Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

What oil do you use in your bimmer?

I am using Castrol Edge 5-30 Full Synthetic on my E36 with 130k on the clock (runs really good and burns very little oil)

Is that oil too thin for me? What are you guys using?

I'd use a 15w40 or 10w40 full synthetic. The recommended oil is 20w50. The 5w30 is for the later model cars

Edited by *Glenn*

I'd use a 15w40 or 10w40 full synthetic. The recommended oil is 20w50. The 5w30 is for the later model cars

Am i right in saying the E36 M3 is sopposed to run 0w60? Got this from the horses mouth (Jeff Grey).

Whatever's cheapest.

Just kidding. Have used a few options, as BMW have changed what they believe is best for an S50 and every BMW mechanic you talk to has a different view. Current BMW recommendation is a special Castrol RS 10W60. It seems to run better and the Vanos is quieter with a 15W50 or 15W40 (I think the latter was the original BMW recommendation).

Edited by CamB

Whatever's cheapest.

Just kidding. Have used a few options, as BMW have changed what they believe is best for an S50 and every BMW mechanic you talk to has a different view. Current BMW recommendation is a special Castrol RS 10W60. It seems to run better and the Vanos is quieter with a 15W50 or 15W40 (I think the latter was the original BMW recommendation).

0w60 is for the S54 I'd use the 10w40full synthetic on the earlier M3's

I take advantage of the deal that Glenn was offering for Elf oils.

I change oil after each race weekend.

Competition SM 10W40

Running elf in the Box and diff too. But can't remember which ones.

It sux that the series is sponsored by Castrol but yet they don't offer us deals on their oils. Though they do pay for our TV coverage. But it couldn't hurt to throw in some deals so that we support and use the brand.

Untill they do I will stick to what I trust and know. Elf.

What Oil Filters are you guys using? I just use the Z88A Ryco filter. Had a heap of problems with the Repco ones though. They leak. Not from the main seal but from where the casings attachés to the mounting.

Been wanting to try the K&N filters but can't find them.

All M20B20 stuff btw.

Guest FrantiC

+1 to repco filters sucking.

I usually get Valvoline ones and use Valvoline premium oil. Goes black real fast, I've done like 3 oil changes on my 2.7 turbo already lol.

Repco oil filters ARE Ryco ones, just rebranded. Like the Repco oil is just Mobil oil rebranded.

Castrol Magatec.

+1, my Repco filter initially leaked from the Seal.

Fuuuu Supercheap auto not stocking FRAM, or NGK sparkplugs for M20's.

Castrol Magatec.

+1, my Repco filter initially leaked from the Seal.

Fuuuu Supercheap auto not stocking FRAM, or NGK sparkplugs for M20's.

They stock NGK plugs instore all the time <_< but supercheap is getting the ryco line over repco very soon.

Damn you Auckland...

Supercheap Dunedin doesn't stock much for these. no NGK stocks, no FRAM oil or air filters. Would have to order it all in.

Even though theres heaps of E30's in Dunedin.

Repco seem to have everything though.

0w60 is for the S54 I'd use the 10w40full synthetic on the earlier M3's

Is that definitely the case? I am sure I have seen a different recommendation last I looked into it. Does the latest TIS definitely say 10W40 (I'd feel better if it did).

Either way, what's in there now is what Guido @ BMWorkshop put in (10 or 15W40) and it seems good and I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

(edit) Have also started replacing it at 5k intervals as I noticed the vanos was quieter and operated better when the oil was fresher. I could be imagining it (spending money helps my imagination), but I figure it won't hurt.

Edited by CamB

Is that definitely the case? I am sure I have seen a different recommendation last I looked into it. Does the latest TIS definitely say 10W40 (I'd feel better if it did).

Either way, what's in there now is what Guido @ BMWorkshop put in (10 or 15W40) and it seems good and I'm sure he knows what he's doing.

(edit) Have also started replacing it at 5k intervals as I noticed the vanos was quieter and operated better when the oil was fresher. I could be imagining it (spending money helps my imagination), but I figure it won't hurt.

Guido and I would agree and we both know what were doing.... WE HAVE TOO

hmm, last oil change was an inspection 2 service at Page European and they used 5w30 Castrol Professional

that's in my '96 E36

hmm, last oil change was an inspection 2 service at Page European and they used 5w30 Castrol Professional

that's in my '96 E36

Thats not going to cause problems in our climate under normal driving conditions. Most modern oil will do the trick if the engine is in good condition. Oil unfortunately gets blamed for alot of maintenence issues which has no bearing on the oil that is used.

BTW: Oil definately won't damage your headgasket.. so have no fears there... oil in your dizzy cap will though.. but thats covered in another thread somewhere

Edited by *Glenn*

i would keep using that.... i use castrol sport 25-60 in mine but its a littlet more than standard and provers the best for me in regards to oil temp etc

Repco oil filters ARE Ryco ones, just rebranded. Like the Repco oil is just Mobil oil rebranded.

They are not anymore. Unless you get old stock. They are now some cheap ass brand.