Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

NZ New Sony XR-7300

The head unit probably can't do this.

some aftermarket headunits will, but others don't.

you could always put in a switch for the remote trigger, so you can manually choose when to put the ariel up and down.

That's what I'm thinking

I have this one ...

Posted Image

You have to sacrifice the CD changer and fit an iPod interface in its place.

Readily available. Google is your friend

bummer, i wish there was a way to make it only go up when it unit is set to radio automatically without needing a switch...

I have looked at the pinout, but what wire in the bundle of cables is the antenna power wire?

Check whether you've got a blue wire, and a blue with white stripe wire coming out the back of the headunit.

As a general rule, the blue with white stripe is the remote on wire which is 12v+ whenever your stereo is on. This is the one that will be connected to your aerial at the moment. The solid blue wire should be your electric aerial which is 12v+ only when you're listening to the radio. If you find the solid blue wire on the back of your headunit then don't just assume it's an electric aerial, get a multimeter and test it for certainty.

note, if you have an amp then make sure the amp is still connected to the blue with white stripe.

Check whether you've got a blue wire, and a blue with white stripe wire coming out the back of the headunit.

As a general rule, the blue with white stripe is the remote on wire which is 12v+ whenever your stereo is on. This is the one that will be connected to your aerial at the moment. The solid blue wire should be your electric aerial which is 12v+ only when you're listening to the radio. If you find the solid blue wire on the back of your headunit then don't just assume it's an electric aerial, get a multimeter and test it for certainty.

note, if you have an amp then make sure the amp is still connected to the blue with white stripe.

i dont seem to have the blue and white stripe wire, just the solid blue wire

john s, if your around, did your ariel go up even when the stereo was not set to radio?

Edited by mastermike

i dont seem to have the blue and white stripe wire, just the solid blue wire

john s, if your around, did your ariel go up even when the stereo was not set to radio?

In European cars, the radio is always active, so that it can receive Traffic Reports via the RDS-TP service

Also, for the nav systems, the radio continuously receives the TMC data so has to stay running

This is why every modern day radio with RDS keeps the radio part running (and the antenna up) even when you are listening to Tape, CD, Minidisc or iPod.

this is what i use to put the aerial up and down, its hooked up to the aerial output power wire but it just turns it off if I dont want the aerial up .

used a fog light switch from a early e28 , switch will also fit in e30 dash

post-279-1280732524.jpg

post-279-1280732652.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

ok thanks looks like i will have to hook the blue wire up to the switch then . unless i can think of some smart way to wire the stereo so that when a current goes through the radio part of the circuit it activates and electronic switch which is wire up to the ariel wire.. but it might just be easier to put a switch in i will see might open the radio and have a look

hmm i believe it is possible to rewire the stereo so the arial only goes up when its set to radio, but i would need the sony xr-7300 service repair manual which i have searched the internet far and wide for with no luck. Except for paying for it ofcourse, if those sites are even legit

Edited by mastermike

well i bought a cable from trademe which was faulty sent me another one which arived todays and is also faulty :mellow: (soemtimes trademe is not worth the hassle) so progress has been slow. I am now going to buy one from dicksmith.

I have already cut my blue ariel wire. Almost about to give in to the ariel switch idea when i notice a wire tapped up in the bundle with the ariel wire which is labeled "REM OUT" , there is also a rem in wire. They are not connected. What is this 'REM OUT' wire for?

The reason i ask is because i noticed that the 'rem out' wire had 7/8 volts when the unit was set to radio and zero volts when the unit was set to aux. I connected this 'rem out' wire to the blue power antenna wire but it is not enough to power the antenna. I am aiming for some kind of electronic switch so that by using the 7 volts from this 'rem out' wire i can activiate the connection in the blue ariel wire

well i bought a cable from trademe which was faulty sent me another one which arived todays and is also faulty :mellow: (soemtimes trademe is not worth the hassle) so progress has been slow. I am now going to buy one from dicksmith.

I have already cut my blue ariel wire. Almost about to give in to the ariel switch idea when i notice a wire tapped up in the bundle with the ariel wire which is labeled "REM OUT" , there is also a rem in wire. They are not connected. What is this 'REM OUT' wire for?

The reason i ask is because i noticed that the 'rem out' wire had 7/8 volts when the unit was set to radio and zero volts when the unit was set to aux. I connected this 'rem out' wire to the blue power antenna wire but it is not enough to power the antenna. I am aiming for some kind of electronic switch so that by using the 7 volts from this 'rem out' wire i can activiate the connection in the blue ariel wire

7/8 volts should be enough to trigger a standard relay - just wire the aerial through a relay, with the REM wire to the relay coils .

7/8 volts should be enough to trigger a standard relay - just wire the aerial through a relay, with the REM wire to the relay coils .

yea thats the plan , would be awesome if it works. as long as there are sufficient amps in the wires.. do you know what the rem out is for?

it looks as though you cannot use the aux input of the factory radio without the ariel going up.

There is no sound output through the speakers on aux unless the blue antenna wire is connected.

I guess because the blue antenna wire also turns on the factory amplifier?