Sign in to follow this  
curryinahurry

E46 Harman Kardon Speaker Retrofit

Hi all,

I've recently acquired the full 10 Harman Kardon Speaker system for my E46 coupe which is currently using the business cassette with no amplifier.

I'm in the process of installing the speakers, but found that wiring for the tweeters at the front is different from my current set up. For my existing tweeters, the signal is tapped directly off the mid bass and soldered onto the tweeter, whereas for the HK system, its got a separate 4 Pin plug (which of I don't have).

So my question is whether I should just wire the HK system the same? Or is the HK tweeters suppose to be driven separately through a filtered signal from the amp?

I currently don't have an amp, but I intend to put in an after market one in the future.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

Edited by curryinahurry

Call me if you need the Harman Kardon Amp or any missing items for your install.

Regards Ray

Call me if you need the Harman Kardon Amp or any missing items for your install.

Regards Ray

Thanks Ray, I've also got the 16:9 TV monitor which I'm planning to install eventually but at this stage I'm still trying to figure out which bits and pieces I need. As of now, I *think* I still need the following:

Amp (Haven't decided whether I want the HK amp or aftermarket)

Tv Tuner Module

Radio Receiver Module

Sat nav (Optional)

Looms

Let me know which bits you've got!

Cheers

I think the HK amp is set up for the HK speakers so not much point in buying an aftermarket amp if you're going to put in the HK fronts.

Either put in HK speakers and HK amp, or aftermarket speakers and aftermarket amp.

I think the HK amp is set up for the HK speakers so not much point in buying an aftermarket amp if you're going to put in the HK fronts.

Either put in HK speakers and HK amp, or aftermarket speakers and aftermarket amp.

Oh ok, I just heard people on the net saying that the amp is a bit under powered to drive the HK subs - guess I'll get the HK amp and just have a separate amp to drive the sub instead of the mini-amp it comes with.

Would anyone know how the HU connects to the amp? I've also had a look at some of the diagrams on RealOEM, it seems like the loom is suppose to have some connection to the amplifier but mine doesn't seem to have it. Or is it tucked away somewhere? (I've taken off the left rear quarter panel cover off, but nothing there apart from the stacker).

Edited by curryinahurry

Hi all,

I've recently acquired the full 10 Harman Kardon Speaker system for my E46 coupe which is currently using the business cassette with no amplifier.

I'm in the process of installing the speakers, but found that wiring for the tweeters at the front is different from my current set up. For my existing tweeters, the signal is tapped directly off the mid bass and soldered onto the tweeter, whereas for the HK system, its got a separate 4 Pin plug (which of I don't have).

So my question is whether I should just wire the HK system the same? Or is the HK tweeters suppose to be driven separately through a filtered signal from the amp?

I currently don't have an amp, but I intend to put in an after market one in the future.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I,ve recently upgraded my system, the wiring loom is different, and wont work correctly with the standard head unit - different ohm ratings,

be careful with HI-Fi amps are wired different to HK amps as well - a bit of checking is required if you go down the retrofit way..

any other questions just ask

Dean