Sign in to follow this  
andrewballantine

1998 E55 AMG

Im talking with a seller about swapping my Sti coupe and some cash for a 1998 E55 AMG, but I've never driven one and any info would help. The good and the Bad.

I've driven one, but a later 2001 model which is a facelift, I've also owned a CLK-55 AMG & can report that it & the E55 will absolutely dominate any standard Subaru, in terms of brute performance, looks & pure style! I think the E series is 260kw and 530nm, my CLK was slightly less. These cars are the hammers of the car performance sector. I think the only issue with a 1998 version is that the dash and some parts of the exterior are kind of looking a bit dated if you know what I mean, but if it were me, I'd take it & run LOL. From what I was told, they were pretty bullet proof too, but with all euro stuff I'd recommend a mechanical inspection by the manufacturer, your local garage who does trailer WOF's on Saturdays probably wouldn't know where to start... If you can, grab an aftermarket warranty just incase something does go wrong because they can be very big bickies to fix. From memory they are around the 200k mark new but they sure feel like it!

Awesome cars, good luck!

EDIT: Do you have a link? Is it an import or NZ New? Mileage? (out of interest)

Edited by Clinton

Actually, the performance figures (to 100km/h at least) are probably slightly in the Subbies favour, but it won't feel like it. I've driven a CLK55AMG and it's areally nice quick car, feels quite brutal. I've also had an extended drive in an S55 Kompressor and that's another league again. I don't think you'd be disappointed with the E55 as long as you remember it's a big sedan, not a go kart. And I wouldn't go within 10 feet of it without a comprehensive check and warranty. $1300 for a seat switch, $1600 for a sunroof switch, $2500 for a radiator fan, etc etc.

Edited by Palazzo

upkeep cost on mercs are quite substantial compared to jap cars.. well as to be expected with euro cars. gas will be one of those things thats gonna dig into your pocket. so unless you can keep up with the costs you should think twice.

but ive driven a 2000 one. great car. deep sounding engine. and great pull. but a heavier car than your jappy so wont feel nimble around corners

Im talking with a seller about swapping my Sti coupe and some cash for a 1998 E55 AMG, but I've never driven one and any info would help. The good and the Bad.

Ok never happened, sold the sti for cash and drove my new c43 amg back from auckland two weeks back, thamks for the advice- it prob would have been a bad idea to get an E55- the c43 is really good on gas for a v8 and I don't think an e55 would handle as well either- they come with the same brakes too.