Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

NZ New Sony XR-7300

On the front it has an aux/cd button. On the web I can find the pin diagram showing that its basically just a cd and not an aux in the modern day 'ipod' sense.

Ive seen a write up on the web where a guy soldered in an ipod connection and I wondered if I could do the same. I know I could always just get a new BT/ipod headunit but to be honest I dont like the way the new headunits look in the older cars so want to see if I can get this going first.

So my thoughts are....

If I take the cage out from the dash (this unit removes from the dash entirely for the ultimate in stereo security !) I should be able to get the loom this unit attaches to.

I should then be able to see if a cd changer is actually wired into it. If it is I should be able to find out where that goes and would I then to be able to wire in an ipod instead ? If its not can I still wire something in anyway ?

I know sod all about electrics, so any help is appreciated. Ill try and get a photo of the stereo up shortly, but I doubt it will help.

Your headunit has rca input on the rear but I can't figure out if you can use them as an aux in or whether you need the xA-C30 as well. If you can just use the rca inputs then all you'll need is a 3.5mm jack to male rcas,say about 1 metre long and feed that through to your glove box or wherever you want to put the ipod.

These take a while to load up:

install manual

owners manual

Thanks Rogan,

I pulled out the cage last night very quickly to have a look and it looks like its all wired up for a cd changer with a plug Ive not seen before. I took a photo so Ill post it up. Its round the size of a finger and Im sure Ive seen the other end go into a cd changer in an old e30 I once had.

Maybe thats something I can tap into.

Hey Rogan, you dont have access to the XR-7300 manuals do you? The one youve posted above is the XR-C7300 instead.

Ive found it on the web but the places want money for it !

Photos.....

Headunit

post-116-1257878755.jpg

Poor photo of plug

post-116-1257878776.jpg

Im sure this plug went to a cd changer in my previous e30 so this is what I need to find a out diagram for isnt it ? It had a nice little plastic cap on the end of it which leads me to believe its not already wired to the boot.

post-116-1257878791.jpg

see that grey cable with rca sockets taped to the loom thats the aux rca input .

just had a look at one i have here and noticed its labeled as aux input

the round one is for the cd changer , i have some of those too if needed

You mean the grey cable taped to the two black ones Brent ?

If its an aux input whats it likely to be connected to ? When I press Aux/CD nothing happens which lead me to believe I would need the cd changer to make it work.

If it is an aux input, any idea what I need to plug into it to connect an ipod ?

You mean the grey cable taped to the two black ones Brent ?

If its an aux input whats it likely to be connected to ? When I press Aux/CD nothing happens which lead me to believe I would need the cd changer to make it work.

If it is an aux input, any idea what I need to plug into it to connect an ipod ?

a rca to headphone plug cable

thats 2 rca plugs to a 3.5mm stereo plug

not sure about the non response when you use the cd aux button .

maybe push twice or maybe there is a switch somewhere underneth or on the circuits boards to switch between cd satcker or aux input , will have a play with my one later on .

and let you know if i find anything

When I set mine up for MP3 via Aux the Aux needed turning on, It had an on/off option in a settings menu. Did you try pushing and holding the Aux button at all?

Could be completly irrelevant as mines a totally different headunit but worth a crack anyway.

Would you Adam and Eve it !!

I dig out an old RCA to 3.5mm cable from my box of computer stuff, open up the dash again, pull back the tape around the RCA cable find it not plugged into anything. So I plug my cable in, attach the ipod, press the AUX button and there we have it !

Who wouldve thought a 1990 NZ new stereo would be ipod compatible with a simple RCA cable :)

But man I need some better speakers !

Would you Adam and Eve it !!

I dig out an old RCA to 3.5mm cable from my box of computer stuff, open up the dash again, pull back the tape around the RCA cable find it not plugged into anything. So I plug my cable in, attach the ipod, press the AUX button and there we have it !

Who wouldve thought a 1990 NZ new stereo would be ipod compatible with a simple RCA cable :)

But man I need some better speakers !

thats exactly the same stereo im my car.I have the stackertoo.SO i guess you just see AUX on the display?

I have a manual for teh stereo but it doesnt have much info...

Edited by kiwi535

good work .

anyone want one of these cool retro stereo's

Yes Paul, you just see AUX on the display. I dont mind that at all with having the ipod in the car to do the rest.

I just need to work out the best way to power it only when the ignition is on and work out some sort of stealth install which means its still easily available to control.

Yes Paul, you just see AUX on the display. I dont mind that at all with having the ipod in the car to do the rest.

I just need to work out the best way to power it only when the ignition is on and work out some sort of stealth install which means its still easily available to control.

Take a power feed from the cigarette lighter plug under the centre console. Should work on accessory and ignition only

Take a power feed from the cigarette lighter plug under the centre console. Should work on accessory and ignition only

i think the older bmw's have power at all times to the cig socket from memory

i think the older bmw's have power at all times to the cig socket from memory

Your right..I just checked a E30 F/L in the workshop. Take a power feed from the sterio ignition feed wire then, not the permanent memory power wire and find a suitable earth.

Guest Simon*

So there was an aux RCA out on the back in addition to the stacker cable?

Might have to look at mine

So there was an aux RCA out on the back in addition to the stacker cable?

You got it. In the middle photo above, Im holding the cd stacker cable on the left, but in the middle of the picture there is a grey cable taped to two black ones. At the end I saw it was taped over and assumed it was for something else (there were cables coming out the other side). But pulling the tape back showed it had just been taped over.

Im wondering if all NZ new cars of that age had the Aux input aswell.

Guest Simon*

I have a different headunit but haven't been round the back of it yet. Mind you, there's not AUX mode, just radio, tape, CD

This thread made my day, i bet alot of people dont know this. I am in the middle of setting up my e30 for ipod connectivity.

The only annoying thing i find with this is when i turn on the stereo the antenna goes up when its not on radio. So if you just have it on aux you have to have your enourmously long 1 metre ariel sticking up for no reason <_< . I also frequently listen to my ipod so it would be giving the ariel motor alot of unneeded work.

How do i make it so the ariel only goes up when its set to radio?

Edited by mastermike