Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

invisible e30 sub

Hey guys, i am going to be building a setup to contain my 12" sub and amp in the spare wheel well on my e30, yes you loose your spare wheel but when looking into the boot you will not see a thing and you can put stuff on top of it without damaging the sub. if anyone wants coppies let me know, not sure on prices yet but it wont be much.

Cheers oli

Guest FrantiC

Depends, is spare tyre a WOF requirement ?

If not, depending on design wouldn't be a bad idea IMO.

That would actually be a really good way to do it and if you do the setup correctly - with a ported Sealed Box youll have bass up the Wazzo

my only thing would be make sure you mount the Sub lower than the boot or if you put something in there youll destroy the sub

And Actually Thourt that a spare wheel was required for a Wof - illl check that one out - reason i havnt modded my boot out for my subs etc over the years - just left the giant fusion box

Hot4s magazine featured an article on "how to" build one of these using your spare wheel well. And no its not WOF requirement to have a spare wheel, its just your problem if you get a flatty in the middle of no where without a spare :lol:

But not a bad idea, leaves you will a normal sized boot without taking up all the space with a custom install or a huge box.

Whenever I went for a WOF, they just opened my boot (not just my BMW but all my previous cars) and saw a huge sub box and didnt even bother - I offer to remove they just go "nah who cares" and carried on the inspection. The only wof requirement is if its one of those pissy small "space savers" it needs a "dont exceed 80k stickers" otherwise no worries.

Guest FrantiC

TBH I never even use my boot, Even when I did (to carry around some skid rims) they fitted fine with my boxed 12" sub.

Only other time I had anything in my boot was when I drove home a 2.5L m20 motor in my boot all the way from wellington. Curse not having a trailer and towbal :ph34r:

Yea i will admit i never really used my boot except to store all my tools in and my subs

i will admit i just dont seem to have the time these days to get anything done, as i can only see my cars on w.e's and my son hassles me way to much and when hes asleep the misus hassles me

i have worked out that if i can get things for her to do eg painting on simple tasks that wont involve her getting shocked she does come in handy

But Anyways will love to see Pics of the setup and if i do my duel amp, 12" amp setup i will let you guys know

I've never used my boot (on any of my cars) for anything except subs. I just cant drive without bass. have had subs since I was 16 so cant stop now. :lol:

My boot has a 17" CRT and a Printer it, and a PSU.... I haven't had a sub since my rockford blew it's seal, and I've been too lazy to work on my audio.

However, Ontopic

I would like to see how this unfolds!

Edited by antil33t

Guest Ari Gold

I couldn't think of a worse location in an E30, except maybe mounted directly to the roof.

It will give you a tonne of rattle and extremely muddy bass.

The ONLY halfway decent location in an E30 is hard against the ski hole (punched out, naturally) so the bass has a chance to actually get into the cabin, like so:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is still a HEAP of room to put whatever it is you want into the boot, and it will crank. Also, you get to carry a spare, as it's sods law that as soon as you're out of cellphone coverage, you'll get a flat.

Whos car is that? Very tidy & nice install. Custom to the fullest...and not a showpony.

But that will only work if your E30 has that hole in it...which mine doesnt.

I couldn't think of a worse location in an E30, except maybe mounted directly to the roof.

If you enclose it properly, seal it all off & make it like an actual box it should be sweet. The wheel wells are pretty thin but wont take much 'glassing to make it thicker.

The ONLY halfway decent location in an E30 is hard against the ski hole (punched out, naturally) so the bass has a chance to actually get into the cabin, like so:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is still a HEAP of room to put whatever it is you want into the boot, and it will crank. Also, you get to carry a spare, as it's sods law that as soon as you're out of cellphone coverage, you'll get a flat.

Got any more info on this ? link etc ?

Whos car is that? Very tidy & nice install. Custom to the fullest...and not a showpony.

But that will only work if your E30 has that hole in it...which mine doesnt.

It probally does, you just need to punch the piece of steel out.

You reckon? I dont have the arm rest either. Will go have a look later today.

Just punch it anyway! :P

Why not?

May get myself some time off work. Blame it as "work related injury"...

...working on my car. :P

I thought they all had it? Oh well only one way for Malcolm to find out. BTW Apparantly it is not required by law to have a spare for WOF but you are legally required to have CARRY a spare TYRE and a JACK. Reason being if you get a puncture on the motorway you can get your vehicle mobile again... this is just something i was trying to argue with a workmate the other day, he rekons a cop was going to fine him for not having a spare wheel.

WTF? So they pass your WOF for not having one but the Cops can try fine you for not having one? So what about road legal showcars who's boot is just full of subs & amps...

Like my camaro, it doesn't have a spare, however didn't have one factory.