Sign in to follow this  
BrianE39

Muffler delete (straight pipe)

hey everyone im a newbie lol just got my brother's E39 1999 528i Blue and wodering if i can cut off my rear muffler (still have resonator) n get a straight pipe :D is this legal in NZ or do i hav to get like fake BIG Bore n make it looks like it has a muffler in the back LOL??? any ideas guyz???

got some chip on youtube:

n found some of other bmw forum talkin about this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1066928

Gotta luv the BMW straight 6 engine sound with straight pipe xD

No way, It will be way to loud..

If you want $50 'loud exhaust' fines accompanied by 25 demerit points, Go ahead lol.

Also keen on a straight pipe, would imagine it is legal aslong as it is under the legal limit.

Edit: Which as John said could be difficult.. lol.

Edited by E30ONP

Exactly, It's all about the noise restriction. They couldn't really care less what your exhaust is so long as it's sticking out the rear doing it's job. IMO it will be way to loud.

Need a massive oil cooler with huge braided lines to go with those!

dam...i thought it would work lol

whts legal limite ae?? like 90 db or something ??

but i heard about this on other bimmer forum that someone said it not gona be too load as it still has resonator in the back??

btw how about i change to the one on trademe 3" or 2" european style muffler?? will it be too load aswell??

Edited by BrianE39

dam...i thought it would work lol

whts legal limite ae?? like 90 db or something ??

btw how about i change to the one on trademe 3" or 2" european style muffler?? will it be too load aswell??

Nah they aren't too loud, I have a trademe muffler it was quite abit louder than standard (Had to change mid section muffler to a bigger COBY), but it was probably just within the limits as VTNZ never hit me up about it at WOF's.

Just whatever you do, don't get a fart cannon..

get something like this and mount it so you can have the appearance of a straight pipe, but not the illegal loudness. very cheap, i think if you call around some exhaust shops u'd find they're 80 or so dollars.

Posted Image

Edited by André3000

i am going to say the complete opposite here. I cut off just the rear mufflers on my E38 735i and now it has a nice V8 burble. It is not too loud at all and everyone comments on how nice it sounds. I didn't want any performance gains just a nicer sound. I will try and get a pic of it up soon

Would sound so cool..Automatic’s sound the best with big bores, so sporty.

Drone-rrrah-drooone-rahhhh-droone..

Don’t do it. They are a nice quite car for a reason, leave the noise for the Japanese crowd.

V8's are ok to be loud because they sound good.

Would sound so cool..Automatic’s sound the best with big bores, so sporty.

Drone-rrrah-drooone-rahhhh-droone..

Don’t do it. They are a nice quite car for a reason, leave the noise for the Japanese crowd.

V8's are ok to be loud because they sound good.

This.

i might give a shot 4 straight pipe or the one Andrew said xD anyone know wht the legal limite noise db is??

btw does anyone know where to get this APLINA rear end cap with exhaust pipe out??(standard E39 is covered like E38 7 series)

Posted Image

ALPINA rear bumper

Posted Image

Standard E30 rear bumper

I might be wrong but i thought that engines need a certain amount of backpressure in the exhaust system so the engine functions at 100%

Research back pressure on google to find out about all the myths.

I might be wrong but i thought that engines need a certain amount of backpressure in the exhaust system so the engine functions at 100%

Trying to remember but from what I can my 528i had an inlet into one muffler that had a u turn in it that went back out and around into the second outlet muffler, this was designed to keep noise at a minimum and create a larger travelling distance before exiting the system so yea, the car will run better with the stock rare mufflers.. either that or BMW are muppets and know nothing.

A genuine Alpina kit is worth more than a 528i :o

Maybe search E-Bay UK.

wouldn't the DME just alter the fuel ratio accordingly?

Trying to remember but from what I can my 528i had an inlet into one muffler that had a u turn in it that went back out and around into the second outlet muffler, this was designed to keep noise at a minimum and create a larger travelling distance before exiting the system so yea, the car will run better with the stock rare mufflers.. either that or BMW are muppets and know nothing.

A genuine Alpina kit is worth more than a 528i :o

Maybe search E-Bay UK.

i found alpina front lip for like 150 NZD (of course is copy one LOL)

nw im tryin to get Alpina rear end cap (the copy one aswell) just the end of bit on the bumper xD otherwise i will cut it my self to get my exhaust pipe out ^^

anyone know wht colour code or the name is this car cos my car is exactly same colour n everything like this car except i got the FAKE alpina spolier in da bk xD

on trademe :

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-243774089.htm

i guess it kinda like Alpina Blue but dark a bit .....

This Colour??

Posted Image

likely bt not really?? lol slightly Darker??

do yu have more photo wiv this car??

Posted Image

Posted Image

100% sure is exactly like this one

any one know the Name or Code of Colour??

will update my car photo ASAP

Found another one on trademe:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-252669894.htm

Edited by BrianE39

Should be on the strut tower in the Engin bay.