Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

Bimmernav

Has anyone bought anything from Bimmernav.com? If so, how was your experience?

With the new laws regarding mobile phone use while driving coming into force soon I thought its a good time to upgrade my built in phone to the BMW bluetooth system.

However I can't see the bluetooth kits listed on the Bimmernav store any more. I've emailed them and thus far haven't heard back.

If they no longer sell the kits where else can I get one from? Is there a local supplier?

Cheers

Matt

Has anyone bought anything from Bimmernav.com? If so, how was your experience?

With the new laws regarding mobile phone use while driving coming into force soon I thought its a good time to upgrade my built in phone to the BMW bluetooth system.

However I can't see the bluetooth kits listed on the Bimmernav store any more. I've emailed them and thus far haven't heard back.

If they no longer sell the kits where else can I get one from? Is there a local supplier?

Cheers

Matt

Yep, bought a Bluetooth upgrade from them for a Jap E39 that I converted Jap phone to Euro system (I had already done the nav & radio change in this car) Once Bluetooth was going the car had voice control nav & phone :) Brilliant!

Funnily enough was looking on their site the other day re E65 & their Bluetooth wasn't there either. Didn't look re E39 though

I've dug a little deeper and found that on the contact us page of their store it says:

PLEASE NOTE: We are currently moving our offices and voicemails may be not returned promptly. Please email if you are looking for a prompt response.

I would have expected that their products would have still been online though.

At least they aren't going out of business!!

Called Bimmernav and got an answerphone which said to email them. Still no reply to my original email so I've been doing some further research.

Can anyone tell me which ULF bracket I need?

I have TV, DSP, GSM Apollo phone and CD Changer but no Nav.

Real OEM diagram is here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=20&hl=3

Also, Barvarian Soundwerks has a bluetooth kit - is this likely to be identical to the Bimmernav product - its a decent amount cheaper but is outside the date range for my car. I haven't contacted these guys yet. Anyone know if it will still work on a 1999 with the Apollo phone currently installed? Anyone bought from them before?

Lastly, does anyone know the differences between the 11th and 13th Gen ULFs? 11th Gen seem to be about half the price of 13th Gen.

Thanks

Matt

Have a read here : http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1323679

I too am considering Bluetooth for the E39.

Ebay UK have ULF modules starting bids at 30 pounds. I have no idea what they end up costing tho.

Cheers.

Edited by lidistick

Have a read here : http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1323679

I too am considering Bluetooth for the E39.

Ebay UK have ULF modules starting bids at 30 pounds. I have no idea what they end up costing tho.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reply, very interesting. I haven't heard of TCU before and thought that ULF was the only option.

Can any clarify if a snap-in adapter can still be used with TCU?

I've checked UK eBay and put a few bids on but the ULFs I've seen all seem to be over 100 pounds - eaven for the early ones, 4th Gen, etc.

I can get a brand new 11th Gen ULF for about NZ$360 - 13th Gen is $1380! No idea on TCU pricing though.

My car already has the built in phone and has awesome reception pretty much everywhere. Eventually I want to get a snap in adapter and use the aerial on the roof - anyone know if I can still do this with the TCU?

Cheers

Matt

Can any clarify if a snap-in adapter can still be used with TCU?

Yes it works.

The snap-in adapter will provide you with the following functionality:

1. Physically hold the phone

2. Charge the phone (power)

3. Provide a connection to the external antenna

All other functions happen via the Bluetooth connection to the TCU or ULF.

In fact, the TCU or ULF work in exactly the same way even without a snap-in adapter - eg with your phone in your pocket. Only difference is that the phone is not getting charged and the external antenna is not being used.

Yes it works.

The snap-in adapter will provide you with the following functionality:

1. Physically hold the phone

2. Charge the phone (power)

3. Provide a connection to the external antenna

All other functions happen via the Bluetooth connection to the TCU or ULF.

In fact, the TCU or ULF work in exactly the same way even without a snap-in adapter - eg with your phone in your pocket. Only difference is that the phone is not getting charged and the external antenna is not being used.

Thanks for that. Anyone know why there is a CDMA and a GSM version. I would have thought the TCU would leave this up to the phone. Which is technically better, TCU or ULF?

