Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Should we have a DIY section

I seriously vote to have a specific DIY forum section. Even if mods have to approve posting in there. Would keep all DIY's together and encourage more people to post decent ones.

My 2c

I seriously vote to have a specific DIY forum section. Even if mods have to approve posting in there. Would keep all DIY's together and encourage more people to post decent ones.

My 2c

+1

+2 I will make some DIY's on how wire can save heaps of money, hold's everything on, radiators, oil coolers ect ect

+1000 votes.

DIY section for sure.

Doesnt matter what model its for, just have a guideline (rules) like as to how the "DIY How-To" thread is to be "written".

And the mods can delete the thread if the modification is highly illegal (eg cut springs) or dangerous or whatever or if the poster didnt stick to the guidelines.

EDIT: may also like to make a part of the guidelines that you need to add in approx cost of materials required (eg that paint is $15ish...cant find receipt) so be good if people can put that in, so if you are to do that mod, then people know how much it will cost them, apposed to taking to a shop to do it. :)

Edited by Shady

And the mods can delete the thread if the modification is highly illegal (eg cut springs) or dangerous or whatever or if the poster didnt stick to the guidelines.

You mean like when people spray the reflectors on the headlights :rolleyes:

+1 Mark

I think it would be a great asset if not too difficult to do.

Where does it say its illegal? The lights still work -_-

And the reflectors are 'polished' for a reason.

A DIY section could be a great idea, but are you along with everyone else going to be happy with what Admin consider to be 'legal' or 'safe' ? Because if we stick strictly to whats legal, this thread would be out for a start.

I dont want to ruin Mark's thread by going off topic, and Im not having a go at your Mark at all because Ive tinted plenty of amber lights red in the past but making a DIY section might not be as clear cut as you think.

Edited by Penry

A DIY section could be a great idea, but are you along with everyone else going to be happy with what Admin consider to be 'legal' or 'safe' ? Because if we stick strictly to whats legal, this thread would be out for a start.

I dont want to ruin Mark's thread by going off topic, and Im not having a go at your Mark at all because Ive tinted plenty of amber lights red in the past but making a DIY section might not be as clear cut as you think.

I think what's considered legal is actually pretty clear cut, and safe, well that's just common sense and I would hope that the admin & mods have that in the first place as they are ultimately responsible for the board. Like for e.g., it is plain to see that painting reflectors is not safe nor legal.

A DIY section would get my vote. Don't see a problem with it at all.

Sorry for the OT Mark. But I suppose it's ok if a mod went OT first right?

The paint is a clear paint. Is made for glass, so, when the idicators flash, it still flashes yellow (well mine do anyway). Painting your taillights with solid black paint is illegal as it stops any light from coming thru. Spray tint is not legal, as even with only a one or two coats it will slowly go darker, as it dries (which I found out with my old pair or lights).

Blah blah blah, yeah this is all old news man..

It's illegal to spray any paint on your tail lights not just tint spray..

Can the mods clean up Marks thread? I feel like sh*t now for making it go off topic.

And can we just have an indication if that idea is getting second thoughts so we can stop going on about it?

+1 for mod section

Great idea

The topics have now been split.

Shady, you dont have to post a dozen times in the same thread saying the same thing after youve already been told to keep it on topic.

There are a million and one posts on forums around the world on how to do anything and its debatable as to whether the is any point to putting the same thing up here. If you do a search you'll find this has been discussed several times in the past.

My opinion on the benefits of having a DIY section:

- Easier to point noobs in the right direction of common mods instead of having them battle with the rather inadequate search engine.

- Mods can be chassis specific if necessary (E30, E36, E34 etc). Currently chassis codes aren't picked up by the search which requires more than three characters to work.

- Stops noobs posting endless threads on how to all-red your tail lights. ;)

- Not all mods are clearly documented on other forums, and a lot pertain to US spec cars, products or parts which are often unavailable or at least quite different to ours.

- Encourages members to post the process of their mods rather than just the results. 

As Antileet mentioned, locking the DIY section and having admin move the best threads into it will stop posting of ridiculous things like "How to: lock your diff" or "DIY: Putting stockings on your headlights"

I think its a great idea as long as its not stupid little things

Things along the lines of Marks bumpers,Nicks Doorcards, Whoever it was that painted the standard E36 wheels etc are all good items. They don't get old and people will read them in months/years to come. Far better than having to dig through a 30 odd page project thread to find it.

I would have thought it could only add value to the forum?

another +1.

well DIY is follow at your own discretion...

DIY step by step like removing transmission... intake manifold... head gasket replacement etc.. to trivial stuff like angel eyes installation, oil change, brake pad change, rotor removal, car painting etc

share the knowledge around :D i'll be contributing as well if it does take off. i do all sorts of stuff to my cars

Edited by Docile

I think its a great idea as long as its not stupid little things

Things along the lines of Marks bumpers,Nicks Doorcards, Whoever it was that painted the standard E36 wheels etc are all good items. They don't get old and people will read them in months/years to come. Far better than having to dig through a 30 odd page project thread to find it.

I would have thought it could only add value to the forum?

exactly what you said

I dont disagree with any of the points raised so far. Mark's initial post was excellent in fact.

But what people have to remember is that its up to you to make this happen. If you tint your rear lights then do a proper write up with photos and it can be considered for a sticky or even a new section.

What has often happened in the past is whilst there is always lots of enthusiasm initially there has been a complete lack of threads worthy of 'sticky' status afterwards.

If people dont bother to take photos or write up what theyve done any new section will just sit there empty.

There's no need to make a DIY Section..just bookmark this :D

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e30

haha

:spelling

They not all for the E30 though. And some are dead links. And there is alot more than that. We could simply copy & paste the good ones from that into the DIY section then put a link to the original so people know you didnt come up with the Mod?

There's not that many DIY's on BS that it badly needs it's own section.

Should just keep all the good DIY threads sticky'd in the project section IMO.

Doesn't it make more sense to wait till all these thousands of DIY threads get made to give them their own section?

Agreed.

**Thread closed** :D

I think a DIY section would be great. If there is a mod many people do, the person who has done it the best/will make the most informative and picture filled DIY thread should take priority on having the rights to the thread.

On a related note, I am most of the way through indexing my build thread with multiple links in the first post. A lot of people PM me all the time about the set-up and it would be nice not to write it over and over haha (or have Sent PM's saved, mods?? )

(or have Sent PM's saved, mods?? )

THIS!

When you send a PM, you can save it.