Sign in to follow this  
mark247

Am I going to freeze my tits off?

Im due into Dnepropetrovsk ( city in the Ukraine ) on the 21st of this month, after I spend a week in Vienna.. Im heading off tomorrow. Im there for 3 and a half months teaching english and cultural stuff to kids in schools over there. Has anyone been there before? Or even the Ukraine?

What's it like? Anyone been to the Ukraine before?

I've read as much as possible about it but I still only know the usual stuff... Dont speak english too loud at night... dont wear fancy clothes or youll get ya head smacked in etc etc..

I'm pretty good at looking after myself so the main thing I'm worried about is the weather.. I'm going to there in the coldest months of the year... I have sorted warm clothes but I still have no idea what it's actually going to be like.

It averages -5 and gets down to -20 sometimes..

Anyone experienced a Eastern Europe winter before? Any good ( or bad ) stories?

Edited by Mark247

I would love to go to there, being part Ukrainian myself.

Going off girls I have met from Ukrainian they are quite attractive and have loose morels so im sure you’ll keep warm easy enough.. maybe take a sh*t load of French letters to keep warm.

-5 - -20 sounds cold to me, maybe buy some Merino and a Fleace lined Puffer Jacket.

I havent experienced an eastern european winter, but Ive done plenty of western european winters in the north of England and Holland and I can tell you -5 is cold, but bearable, but -20 is going to freeze your nuts solid.

I personally wouldnt bother taking too many outer garments/clothes, especially coats. Take plenty of thermals sure, but buy coats, hats and gloves locally knowing they can handle the conditions and get used to it quickly :D

Edited by Penry

If they look like this, he will just give them free English lessons.

Posted Image

I havent experienced an eastern european winter, but Ive done plenty of western european winters in the north of England and Holland and I can tell you -5 is cold, but bearable, but -20 is going to freeze your nuts solid.

I personally wouldnt bother taking too many outer garments/clothes, especially coats. Take plenty of thermals sure, but buy coats, hats and gloves locally knowing they can handle the conditions and get used to it quickly :D

NZ gear is expensive relative to the stuff you can get over there for much cheaper... 

I grew up in New Hamphsire in the states we would regularly see negitive numbers on the thermometer and those numbers where in F not C... The thing you need to really look out for is the wind chill factor. Make sure anything you buy will protect you from the wind. A -5 degree F day is ok, it's the -20 degree F wind chill that kills you...

Invest in a really good Jacket, spend the money on something like a North Face modular jacket. (http://www.thenorthface.com.au/secureshop/...p?ProductID=528) It will allow you to buy 1 jacket that will let you get by on the warmer days where only a vest/light jacket is needed and snap in the other parts to make it a full winter jacket.

I've been in -20 in Canada and F**K me thats cold. But after a while it just becomes the norm, you get used to it.

So cold that where we stayed the Generator stopped working, Fuel Filter was frozen!Solution, Remove Fuel Filter all togethe r:D

Driving on Ice/Snow all day every day is a real experience.

If you get the opportunity go on a snowmobile, They are awesome fun

I've been in -20 in Canada and F**K me thats cold. But after a while it just becomes the norm, you get used to it.

The really fun days are when it's -20F and it's got a -25F wind chill.. effectively -45F at that time... 

The bedroom in my old flat use to go down to -10 some nights in winter.

Dunedin FTW!

If they look like this, he will just give them free English lessons.

If they look like that I want to go to Ukraine. She be wank. Edited by westy

Thanks for your guys opinions. It seems like I've done the right thing with the clothing I've organized. I've borrowed a heap of my dads gears and picked up a fair few morino things. I plan to get hats and gloves and things in Vienna ( might be expensive ) or whenever I get to the Ukraine. Everyone has told me layering is the key and from the sh*t I've got i think I'm going to end up looking like the michelin man!

New and improved update of your pic Apex..

Posted Image

Edited by Mark247

Guest Simon*

Is Troy, sorry I mean Allah your wingman for the fat chix?

Or do you want to resume this on msn? :D

Is Troy, sorry I mean Allah your wingman for the fat chix?

Or do you want to resume this on msn? :D

Matt and Troy have a thing for my old flatmate, I've moved out and Troy still goes around?!?

Buy her a ticket, you'll thank me, i no you like them large and incharge

I'll buy her a bus ticket to your place, actually nah dont worry, Troy will just bring her around

Edited by Mark247

You didnt look impressed when I took her around to your place for you.

f**k you haha i was not impressed

Matt and Troy have a thing for my old flatmate, I've moved out and Troy still goes around?!?

Went around yesterday actually. Made some SWEET as f**k rockets.

Posted Image

Edited by Allah

Never done an eastern european winter - but have some time in central (Czech Rep) and northern (Finland) europe during winter (oh and one weekend we got to -15C when I lived in Paris).

Yes, layering is the key as the buildings are normally kept at around 20 - 25 C in winter. I would suggest that Vienna will be one of the most expensive places to buy a jacket... You might pick something up cheaper locally as we are moving into summer.

Anywhere around freezing can be quite pleasant if it is snowing (and no wind), but watch the temperature drop once blue sky breaks. I went from wearing jeans and a business shirt walking around town in light snow quite happily, to freezing my balls off under 4 layers (incl. ski jacket) within 8 hours when the clouds pissed off and we hit -16C. Cold that intense is remarkable as you get weird sh*t like ice on the inside of the windscreen. In Finland they actually plugged their cars into the mains to stop them freezing solid... So yes, you could potentially freeze your balls off!

Got your geiger counter packed??

Thanks for the heads up!

Got your geiger counter packed??

Haha, no, but I think the tour company who I'm planning to go to Chernobyl and Pripyat with will supply me with one =D

Abandoned city ftw!

Posted Image

Edited by Mark247

I'm so jealous of you! How did you get into that?