Current BMW BT compatibilty chart.

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bluetooth/compa...1312___,00.html

and have bought quite a bit through bimmernav .. great to deal with, I wouldn't stress to much on the fact they are taking a while to get back to you. They will no doubt when they can. They have a very good reputation and compeditive pricing I've found.

Thanks for that. Anyone know why there is a CDMA and a GSM version. I would have thought the TCU would leave this up to the phone. Which is technically better, TCU or ULF?

the reason is TCU stands for TELEMATICS CONTROL UNIT

The Telematics functions (Assist, auto emergency call, etc) uses a phone built in to the TCU

Thus the TCU has to be the right phone version (CDMA or GSM) in accordance with your country`s phone system

If you never use and never plan to use the Telematics, then the CDMA unit will work fine.

Alternatively to the above, it may also be that the TCU accesses your SIM card and then makes the phone call using the TCU phone transceiver. If this is the case, then you must use the GSM version for NZ. But I am not sure if this is true. Try and see!

OK, makes sense now, thanks Jochen.

Does anyone know the difference between the 11th and 13th Gen ULFs? Would this be documented anywhere?

There is a $1000 price difference so there must be some differences but its hard to think that there will be enough to justify the extra cost. I may get an iPhone one day so compatibility with that would be nice but if the 11th Gen works with my Blackberry Bold I'll probably get that and hope it works with whatever phone I get next.

Interestingly I see a snap-in adapter for the Blackberry Bold is now available although would probably need modifying to fit in a E39.

I'm now in regular contact with Amy from Bimmernav and making good progress on getting a bluetooth kit however it isn't as simple as first thought.

My car has the factory Motorola V Plus GSM system and Bimmernav need to know which wires are where and what each of them does on the connectors at the centre console (18 pin) and DB25 connector in the boot. There isn't a plug and play solution for this, they are going to make a custom loom for me with a DB25 to 54pin connector.

Here are the wire colours I have at each connector, can anyone help with what each of these wires does?

DB25

Pin 1, Yellow with Red stripe

Pin 2, Empty

Pin 3, Brown with Black stripe

Pin 4, Red with Yellow stripe

Pin 5, Purple with Red stripe

Pin 6, Empty

Pin 7, Empty

Pin 8, Empty

Pin 9, Empty

Pin 10, White with Brown stripe

Pin 11, Light Blue

Pin 12, White + Red stripes / dots

Pin 13, Empty

Pin 14, Brown with White stripe

Pin 15, White

Pin 16, Red with Yellow stripe

Pin 17, Brown with Black stripe

Pin 18, White + Green stripes / dots

Pin 19, Black with White stripe

Pin 20, Brown with Green stripe

Pin 21, Empty

Pin 22, Empty

Pin 23, Yellow

Pin 24, White with Black stripe

Pin 25, Brown with Black stripe

18 Pin Connector

Pin 1, Light Blue

Pin 2, White + Red stripes / dots

Pin 3, White + Green stripes / dots

Pin 4, Yellow with Red stripe

Pin 5, Empty

Pin 6, Empty

Pin 7, Yellow

Pin 8, Purple

Pin 9, White + Yellow stripes / dots

Pin 10, Red with Yellow Stripe

Pin 11, White with Yellow stripe

Pin 12, Empty

Pin 13, Empty

Pin 14, Empty

Pin 15, Grey with Red stripe

Pin 16, Empty

Pin 17, Brown with Black stripe

Pin 18, White with Black stripe

Thanks

Matt

I have to ask but wouldn't something like a Parrot MKi9100 be a better solution. RRP $499, pretty much plug and play into factory loom.

Will give you more functionality and probably better sounding connection.

Edited by rogan

Here are the wire colours I have at each connector, can anyone help with what each of these wires does?

Why don't you look it up in the WDS?

It's all online... http://spaghetticoder.org/bmw/wds/

All wire colours and wire functions are there...

PS: use IE otherwise you canot zoom on the wiring diagrams

I have to ask but wouldn't something like a Parrot MKi9100 be a better solution. RRP $499, pretty much plug and play into factory loom.

