Sign in to follow this  
Apex

Best M5?

Best M5?  

123 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

E34 for me.

You can still tinker/service/maintain/mod DIY with ease.

E39+ = electronic gizzmo this that and every other thing, fancy vanos hu-ha.....

This bad boy every time- and one day I hope to drive one!

Posted Image

In the meantime I'll look to put my 535 back on the road, once we've gotten our new arrival sorted :D

This would be awesome, but I thought they never made these in RHD, and had to be modified? I could do with a Touring at the mo :D

pretty sure the uK got them

E34 for me.

You can still tinker/service/maintain/mod DIY with ease.

E39+ = electronic gizzmo this that and every other thing, fancy vanos hu-ha.....

e34 FTW :wub: good stance, no need for but why not add a turbo for the fun of it, straight 6 lovin

an very well said glen.

I voted E39 for obvious reasons. I've been in the E60 ring taxi twice and driven 1 E60 M5. The E39 is more responsive low down - the E60 has all the power up high which = great for track but not ideal for the road.

I voted E39 for obvious reasons. I've been in the E60 ring taxi twice and driven 1 E60 M5. The E39 is more responsive low down - the E60 has all the power up high which = great for track but not ideal for the road.

yes often overlooked the S62 is a horsepower king AND a torque monster

For the 40 of you that voted E39, this is a good buy

That is a lot of car for the money! Has anyone looked at it? Its been for sale for a while - is there a reason why? It wouldn't be hard to be a better car than the one at Tradin Post.

They all have quite high millage, what's annual servicing costs like nordschleife?

Servicing costs aren't too bad considering the performance.

I use Andrew Hollywood Motors instead of going to a BMW dealer - they are actual mechanics rather than technicans and charge a fair price. I also buy my parts off shore and save a bundle in the process. I travel to Europe for work at least once a year to bring any parts back with me.

I like my cars to be in good shape so address any issues sooner rather than later. When I bought the car I had a PPI done which revealed a few minor issues (bushes, PS hoses, etc) that I resolved straight away. Those issues coupled with the Inspection 1 and a pair of tyres probably totals $1.5-$2k spent on it in the last 12 months. Then add another $600-$700 for OEM bluetooth - because I like my toys!

I think the trick is to buy one that has been well maintained. I looked at the one at Tradin Post for reference when I was in Auckland for a concert and if all else was equal I'd happily pay another $10k for my car. I used to say I've never seen a rough E39 M5 and although that one isn't a basket case, it needs some TLC.

The one above looks like a nice car - I'd be interested to see it in the flesh.

Doesn’t sound bad, I suppose a basic service is a similar cost to a 540i, Id expect specific M-Parts would be a little more costly, from all accounts I have seen the V8 is a reliable car, much easier to live with than the older E34 and not as scary as the E60, Id want an E60 M5 but would be completely sh*t scared of out of warranty repair costs..

I think this thread easy demonstrates the E39 will become a future classic, a sort after classic, im scared to think what will happen to the E60’s, how will the third owner be able to afford to fix them?

Also note there are a lot more E60 M5’s then there are 545/50i’s!

Will edit that, just had a look on TM and there are quite a few 545i’s for sale all of a sudden, most Japanese imports last time I looked they were outnumbered by M5’s. Whats the market doing :mellow:

Edited by Apex