Sign in to follow this  
AzonicNick

E36 Audio install

PM Hayden. He's jafa.and.proud on the forum

Hayden did the design and instal of my system.

I supplied him with a sub speaker, he designed and built the sub box which fits beautifully into my boot.

He supplied the head unit, an Adzest amp and 51/4" Nakamichi woofers which he mounted into the front footwell along with Alpine Xovers and Alpine S2 Tweeters, all at a very reasonable price. He may be able to help you as well.

Check out my thread on my system.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....showtopic=23069

Cheers

Brian.

to remove that centre console pop out your hazard light smitch and u will notice theres a screw for the front on the console, undo that one and you should be sweet

Cheers guys, ill have another go tonight, see where I end up.

I might have to give Hayden a message in a few weeks once I've got the head unit in.

You should have called out when I was over mate. Or did you? :wacko:

Yea, lift up the hazzard switch, undo that screw and from memory thats all thats holding it, as well as the rear screw. Just lifts out. You will need to remove the gear stick surround if you want to route the cable down there, should just pull up. You might need to push up from underneath though.

You can probably get enough space to push from underneath if you take the OBC out and the ciggy lighter cover thing.

I wasnt thinking at the time Nick lol. I had another pull apart yesterday. I want to be ready to put it all together when the harness arives.

Ive had the OBC and small storage bit out, its just going around the shifter and then into the console.

Ill pop it apart again. Might pick up a RCA cable on the way home and leave it in there

Spent a little bit of time putting in my aux cable. None of it showing at all.

Didnt want to put it in the glovebox, worried it will fall apart if i open it enough times seeing how fragile they are. Cable is long enough to pass to the passengers in the back if they want to DJ it up :D

Now need to wait for the harness to show up. Cant wait

Where is it?

Posted Image

There it is..

Posted Image

very nice stealth setup so far:D just put in my new head unit today also. Took a while as there wasn't much room behind the head unit so the wires were jamming against the back. I found that when i took out the obc unit and while i was slotting it into the space, u pull down gently on the wires behind the obc unit which in fact are for the headunit. just a little advice that mite help if u have the same problem.

also probably need to get an amp to run the front speakers as my fronts are considerable lower than the rears maybe due to the fact that its running tweeters and speakers off the head unit so not enough power running to them.

Edited by Nite

Needs a manual box. Looks good otherwise, cant wait to see the Naka in there!

very cool. stealth is always the best.

Yea can't wait for the nak to go in! Hopefully it's all good as I havnt seen it running. No manual swap haha, m3 m3 but you know that.

Front speakers are the next thing. Then sub. Got to do some research on what fits uner the factory covers.

Yea can't wait for the nak to go in! Hopefully it's all good as I havnt seen it running. No manual swap haha, m3 m3 but you know that.

Front speakers are the next thing. Then sub. Got to do some research on what fits uner the factory covers.

PM, i can talk you about it, i know just thing speakers, and they will sound awesome,

Will find out if there is any stock left.

Yuss the wiring harness showed up, along with the ISO adaptors. Quickly installed it last night but its not sitting flush with the dash yet. Too many cables, not enough room behind the dash. There is a big plastic bit that doesnt do anything so will have a go at removing it this weekend and get it sitting perfectly.

Here is a crap picture of it at night. Next step front speakers..

Posted Image

Was gonna text you this morning but I think I lost my phone! :wacko:

Looks great from what I can see. And all the dashboard lights match!

Yea dude, very happy with it! Glad I went down the way I did even if I have a load of crap in the dash now with the ISO adaptors and so on lol.

I'll show you some time. Now to do some research on speakers.. can't wait. Although this car audi stuff is a little confusing lol.

Yea dude, very happy with it! Glad I went down the way I did even if I have a load of crap in the dash now with the ISO adaptors and so on lol.

I'll show you some time. Now to do some research on speakers.. can't wait. Although this car audi stuff is a little confusing lol.

Good work. If its still not sitting flush. remove the obc unit and the wires for the stereo are behind there. With mine i pulled down gently while sliding it further in and it seemed to work perfectly.

Good thinking, I'll have a go at that before hacking away at any plastic.

and before u push the head unit in fully before you can't touch behind it, try and make sure the plastic from the wiring looms/harness is on the left hand side so it makes it easier to slide the wiring down.

Now speakers.

Who has some decent 5.25s which will fit in the standard holes in the front panels?

Was looking at these on trademe. Don't want to spend much but am getting sick of the standard nokias. Dont want to amp them or anything. Will just run them off the head unit.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-279281450.htm

Any other ideas out there?

The Alpine type S are horrible IMO. If you're just looking for coaxial 5.25 on a tight budget then this is what you want http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-278608004.htm I had the 6.5 version and they go well. For the effort you've put in, spend a bit more and get component fronts. The fronts are the most important bit of the stereo system so suggest you re-consider your no frills type approach.

PM GLIDN, think he's done some e36s and should be able to give you some solid advice.

Let me know when you decide to get a sub. Still got a fair bit of Image Dynamics stock left

Pjay Im not a member of NZice so cant see it.

Who is selling them? New i guess? Fit straight into the doors with no mods? Sound OK with no amp just yet?

hows that for a heap of questions :P

Now speakers.

Who has some decent 5.25s which will fit in the standard holes in the front panels?

Was looking at these on trademe. Don't want to spend much but am getting sick of the standard nokias. Dont want to amp them or anything. Will just run them off the head unit.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-279281450.htm

Any other ideas out there?

Dude, I put in some 6.5" panasonics. Not a fan of panasonics but I heard them and they are fine, better still they are shallow as and not only that they screw up almost to the mm, all you need to do is a bit of plastic removal on the inside of the kicks, you cant see any difference on the outside, its just to clear the speakers as they are the next size up. its also cool to know you have 6.5's too. They sound fine, I used the standard wiring so its an inexpensive upgrade, there are not many speakers you can put in there due to the shallowness dude, cant remember the part numbers but they are your std panasonic 6.5, about 60bucks...and got to be better than stock bro. I was going to put in powerplants, but I would have to get the grinder out big time and since I run a sub its not worth it...well not to me anyway, I still got twin tweeters in the doors and rear 6.5" reactors, so what they hey.