most problems.

edit- I taught i taw a puddy tat :)

Edited by Jamez

kay im fairly decent with electrical stuf soo i taught id have a jam with it.

Stop fishing in the dark and get the electrical manual (PDF)

You'l find everything becomes crystal clear.

Did anyone ever work out if the 1997 316i has a zke??? i am having similar issues except i am trying to install a aftermarket alarm and as per above. i removed the glove box compartment i was surprised to see no zke or any other modules