Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Toyota 3SGE Engine swap

I've been throwing up ideas recenlty about how to give my car a few more Pony's and I keep on comming back to the Toyota 3SGE engine, there a few points that apeal to me....

• Its ~$2500 for a Gen4 engine with a 6spd box
  • power is 210Hp @ 7600rpm (safe up to 8000rpm and 220hp with a few simple mods)
  • torque is 216 Nm @ 6400rpm
  • should do 600km to a tank
  • weight is ~100kg
  • since its a 4cyl it should handle better as the weight is further back
  • no problem with the steering as the exhaust is on the other side
  • The sump is the same shape as the M10 so no mods are needed for the subframe
  • Pretty bullet proof and don't cost much to maintain

Am I missing somthing?, as I can't find the swap ever been done before OR even being talked about OR maybe I just suck at searching google.

pic

Posted Image

Have toyed (pun intended) with this idea myself, its near the same specks as a S14 for little money, a major pro also being that the intake plenum is on the good side of the RHD e30 engine bay.

They are a responsive engine and with a stand alone, intake and Exhaust should yield what Toyota claimed they put out from factory.

Another plus is the availability of Turbo parts for them when you get board in a few months.

You should pick up a good one for just over 1k.

Make sure you measure how tall it is.

Beyond that, go for it, as I also think this is a good idea (and have also done so for some time).

Yeah, I was thinking it looked fairly tall in the pic, If all goes well I'll be starting this just after newyears :)

I've been thinking alot about this lately to. My only concern is the Dollar:Power ratio. As opposed to a SR20det, 1UZFE, etc.

I've been thinking alot about this lately to.

+1, Cept into a KP Starlet. E30 needs straight 6 goodness.

Would be all good in an E30 if you could do it for less than what an M50 conversion would cost.

A friend of mine has put one of these Gen4 (BEAMS) engines into a AE85 short hatch. Running a Link G4 and stock exhaust manifolds, he is putting 215 to the wheels. It's a drift spec car and does very well, had his first competition in the weekend at Driftsouth and came 7th or something ha. Awesome engine.

Would love to see a copy of the dyno sheet, as would most of the Altezza club. If you can and provide some more info that it would be much appreciated. Have been to Altezza dyno days and never seen results like that.

I think 3S-GE/GTE and

is what comes to mind.

Wouldn't be bad in an E30 Posted Image KPs are a hell of a lot lighter tho.

Would love to see a copy of the dyno sheet, as would most of the Altezza club. If you can and provide some more info that it would be much appreciated. Have been to Altezza dyno days and never seen results like that.

I'll see what I can do about a dyno sheet. It's quite an amazing wee set-up this car..

Thanks. I remember someone doing one in an AE85 a few years back.. well more than a few, only problem is they left it a five speed Auto with steering wheel shift.

Would be nice in a E30 but would have to be built light to work.

My flatmate had an altezza powered with this engine,

only thing I diddn't like about it is the fact you had to rev the tits out of it to get anywhere. and it was loud and obnoxious. (but that was just the fart cannon)

An E30 is lighter than an Altezza though, so probably would go real well.

Stock for stock it looks like a good idea.

However if your looking to make some power later down the track you'd be kicking yourself for not going SR (sorry euro crew!)

I picked my Blacktop S14 SR20DET + Box, loom, ECU up for $3000 nzd. Had 89'000kms on it and ran perfectly.

You can make 220rwkw (or near on 300hp atw in the old money) with supporting mods from the stock engine & turbo setup.

Its so easy, super reliable and there is so much aftermarket support for the SR its crazy..

IMO i'd see it as save a little longer, spend another $500 and have the ability to bust some simple upgrades and make some good power.

Hell you could even look at red top S13 SR20DETS's which are cheaper than the S14/5 variations. Add an EBC, FMIC, fuel pump, intake, exhaust and blah later down the track.

Similar power stock compaired to the 3SGE

S14 SR20DET - 162 kW (217 hp) @ 6000 rpm

Guess it depends if you want to stay NA too..

Oh I love the options!!

Do it! High revving N/A engines kick ass!

Only thing is your m20 will sound sooooooo much nicer than the toymota.

How light could you make a E30 Coupe?

Stage 1 lightening will see you at 1100. Stage 2 would be another 50-100kg. Stage 3 would be 950 final weight (lots of Fi-glass and perspex)

A stiff as f**k 1050kg E30 with 220BHP N/A would be awesome.

The 318's can run as light as 1075kg in the series, ours can go down to about 1040kg as it is, and wouldn't be hard to have it at 980kg or so. This is with gas and driver, not much gas tho.

Haha yeah, 950 would only be without a cage :D

I haven't got a dyno sheet yet, but I was wrong, only slightly though :D It's closer to 205 at the wheels (230~ flywheel). Stock exhaust manifold, but it has ITB's and a Link. Rest is stock. Rev's to 8.

Wrong, 980kg with glass, full cage and half fluids, no driver. E30 series car before ballast - coupla (legal) tricks involved.

We're 970kg with 20 lts fuel and no driver in the 318, fully legal, no tricks needed.

I haven't got a dyno sheet yet, but I was wrong, only slightly though :D It's closer to 205 at the wheels (230~ flywheel). Stock exhaust manifold, but it has ITB's and a Link. Rest is stock. Rev's to 8.

So that’s 152kw ATW, That is simply quite remarkable, over the last 7 years with the Altezza club the only 3S-GE Altezza that has come close to that on a dyno day was one that had a Turbo bolted on the side, im sure we would all chip in and buy your mate a box of beer, or five, if he could prove that or show us how it was done, even on the world’s most optimistic dyno that would be amazing for a relatively stock 3S-GE. Stock they put out 118-121kw ATW and with quite a few mods they might near 127KW so for him to have gained 32kw ATW is awesome stuff.

Actually, stuff the beer he should work for Yamaha or Cosworth helping them design engines.

This should be interesting :D

Jamez, do the conversion. It's something different! Too many people have done m50, including me.

I really want to do the conversion but I have doubts on how its going to affect the value of my car, Would you pay more for a M325i fake with a M20b25 or a 3SGE, I dunno, at the end of the day I dont want to spend money only to have somthing thats worth less compared to what I had to start with.

^ End of the day most modifications to any car are detrimental to their value/never get your total money back. A 3SGE E30 would be very cool though. If your in the mood, why not a Cosworth conversion :P

Edited by Forrest