Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Ferrari 400i

Hey guys, anyone on here had any experiance with Ferrari 400i's? Just after a bit of infomation on reliability etc, no mechanical insurers will touch them so don't won't to be stuck with a big bill come time to fixing if the puchase goes through.

Cheers.

Guest Simon*

Gonna have to google that now to see what one is Greg

Seriously? You guys are looking at Ferraris? Cool :)

Ferrari 400i

Developed as a true grand tourer over 17 years with all-round independent suspension by double wishbones, concentric coil springs and dampers, the ride was firm but still luxurious, with just on 150mph available. The original Daytona 4.4 litre V-12 engine was enlarged for the 400 model to 4.8 litres when automatic transmission was newly offered as an option to five speeds. Using a three speed GM automatic similar to that used by Rolls-Royce, the car was transformed from the usual heavy manual clutch operation. Beautifully trimmed, refined, and high geared, this GT with newly introduced fuel injection became the 400i in 1979. The first fuel-injected Ferrari, emissions, fuel consumption and power all improved.

Ferrari 400i Reviews

joeyd - Driver Tuesday 10 February 2009 19:56

Expensive and a real nightmare to perform repairs on, parts ungodly expensive. Anyone who owns one,deserves it! Want thrills, get a Corvette!!!! Performance and Handling

Maintenance and Getting Parts

Reliability

Overall Rating

Buzz - Driver Tuesday 5 August 2008 12:37

A very underrated car in my view. Acceleration isn't blistering by modern standards but it's still a fast, effortless freeway car with good handling for its size. Ride is perhaps a little harsh for a touring car. Contrary to many popular views about old Ferraris, the 400 is beautifully made. Regular maintenance is essential however, parts are expensive and fuel consumption very heavy! Performance and Handling

Reliability

Overall Rating

xmas - Driver Tuesday 12 May 2009 19:27

Its a fantastic old car I have one and I love it. It very underrated and should be worth more. Performance and Handling

Reliability

Overall Rating

This may help a little. Found it on the web.

Cheers Brian, that helps.

Didn't even think of googling ha.

Well, I used to work in the Axis Building in Parnell and one of the guys who lived or worked there had one.

It seemed to need the tow truck to come and take it away to be fixed less than the Jensen Interceptor he had before that.

Edited by CamB

The father of one of my mates from Uni had one in the UK, it was one of the first injected models, and was used as a press car when first imported into the country. He owned the car for a long time and looked after it very well, it was not driven much and had a very low mileage, a real sunny Sunday afternoons only car. Plus it was serviced very regularly at an authorised Ferrari garage, with genuine parts.

As such there were few issues with the car, the usual wear and tear, plus the usual italian electric gremlins. However, it did get to the point where even he felt it was getting too expensive to maintain (servicing costs really) and he part exchanged it against a new 348 in the late 80s.

Was a great Grand Tourer type car, wafting along quite serenly when going 100+ mph on country roads, not a real performance type car, more a luxury cruiser with a bit of get up and go.

I remember my mate taking one corner rather too fast, and us just getting round it, with much tyre squeal, and using a bit of the grass, which was due to the floor mat getting stuck up behind the brake pedal stopping it from being pushed down!!

A nice car and are very good buying at the moment. However, you will need a lot of disposable income to keep for repairs and maintenance!

Gonna have to google that now to see what one is Greg

Seriously? You guys are looking at Ferraris? Cool :)

Yeah bit of a change aye, not looking too promising now i see what people have to say about them though.

oooooh I've always dreamed of owning one of those ever since I was a youngster in the 70's. The 400i and the original 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer (later the 512BB) with the big V12's were the big Ferrari supercars of my day.

Have you seen the one in Fazzazz here in Chch? $55k I think. There's also a 512BB as well for $125k ...

A friend of mine had one for several years without any major dramas.

Very cool car to drive but hey it is a ferrari & its going to cost at some point.

E-mail the Ferrari Club of NZ president, he is real easy to talk and will fill you on parts and expertise in NZ.

bb cars were a flat 12...

400i is a good buy at the prices they go for, remember that at certain km they NEED a full engine rebuild and apparently that is in the region of $30k. Almost all were auto also

oooooh I've always dreamed of owning one of those ever since I was a youngster in the 70's. The 400i and the original 365 GT4 Berlinetta Boxer (later the 512BB) with the big V12's were the big Ferrari supercars of my day.

Have you seen the one in Fazzazz here in Chch? $55k I think. There's also a 512BB as well for $125k ...

I assume that's the same one that was for sale back in Feb. The paint looked rubbish to me.

Hey buddy,

A friend of mine's father had arguably the best Ferrari 412 in NZ - a blue example that is now up for sale again on trademe for $95k in the capital.

His is one of the later ones - I think they made them till around 89. His was a 87' and was picked up at the factory in Italy.

His car was driven regularly but was still looked after immaculately over a number of years. Unlike Bimmers, Ferraris are relatively hefty when it comes to servicing. However, at around 50,000 kms , there was a major mechanical failure - this required a re-build to the value of $40k at Conti's in Auckland (unsure of the finer details).

For along while I aspired to buy this car, but I have to say this re-build dampened my enthusiasm somewhat. His is a manual, and I remember reading that auto's can get notchy as the mileage clocks up.

I personally have a soft spot for large 2+2 coupe's. I love the 400i / 412. Though it will never be perceived to be a classic Ferrari, it does (in my world (but I do drive a E31)) have nice lines. Even though it would be a garage queen if I owned one, I think the potential of having big bills would steer me away from purhasing one.

I also have a soft spot for its descendant, the 456. Very nice.

If you are interested to know more about owning one of these, I can contact my friends dad to get a complete low down (he did own it from new for 22 years).

SS

So very very bad don't do it. Pretty sure an M3 would be cheaper to fix

You know me better than that Doug, the M3 will never leave.

Thanks for all the info guys.

There is a blue one with euro plates I used to see a fair bit around Auckland. And then that red convertible on trademe a few years back with a big (and ugly) audio install.

They are cool but I think id pass on one. Rather a tidy 911 for similar money

There is a blue one with euro plates I used to see a fair bit around Auckland. And then that red convertible on trademe a few years back with a big (and ugly) audio install.

They are cool but I think id pass on one. Rather a tidy 911 for similar money

The convertible was a mondial wasn't it? Had chrome wheels?

I would steer away from the 400i, get a massive loan against a house and get a 456 :rolleyes:

bb cars were a flat 12...

ooops, sorry Nathan.... got caught up in the memories of 30 years ago

The convertible was a mondial wasn't it? Had chrome wheels?

I would steer away from the 400i, get a massive loan against a house and get a 456 :rolleyes:

Ahh sorry yes you are probably right!

Yeah bit of a change aye, not looking too promising now i see what people have to say about them though.

I have a friend with a mint Ferrari 1983 308 GTSi QV for sale.

has had the following done to it

Bare metal restoration,

interior restoration,

rebuilt engine,

stainless exhaust etc. etc. etc.

Hey by the way, funnily enough, check out the latest Classic and Sports car UK- there is a buying guide on the 400i/412.

Regards,

SS

Bare metal restoration,

interior restoration,

rebuilt engine,

Now that's more like it! You could even break out the Magnum tache and hawaiian shirt without feeling like less of a man...

Bare metal restoration,

interior restoration,

rebuilt engine,

You know how much he's after Josh?