Sign in to follow this  
nordschleife

Bimmernav

keen to see how it turns out. am looking myself :) .. the nerdy motorola ear piece just doesnt cut it.

I've found out a little more info to help answer my question above.

SA633 is known as "Business mobile phone preparation"

SA638 is known as "Professional car phone"

SA644 is known as "universal charging/hands-free electronics" - bluetooth via ULF method

Does anyone know what this means exactly?

Does it mean that a TCU from SA638 can make more than just assist / emergency calls? Perhaps it has a slot for a SIM card?

Anyone had any experience with this?

633 = preparation for phone, but no phone fitted - eg: wiring and microphone in place.

638 = phone fitted and working

644 = ULF, which you know about

Kit has now arrived from Bimmernav. They have been really helpful. Also noticed that they now sell TCU bluetooth kits - can't help but think that I may have played a part in that. My TCU still hasn't arrived from Germany, hopefully its no more than a few days away.

I fitted the BT antenna last night under the parcel tray (as recommended in a SIB to reduce static etc, usual location would be in the centre console). I found out as part of that process that the sub woofer enclosure is made by Nokia - I thought they stuck to phones!

The eject box has a couple of terminals looped. I've made a note of their colours and locations but haven't had a chance to work out their purpose as yet. There are 4 wires which look original. Pin 1 Green, Pin 3 white, Pin 8 Red, Pin 17 Brown. A thinner gauge white wire loops pins 9 and 18 and a thinner gauge green wire loops pins 2 and 11.

Edited by nordschleife

Can anyone tell me what type / standard / grade of cable I need for the roof aerial to the eject box? Is it RJ58?

http://www.tech-faq.com/rg-58.shtml

It looks similar but I want to make sure I get the correct type.

Cheers

Matt

RJ58 is not good coax for use at 2GHz

Given that you will be working with GSM1800 signals, you need to look at the spec for coax cables at 2GHz

Go for the lowest loss cable you can find.

Ideally, a 10mm cable like LMR400 or RG213 would work well, but you may find that hard to run in the car.

So go for the lowest loss 5mm coax cable you can find...

TCU has arrived today from Germany although its a different part number to the one I ordered - the part number is not listed on realoem.

Still has the BT logo on it so I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens.

TCU has arrived today from Germany although its a different part number to the one I ordered - the part number is not listed on realoem.

Still has the BT logo on it so I'll give it a go tonight and see what happens.

What part number?

PS I now have TCU-GSM support in NavCoder, so you can code the TCU... enable VR etc

Part number is 84 11 6 965 055.

Good news about it being in Navcoder. In theory should the BT side of thing be plug and play?

It has a sim card reader in this TCU also. It came with a T Mobile sim in the slot.

Part number is 84 11 6 965 055.

Good news about it being in Navcoder. In theory should the BT side of thing be plug and play?

It has a sim card reader in this TCU also. It came with a T Mobile sim in the slot.

6 965 055 = TCU-GSM, made up to March 2005

So thats good

I would be interested to hear how you go - have you got NavCoder to code the unit?

As far as the rest of the car goes it is plug and play, the BMW Nav will automatically recognise the TCU and display the TELEPHONE option on the menu

Whether Voice Recognition works will be interesting...

Fingers crossed.

I've downloaded Navcoder but don't have the interface yet (it should arrive next 10 days or so - coming back from Europe with Father in Law).

I think "Dogballs" has one and is only 20 mins down the road so hopefully I can use that in the meantime.

Many thanks for your replies.

Cheers

Matt

Good news and bad news.

I've plugged it in and it is recognised by the car (I get the telephone menu in the TV).

However, when I select telephone the car than displays "Activate Phone". This is also shown on the MID when I press the phone button on the steering wheel.

I've tried both the ULF pairing procedure (using the button on the eject box) and the TCU pairing procedure but my phone can't find the car.

It let's me attempt emergecy calls but as I haven't yet connected the antenna they don't connect.

Any ideas?

That last post was from my phone so here is some further info about the unit I have from the stickers on it:

84.11 6965055-01

232923 23

USA 21.12.2004

BMW EVEREST IBUS ECE

SW:30 HW:35

BT: 00E00C5D21E3

PK: 8676

IMEI: 352884003346633

EIX0000035 EVEIBS33H5

It also has a BMW logo, Motorola logo and bluetooth logo. Would have been easier to post a picture but my camera isn't here.

I've found some other posts where the problem has been the actual phone but I've paired it with other BMWs before without issue.

Any help or advice appreciated.

A quick update:

I've tried to pair a second phone (Motorola Razr) and still no joy.