Hi Rogan,

I've had a look at the Parrot integration systems. The unit is not to badly priced but the loom to cut into the factory wiring is not cheap. Quoted at $299 for the touring and another $150 for fitting. If DIY, no warranty on the Parrot.

Cheers.

Hi Rogan,

I've had a look at the Parrot integration systems. The unit is not to badly priced but the loom to cut into the factory wiring is not cheap. Quoted at $299 for the touring and another $150 for fitting. If DIY, no warranty on the Parrot.

Cheers.

I was in at Eds Autos (3B, 155 Stoddard Rd, Mt Roskill) today and priced the loom. Can't remember exact amount but $30 give or take a bit. That's the square plug with round connectors. Someone's fleecing you at $299 !!!

Eds are a Parrot dealer so might pay to give them a ring and price it through them.

I don't like the idea or having something stuck on the dashboard. I can get the OEM blueooth solution for under NZ$800 and install it myself and I think that is better value.

What extra functionality will the Parrot give me? I think it actually offers less.

I don't like the idea or having something stuck on the dashboard. I can get the OEM blueooth solution for under NZ$800 and install it myself and I think that is better value.

Fair enough. I struggle to find space for my gate remote (must hardwire it one of these days), so can imagine the space saving from being fully integrated.

Can a TCU definately be re-coded? I've just noticed on realoem:

A TCU (telematic control unit) can

only be ordered by specifying the

vehicle identification number. The

VIN is coded when the replacement

TCU is delivered. Recoding is not

possible. The TCU functions properly

only with matching coding. Replacements

TCUs cannot therefore be ordered in

reserve! Retrofits and conversions

to SA633 are not possible!

Is this correct or can Navcoder do it? I don't need the BMW Assist part of it - just the bluetooth to work.

Can a TCU definately be re-coded? I've just noticed on realoem:

Is this correct or can Navcoder do it? I don't need the BMW Assist part of it - just the bluetooth to work.

I've done a few... it works fine

The ones I've done are the USA TCUs, a few happy campers there now (enabled VR, set a few options and settings)

Not 100% functional according to BMW, because some functions like making the Bluetooth Name match the car I cannot do

But if you can live with "BMW" as the Bluetooth name then it works fine :-)

I've done a few... it works fine

The ones I've done are the USA TCUs, a few happy campers there now (enabled VR, set a few options and settings)

Not 100% functional according to BMW, because some functions like making the Bluetooth Name match the car I cannot do

But if you can live with "BMW" as the Bluetooth name then it works fine :-)

Awesome, I'm going to go down the TCU route. Finding one is proving hard to find at the moment. Ebay is also quite different to TradeMe - I've missed out on a couple of items now... people bidding at the very last second and no auto-extend.

Anyone know what the difference is between SA633 and SA638? Both are called Telematics Control Units but have different part numbers. Can I use either in a E39?

I guess my real question is what is the latest ibus TCU part number with bluetooth?

SA638 has a listing for an E39 - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=10&hl=4 which says that the last part number is 84109187926.

SA633 doesn't have a listing for an E39 but does for an E46 - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...;fg=20&hl=9 - latest part number is 84109207075.

I've found out a little more info to help answer my question above.

SA633 is known as "Business mobile phone preparation"

SA638 is known as "Professional car phone"

SA644 is known as "universal charging/hands-free electronics" - bluetooth via ULF method

Does anyone know what this means exactly?

Does it mean that a TCU from SA638 can make more than just assist / emergency calls? Perhaps it has a slot for a SIM card?

Anyone had any experience with this?

Some further info from a page I have translated HERE

A BT phone you can at TCU 633 SA pair too. In the SA 638, you can only pair the handset.

Does that mean that I need a 633 TCU and that a 638 TCU will only pair with the centre console handset?

OK, I've taken the plunge and bought a GSM TCU from an E46 / E83 SA633 ex Germany.

Total cost delivered is to be NZ$625 for the kit from Bimmernav and the TCU - fingers crossed it works!

That also includes an eject box (which I don't need with the TCU) but I may use it down the track. Without that the total cost would be over $100 less.

Watch this space.