Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

New 5 Series

I like it.

The new BMW 5-Series is here! The official unveiling of the new executive express is imminent, but Auto Express is one step ahead of the competition.

Our exclusive images show exactly how the model will shape up. And our German sources have revealed all the details on the car, which is set to be better to drive than ever, yet cheaper to run.

It will look smoother, too, with former design chief Chris Bangle’s controversial styling dropped in favour of a much more conservative shape.

Gone is the awkward boot lip, replaced by a tail inspired by the 7-Series, while a bold crease runs from the front wheelarch to the rear lights. This emphasises the extra 20mm of length the new model has over the outgoing car. Inside, the 5-Series will share its cabin layout with the recently launched 5-Series GT.

As with its Mercedes E-Class arch rival, a barrage of cutting-edge technology will appear – and a healthy proportion of it will be devoted to driving enjoyment. Four-wheel steering is to be carried over from the 5-Series GT, while an active rear differential will provide maximum traction.

Efficiency is high on the agenda, with stop-start ensuring that CO2 emissions tumble by 10-15 per cent. Four-cylinder models are fitted with the set-up from launch, while six-cylinder cars get it in 2011.

Economy is also boosted by new engines, including a 175bhp 2.0-litre four-cylinder unit for the 520i. This will be replaced at a later date by a 2.0-litre turbo, delivering either 200bhp or 250hbp.

The 272bhp straight-six from the 530i will be carried over unchanged, but the 550i will swap its 4.8-litre V8 for the cleaner and more powerful 401bhp twin-turbo 4.4-litre V8 from the 7-Series.

Diesel models will receive a similar shake-up. Although the 177bhp 520d will still be the entry point, a 3-Series-style EfficientDynamics variant with emissions of less than 120g/km is likely. Gone is the 197bhp six-cylinder unit from the 525d, replaced by a significantly more efficient 204bhp four-cylinder engine from the 123d. Both the 235bhp 530d and 286bhp twin-turbo 535d will return.

We’ve recently driven ActiveHybrid versions of the 7-Series and X6, and a petrol-electric 5-Series will follow. This variant is likely to appear in showrooms in 2011.

It will feature the same layout as the ActiveHybrid 7, combining a proven 218bhp 3.0-litre petrol engine from the 525i with an electric motor housed in the eight-speed automatic gearbox. But unlike the 7-Series, the ActiveHybrid 5 will have the ability to drive up to 2.5 miles on electric power alone.

The 5-Series family will grow when the Touring version is introduced in February. But performance fans will have to wait until 2012 for the next M5 – and the existing car’s V10 will make way for a 555bhp 4.8-litre twin-turbo V8.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...#ixzz0XOGLbxO4

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpr...th_5series.html

(stololen from OCAU)

Edited by antil33t

the back reminds of a merc, looks like they started with a whale and tried to make it sporty imo

The front is good looking no doubt about it,

but the back looks too much like a new seven series.

Its like the designer has got really passionate about it at the front but by the time he gets to the back hes got bored and stolen the rear end from the 7 series.

Theres nothing wrong with the rear end of the even series, but this car's design isn't very exciting, if you know what I mean

Edited by AJ-E30

Looks like every other new car now same basic shape, with the bmw grills etc.

No deal

LOVE it.

The new M5 will look hot based on this shape...

I like it, but can't say I love it... yet.

I'll wait and see it in the flesh.

However, it is an improvement over the previous model, although just about anything would be.

That looks great.

Put it this way, when I first saw the e60, I threw up in my mouth a little bit, but I grew to like it. This is a much better looking car, and will only get better with time.

its growing on me, although I did photoshop it a bit, lower headlights, smaller grill, lower badge, different wheels, slighly lowerd, and some messing round with the lines

post-3670-1258761086.jpg

O my God what have they done???

Would like to see some interior pic's but the front looks hideous the rear doesn't look much better no character to it what so ever. Sorry BMW you want be getting my order for one.

I actually don't think its that bad. Looks pretty similar to the other new BMW's.

:o Looks like a 3 series with a 1 series front on it.. a bit dissapointed.. I like the m5 engine though Edited by melowpuf

The E39 was regarded as hideous when it came out as was the E60, im convinced BMW's are so advanced that it takes a few years before they look good, this helps them age gracefully.

Would love one, looks make up a small portion of why this car will be the best in class, again.

Hmm, not sold on that.

Looks like lots of different recent BMW's thrown together by Picasso.

The E39 was regarded as hideous when it came out as was the E60, im convinced BMW's are so advanced that it takes a few years before they look good, this helps them age gracefully.

Would love one, looks make up a small portion of why this car will be the best in class, again.

Agree totally. I remember when the e60 came out and everyone thought it was ugly. Now we are used to it and it is accepted. The noise on the M5 forums is that no one likes the proposed TT V8 for the M5 but they will get over it in time.

Not a fan :(

I really hope it grows on me though as I love the 5 series.

Agree totally. I remember when the e60 came out and everyone thought it was ugly. Now we are used to it and it is accepted. The noise on the M5 forums is that no one likes the proposed TT V8 for the M5 but they will get over it in time.

Please please don't put a V8 is the M5 - there are enough of those holden and audi things with V8s. Lets keep the sound only a V10 can make - with a couple of turbos maybe!!!!!

I think I'm pissing in the wind...the V8TT is looking most likely.....

::sob::

the reason the M5 had a v10 engine in the first place was due to F1 racing team using the engine in their cars, when the rules changed they started making the move away from these engines before they pulled out... hence the v8TT i think it will be a good change, ill sure as hell miss the sound, but a v8tt has a purr that wets the sternest virgins panties. plus power to weight may show an interesting change?

the reason the M5 had a v10 engine in the first place was due to F1 racing team using the engine in their cars, when the rules changed they started making the move away from these engines before they pulled out... hence the v8TT i think it will be a good change, ill sure as hell miss the sound, but a v8tt has a purr that wets the sternest virgins panties. plus power to weight may show an interesting change?

Dude, I'm afraid having driven the V10 several times and the X6M (which has the fabled V8TT) - the V8 sounds like an old retired bull compared to the rip snorting howl of the V10.

Also, if any of you have heard the X6M - it is bloody quiet. Stink! If they do use the V8TT in the new M5 - I hope they open the pipes and let the sound out!!!

(and if you love V8s sooooo much - buy a Baaaathurst holden...hehehe - REF: Top Gear)

surely for an M5 it would have a different set up to the X6m...? i would have thought so.

as long as the M5 still delivers the performance it is so well known and respected for i dont mind which engine it has.

and on the Baaathursh note i might be a bit guilty... =) holden fan myself

Ahhh so many haters!

I think the car is awesome..

Perhaps it takes a trained eye to be able to appreciate the things they have done (design wise)

E60 which was clearly a Bangle car, which for the record I have no problem with, his designs were/are great. Yet the E60 seemed more about reinvention. Where as this new 5 isnt drawn that was as it pays much more attention to the past models and uses styling cues from that.. For example, the rear of the car pays distinctive homage to the E34. Yes the rear does look very similar to the new 7 but the rear of the E34 also looked similar to the rear of a E32 7-Series...

The front which is obviously the face of the car so it is for many the main focus and point to recognise the car so a bit of reinvention is always required yet in the photos I have seen it portrays the same design features and proportions of the E39 by use of the narrower/flatter headlights.

I think the car looks great, as already said, BMW is usually ahead of the game the cars will make more sense and look better after a year or two. I remember everyone saying they hated the E60 when it came out, yet its one of the best sellers... go figure.

Give it time people.