Sign in to follow this  
simke

'Cruising' banned in boy-racer legislation

From NZ Herald

The Land Transport (Enforcement Powers) Amendment Act will allow local authorities to make anti-cruising orders, which prevent "circling designated streets within defined periods of time".

So now if I take my car out for a drive around the block, as I do when I have nothing else to do, does this mean I'm a boy racer? What a load of BS.

Just read through that...its meant to be to stop "boy racers" from driving in circles around particular streets at certain times i believe? although i dont know how you'd police if somebodies driving a loop

Does driving around the block to pick up some milk count??

Blackie there is a thread regarding these new laws, i've have written to the gov about them and my replies where posted in there...

I'll see if i can find it, or i'll repost in here

The definition of 'cruising' given in the Bill is:

"driving repeatedly over the same section of a road in a motor vehicle in a manner

that-

(a) draws attention to the power or sound of the engine of the motor

vehicle being driven; or

(B) creates a convoy that-

(i) is formed otherwise than in trade; and

(ii) impedes traffic flow."

The 'anti-cruising' bylaws are aimed at reducing the noise, intimidation and

disruption caused by illegal street racers who repeatedly use the same

streets. Often this happens late at night or in the early hours of the morning,

creating a disturbance for residents and businesses in the area.

Road controlling authorities will have the power to specify which streets will be

covered by a bylaw, as weil as the times of the day that the bylaw will apply.

These bylaws are not intended to penalise genuine car enthusiasts taking part

in legitimate activities. This matter will be scrutinised by Select Committee to

ensure that there are no unintended negative consequences for legitimate

motorists.

Office of Hon Steven Joyce

12 AUG 2009

Minister of Transport

Minister for Communications and Information Technology

Associate Minister of Finance

Associa te Minister for Infrastructure

There will no doubt be provision under the Act for Police to interpret the situation as they see fit.

If you are a 50 year old man in a respectable BMW, or a 30 year old woman in a Toyota Corolla, circling around the block to find an address, you wandering kids or similar, you probably aren't going to be busted for "cruising".

I think you guys know that this is to stop the hoedies doing the laps and Police will clearly be able to differentiate between the scummy boys, ratty girls, their shitty cars and the general public.

/i should be studying..

Guest FrantiC

It will probably be main streets at night time..

That is complete bull...

I'm lucky I got my sentencing before all this crap law passed through. Way too OTT imo..

I wonder what the penalties will be for cruising ?

Why are they even bothering with this boy-racer legislation, Look at the road toll for this year compared to the last

0-14 yrs......20........20

15-19 yrs....45........45

20-24 yrs....47........43

25-39 yrs....65........75

40-59 yrs....51........69

60 + yrs.....49........65

Older people are obviously doing more meth and have more menacing cars, those bastards

It's just appeasing people that don't know there are already laws that cover all of it...

My biggest concern is the fact things like Beach Hop, Club Cruises, Photoshoot sessions, etc... now fall under this.

There was always the unlawful gathering act that could be used on people gathering in an area like a carpark so it's no biggie for that but it's the drive days that had me concerned... As long as your not impeeding traffic flow you should be ok...

Why are they even bothering with this boy-racer legislation, Look at the road toll for this year compared to the last

0-14 yrs......20........20

15-19 yrs....45........45

20-24 yrs....47........43

25-39 yrs....65........75

40-59 yrs....51........69

60 + yrs.....49........65

Older people are obviously doing more meth and have more menacing cars, those bastards

boy racer and road toll = very different topics

Well i personally agree and back this new by-law. For those that have seen and heard my car know that it could be classed as a "boy racer" car, but i never have a prob' with cops and it gets a WOF from VTNZ no worries, in fact the last WOF which was last month didn't even have any comments written on the sheet.

My point is that if your car is up to scratch and you behave in a respectable civilized manner then all these new by-laws shouldn't bother you, they were created to stop d*ck heads, so act like a d*ck head and you get what you deserve.

My biggest concern is the fact things like Beach Hop, Club Cruises, Photoshoot sessions, etc... now fall under this.

These things will stil be sweet i'm pretty sure, bit of a difference between a photoshoot on a sunny Sunday arvo at the beach and a bunch of f**kwits at 3am screaming up and down the same street for 2 hours.

Bah.

I don't give a sh*t about this anymore. I'm fast becoming a grumpy old hag.

I have better things to do than to get tied up in this hoo haa.