I also tried a Voda sim instead of the T-Mobile.de just to see if it made any difference - no change from the T-Mobile sim.

Could it be that BT needs to be enabled on the TCU?

Other forums (US based) mention that TCUs for model year 2004 have the BT logo but don't actually have BT. My unit is from December 2004 (2005 model year) so should be OK - is there any way of verifying this is not my problem?

That last post was from my phone so here is some further info about the unit I have from the stickers on it:

84.11 6965055-01

232923 23

USA 21.12.2004

BMW EVEREST IBUS ECE

SW:30 HW:35

BT: 00E00C5D21E3

PK: 8676

IMEI: 352884003346633

EIX0000035 EVEIBS33H5

It also has a BMW logo, Motorola logo and bluetooth logo. Would have been easier to post a picture but my camera isn't here.

I've found some other posts where the problem has been the actual phone but I've paired it with other BMWs before without issue.

Any help or advice appreciated.

Check the following:

1. Bluetooth is switched on

2. The coded VIN matches your car

3. The external Bluetooth handset is switched off

4. And you may want to switch off the Assist function...

To do all the above, you need NavCoder :-)

PS: don't forget that your pairing code is 8676

Edited by jochen

Good news and bad news.

I've plugged it in and it is recognised by the car (I get the telephone menu in the TV).

However, when I select telephone the car than displays "Activate Phone". This is also shown on the MID when I press the phone button on the steering wheel.

I've tried both the ULF pairing procedure (using the button on the eject box) and the TCU pairing procedure but my phone can't find the car.

It let's me attempt emergecy calls but as I haven't yet connected the antenna they don't connect.

Any ideas?

Wow - you have nav screen and rear MID?

Quite rare, I've only ever seen this on the 750iLs...

(Of course: don't confuse the instrument cluster Check Control display with the MID... they are 2 different items - the MID is the Multi-Info-Display with buttons and volume control that sits under the radio in the front console, or in the rear armrest (as a rear MID) on the 750iL)

Anyway, pairing method for a TCU is the TCU method. The pairing button does nothing.

I have some manuals and diagnostic info for the TCU. Send me your email address

Edited by jochen

Wow - you have nav screen and rear MID?

Quite rare, I've only ever seen this on the 750iLs...

(Of course: don't confuse the instrument cluster Check Control display with the MID... they are 2 different items - the MID is the Multi-Info-Display with buttons and volume control that sits under the radio in the front console, or in the rear armrest (as a rear MID) on the 750iL)

Anyway, pairing method for a TCU is the TCU method. The pairing button does nothing.

I have some manuals and diagnostic info for the TCU. Send me your email address

Sorry, my bad. You are correct, MID was the wrong term, I was meaning the Check Control Display.

Cheers

PS, email address sent

Edited by nordschleife

However, when I select telephone the car than displays "Activate Phone". This is also shown on the <Check Control Display> when I press the phone button on the steering wheel.

Quote:

"If no paired mobile phone is detected inside the vehicle, the message "ACTIVATE PHONE" appears on the display or monitor."

You need to pair a phone

Have you got a Bluetooth antenna connected to the TCU?

No antenna = no Bluetooth signal = no pairing!

Yes, I have got a Bluetooth antenna connected to the TCU.

Even if I hold the phone up against the TCU it still won't pair.

My work email address has gone down so I have just sent you an email form my gmail account for the TCU diag info.

Thanks

Matt

A big thanks to Jochen and Dean "Dogballs" for their help in getting this working.

4 Hours with Jochen on skype on Skype on Saturday morning and then further time Saturday night / Sunday morning, several new Navcoder betas and I have sucessfully paired my phone to my car with my GSM TCU. I've got full address book in the TV, signal strength in the TV, etc and it works really well. Apparently this is only the second one to work sucessfuly - the other one in Belgium last week.

I can't say enough thanks to those guys!

Interestingly it uses the "Phone Access Server" bluetooth profile (ULFs and other BMWs I have paired with use the "Hands-Free Unit" profile) and therefore some BT phones won't be able to find the car when doing a search - this is the case for my Blackberry Pearl and Motorola Razr. However my Blackberry Bold and wife's Sony C510 work perfectly.

Cheers

Matt

Not yet... I doubt I'd use it but I'm happy to be a guinea pig for Jochen if he wants to try.

TCU VR can't do Nav - only phone.

good stuff to know...

Excellent. So does VR work with the TCU?

The reason we couldn't get VR to work was that his TCU does not support VR

TCU with Coding Index 05 and later support VR, but Matts was Coding Index 04

Which is why I had to quickly update NavCoder: I've only seen Coding Index 05 in the past, and the data structure of Coding Index 04 was different....