Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

What oil do you use in your bimmer?

Guido and I would agree and we both know what were doing.... WE HAVE TOO

Mint - thanks :) I feel better now.

Castrol Magnatec 10w40 cause its was on special and Adam Gilchrist said its good.

M20b23

Edited by tastic

I use the good oil. ELF from Glenn. In fact, I used too gooda oil in the E30.

On a side note, be happy you can get any BMW aftermarket service parts, I cant get anything for the Megane other than the Oil, I had to get a oil filter threw Renault for $65.00!! NGK NZ don’t stock replacement plugs for the Megane either.

On a side note, be happy you can get any BMW aftermarket service parts, I cant get anything for the Megane other than the Oil, I had to get a oil filter threw Renault for $65.00!! NGK NZ don’t stock replacement plugs for the Megane either.

Have you tried to get Bosch plugs Graham ??

Buy them off the web, there's heaps off Renault places in the UK. I got quoted $252 for spark plugs for the Lexus, landed them for $107.

Yes, I really need to embrace online purchasing and plan ahead, in Europe Renault parts are the same price as a Toyota or other mainstream brand, in NZ they cost more than BMW parts!!

Thats not going to cause problems in our climate under normal driving conditions. Most modern oil will do the trick if the engine is in good condition. Oil unfortunately gets blamed for alot of maintenence issues which has no bearing on the oil that is used.

BTW: Oil definately won't damage your headgasket.. so have no fears there... oil in your dizzy cap will though.. but thats covered in another thread somewhere

choice, thank you for the peace of mind :)

Thats not going to cause problems in our climate under normal driving conditions. Most modern oil will do the trick if the engine is in good condition. Oil unfortunately gets blamed for alot of maintenence issues which has no bearing on the oil that is used.

BTW: Oil definately won't damage your headgasket.. so have no fears there... oil in your dizzy cap will though.. but thats covered in another thread somewhere

choice, thank you for the peace of mind :)

Does that mean that the "grade" of the oil doesn't matter so much... but the quality of the oil is more important?

For example: It might be better to put it quality 5-30 instead of el cheapo 10-40?

Does it matter whether its full synthetic or not?

Does that mean that the "grade" of the oil doesn't matter so much... but the quality of the oil is more important?

For example: It might be better to put it quality 5-30 instead of el cheapo 10-40?

Does it matter whether its full synthetic or not?

Ideally you use the recommended type and grade specified by the manufacturer or the oil company. Some cars however , through experience we use different oils for different applications

I run brad penn oil in all my cars/bikes now. Top quality stuff. Oh and I get it cheap :D

Don't see any point in using 5w or 0w because we don't have -20degree unless it's winter in Central Otago.

I refused to buy into the hype on Castrol Edge and Mobil1 being the best. The engineers at Exxon Mobil said off the record, that there is no evidence that their oil is better. Even if their marketing department claim so, no one can refute the claim because it cannot be proven.

As long as it meets the ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4 specs then I'll use it for the M52 engine as stated on BMW TIS. So currently I have Fuchs 15w40 semi-synthetic in the engine, I'm no expert but it seems to be more smoother than the Castrol Magnatec 10w40.

I will be getting some Mobil1 Synthetic 0w40 next time, lol, but simply because they are the cheapest oil I can get.

I put Mobil 1 in one of the E30s once, it leaked out to my amusement, went back to a semi synthetic/conventional oil, no problems.

Edited by Palazzo

So what's the best oil for my '96 318ti? Repco is currently having a sale on its Mobil range (excluding Mobil 1).

I think synthetic lasts longer and the change frequency aligns with the car's Oil Service lights. Somebody used a cheapo brand before, and the engine sounded rough only just after three months.

Seems that i'd be better off getting original oil filter from Jeff Gray?

So what's the best oil for my '96 318ti? Repco is currently having a sale on its Mobil range (excluding Mobil 1).

I think synthetic lasts longer and the change frequency aligns with the car's Oil Service lights. Somebody used a cheapo brand before, and the engine sounded rough only just after three months.

Seems that i'd be better off getting original oil filter from Jeff Gray?

10w40 or 15w40. semi or full synthetic....always use a genuine oil filter

Do you guys change when the service light comes on? Or every 10000k?

On an E36 the service lights are at 10k intervals. 2,000km per green light

Do you guys change when the service light comes on? Or every 10000k?

The service light is probably designed for the BMW LL-01 oil which is suppose to last longer.

I change every 10,000km or 12 months, which ever comes first. Never use the service light, they take too long about 20,000 for my e46.

I have flush my engine twice and it's still gets dirty after 6 months. My previous car still had see-through oil after 12months :)

E46 service lights set to 25k and adjust the interval by semi logic dependant on drivers driving style

I have flush my engine twice and it's still gets dirty after 6 months. My previous car still had see-through oil after 12months :)

Doesn't necessarily mean your engine is much cleaner. Could be that the oil isn't doing its job as well?

ELF NZ Ltd are compiling a full BMW oil chart for me on a CD which I'll post and sticky when I get it. This will cover all lubricants, engine, gear box, diffs etc. I should get this next week

Will save all these long winded threads asking these same old questions over and over again. You can then decide who's product you want to use. The specifications will be the same for all oil munufacturers.

Edited by *Glenn*

Service lights on E36, CBS warnings on E60.

Can this be altered?

Can this be altered?

No it cant...its anolog not digital

Edited by *Glenn*

ah ok, sweet as

just that I like to do an oil change every 7500kms and was thinking it would be nice to line up the service light indicator with that

might have to stop being an odd-ball and do it every 10,000kms :)

ELF NZ Ltd are compiling a full BMW oil chart for me on a CD which I'll post and sticky when I get it. This will cover all lubricants, engine, gear box, diffs etc. I should get this next week

Will save all these long winded threads asking these same old questions over and over again. You can then decide who's product you want to use. The specifications will be the same for all oil munufacturers.

Be nice to have a geeze at this :)