Sign in to follow this  
iSO

'87 e30 Blown Gearbox

Hey im looking to do a manual conversion. im going to do it myself because im on a limited budget. i am mechanicaly minded and took auto mech at school for like 3 years so i do know my way around. but ive never done a conversion before and i worked on jappas at school so ive never touched a bmw before. can anyone help? like would any bmw manual fit? how the clutch gets fitted, if i need to change the flywheel etc...

thanks guys.

For an 87 E30 320i you require a getrag 240 box ( or bigger 260 will fit) - to fit an M20 engine. You also require everything else in the conversion - pedal box (brake pedal + manual bolt at least - to convert auto pedal box), clutch master & slave cylinders, fluid line, box, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, spigot bearing, manual d/shaft or at least manual front section to convert yours.

A straight forward job but with respect - if you are asking on clutch & flywheel - I recommend you get help from someone who knows.

Edit to description

Edited by hotwire

For an 87 E30 320i you require a getrag 240 box ( or bigger 260 will fit) - to fit an M20 engine. You also require everything else in the conversion - pedal box (brake pedal + manual bolt at least - to convert auto pedal box), clutch master & slave cylinders, fluid line, box, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, release bearing, spigot bearing, manual d/shaft or at least manual front section to convert yours.

A straight forward job but with respect - if you are asking on clutch & flywheel - I recommend you get help from someone who knows.

Edit to description

would it be easier to take the whole engine out or just take out the back mounts?

I suggest you use the "search" function on the forum... this has been covered so many friggen times its not funny and boring

Edited by *Glenn*

I've done it before and can give you a hand / guidance if you want.. Or could do it for you for a couple box's or something..

I've done it before and can give you a hand / guidance if you want.. Or could do it for you for a couple box's or something..

Can do it or a couple of boxes (i'm assumming booze) - shite you're cheap labour!

Actually yeah I'll re-think that offer lol.. But hit me up and I can do the whole swap for cheap.. Just supply all the parts and I can have it done in a day.

Edited by e30ftw