Tell the bloody government to make more useful laws that will serve a purpose that is more valuable to a wide range of people.

Tell the bloody government to make more useful laws that will serve a purpose that is more valuable to a wide range of people.

I'm sure if you had boy-racers driving past your house all night, every night you would find value in this new bylaw.

Bah.

I don't give a sh*t about this anymore. I'm fast becoming a grumpy old hag.

I have better things to do than to get tied up in this hoo haa.

And yet you still posted in this thread :rolleyes:

Edited by bellicose

I'm sure if you had boy-racers driving past your house all night, every night you would find value in this new bylaw.

I did. Both previous houses I have lived at have been on the main straight for boy racers, kaning up and down the street in the early hours of the morning. My parents and I dealt with it.

The government should go hard with this. It doesn't affect me.

They should also make licence loss for more serious things a bit more perminent.

Guest FrantiC

They should also make licence loss for more serious things a bit more perminent.

Nooooo

Nooooo

skids aren't that serious, I ment like killing people/driving drunk more than 3 times ect.

skids aren't that serious, I ment like killing people/driving drunk more than 3 times ect.

Only prob' there is most drink drivers are recidivist offenders and couldn't give a flying f**k if they have i license or not.

Get done more than once for drink driving then off to prison you go.

Yes i would happily pay more taxes to build more prisons.

sh*t i wish i was a judge.

Agree with bellicose in the above comment. Offen twice (but within a set time) and off to Jail. If offences are 2yrs apart, then no Jail as thats a bit rediculous.

As for the cruising law, I can bet my left leg that the cops will overuse their even "more" powers and pick on ANY young driver / flash car. Day or Night. Thats why they done this law, so they have another excuse to hand out fines & impound cars. Fines ARE revenue gathering...if you have proof they are not, please show proof as to how the $ is spent.

The Govt has FAR better things to worry about (likes gangs, drugs & jail sentencing revising), and yet, they worry about one of the smallest problems our Country has...WTF! This law, now effects any young person who enjoys driving their cars. Come to Terapa one Friday night, you will find only say 10cars out of the whole 100 that go, are idiots. So they are judging us all, all thanks to the mofos who think they are cool in their Evo or Sack of poos.

I dont go often any more, but I would still like to be able to freely drive around Hamilton (and possibly NZ!) without a damn cop pulling me up giving me a warning for cruising at night (3 warnings I believe before impound?)

E: edit your first post rather then posting twice.

Edited by westy

Agree with bellicose in the above comment. Offen twice (but within a set time) and off to Jail. If offences are 2yrs apart, then no Jail as thats a bit rediculous.

As for the cruising law, I can bet my left leg that the cops will overuse their even "more" powers and pick on ANY young driver / flash car. Day or Night. Thats why they done this law, so they have another excuse to hand out fines & impound cars. Fines ARE revenue gathering...if you have proof they are not, please show proof as to how the $ is spent.

The Govt has FAR better things to worry about (likes gangs, drugs & jail sentencing revising), and yet, they worry about one of the smallest problems our Country has...WTF! This law, now effects any young person who enjoys driving their cars. Come to Terapa one Friday night, you will find only say 10cars out of the whole 100 that go, are idiots. So they are judging us all, all thanks to the mofos who think they are cool in their Evo or Sack of poos.

I dont go often any more, but I would still like to be able to freely drive around Hamilton (and possibly NZ!) without a damn cop pulling me up giving me a warning for cruising at night (3 warnings I believe before impound?)

E: edit your first post rather then posting twice.

I can put money on the fact that if your car had a wof and reg, didnt have bald tyres, and you were just driving around no causing any trouble or being a wanker, a cop would gladly let you go.

It's when you are in a drag train with 10 other cars with stupid blow up valves and big boy exhausts ( and shiny fuel flaps :lol: ) you are going to get into trouble.

Cruising through town is rather boring anyway isn't it? If for example you drive back and forth up the main street in Hamilton and you aren't trying to find a carpark, it seems obvious that you are trying to get undue attention. "Get your tits out!!" etc.

To be honest, I dont really care if this law comes in. I'd rather it didn't, but I dont think I'm going to get into any more trouble because of it.

When I'm sitting outside a bar having a beer and some muppet drives past 20 times going brap brap brap and the three pimple faced morons in the back are all staring at ya it is rather annoying. I'm just trying to enjoy my Lion Brown ok? I think they are the only ones going to get owned by this law. Most police are reasonably fair people.

Edited by Mark247