Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

invisible e30 sub

Love the sub hidden.

Although the bass rattles everything which drives me insane!

I couldn't think of a worse location in an E30, except maybe mounted directly to the roof.

It will give you a tonne of rattle and extremely muddy bass.

The ONLY halfway decent location in an E30 is hard against the ski hole (punched out, naturally) so the bass has a chance to actually get into the cabin, like so:

There is still a HEAP of room to put whatever it is you want into the boot, and it will crank. Also, you get to carry a spare, as it's sods law that as soon as you're out of cellphone coverage, you'll get a flat.

Thats how I did mine, sealed box against the rear bulkhead. Actually still have the box lying around somewhere if anyones interested...

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....ic=8920&hl=

(Note the box is only half as big as it looks there - false cover goes over the box and has hole for the amp, might still have the cover too)

I've just changed my setup

Before:

2x Rockford Fosgate 10" Power subs in a small sealed box driven by 1500watts sitting behind the backseat and pointing towards the front without ski hole punched out. Rear speakers had also been removed.

After:

1x rockford from above screwed into 20mm mdf which is screwed to the panel behind the back seats (IB setup). Ski hole now punched out. Haven't put the back seats in yet...

I hate it sooooooooo much now. But it's all my own fault really. The sub I'm using says not to use it in IB setups, (even though the xmax on it is pretty high). And I haven't sealed off around the edges of the mdf the sub's sitting in, or the rear speaker holes.

But I'm going to go back to a sealed sub. The reason I changed was to have more space... but I was stupid enough to just make my original sub box without measuring the distance between the wheels in the boot so it has to sit further back. So the next will be more like the one Ari posted (hopefully)

I always found that odd... i could always hear where the bass was coming from... it's not like its a magical sound throwing device...

The reason you would have heard where the sub is coming from, would be due to the Frequency you crossed the subs at, somewhere between 100 - 125hz. It will straight away. Localize the sub.

But then also not having a enough midbass from front speakers can also give you that illusion.

What Rogan, has offer in advice, would work well for a few of the E30 guys that have the ski pass in them.

As for the the physics, yeah that is technically correct. Or Electrically correct.

But when it comes to sound, it falls upon Acoustics.

The spare wheel sub mount is a very good idea, which leaves you with a full usable boot.

As for the spare wheel issue, there is no law.

As VW golf R32, has no spare wheel or jack at all. Lotus Elise neither and many more. So it cannot have a proper basis.

But this for Audio Advice.