Sign in to follow this  
Gus

2.7 Build

This is the article from the October 04 Edition of Total BMW.....clears up a lot of confusion about the 2.7 L M20 build

post-5-1105757665.jpg

its around....i got that one at whitcoulls on corner queen n victoria st

how hard is it to score the diesel crank in NZ?

so u gonna use 2.7 L eta crank with 2.7L con rods using 325i pistons and 323 head?

My local paper plus gets it in for me specially for $17 (the benefits of living in a small town and knowing the owner - it is $20 at whitcoulls in auckland I think). Whitcoulls and Paper plus are usually at least a month behind the current issue though (with the odd exception, but who cares)

I have also on occaison got it delivered directly from the publishers - A & S publishing in the UK - they charge 6.50 pounds including delivery which takes about two weeks.

On my VISA this works out to be about $18 including VISA charges and bank charges for the currency change but obviously the exact amount changes depending on the exchange rate.

Click here for A&S's online shop - you can also buy back issues for the same price.

My local paper plus gets it in for me specially for $17 (the benefits of living in a small town and knowing the owner - it is $20 at whitcoulls in auckland I think). Whitcoulls and Paper plus are usually at least a month behind the current issue though (with the odd exception, but who cares)

I have also on occaison got it delivered directly from the publishers - A & S publishing in the UK - they charge 6.50 pounds including delivery which takes about two weeks.

On my VISA this works out to be about $18 including VISA charges and bank charges for the currency change but obviously the exact amount changes depending on the exchange rate.

Click here for A&S's online shop - you can also buy back issues for the same price.

$15.45 at Whitcoulls at St Lukes.

But yes, they are always one month behind.

Cheers

im hoping to find out how common deisel cranks are, and call some wreckers about costs and all that......im prob not going to do a 2.7 build, but have the parts for sale if others are interested

i sold my sh*t for round 5 hundy

a full eta engine is c.$1500

you wont find a diesel crank easily n NZ

to be honest i dont think its worth it. would much rather using the money for a rebuild (lots) to add a turbo as opposed to 200 more cc.

Good article. Now I'm wondering if maybe I should turn my E21 323i into a 2.7. The head is cracked (see my other posting in 'Maintenance'). Finding the right parts might be a mission though.

P

seems to at the moment...i know of about 2-3 people looking for 2.7 bits..a recently bought one may have turned out to be rubbish too.

definately a good idea! nice and easy build for you to do

definately a good idea! nice and easy build for you to do

I hear you can do the rebuild with only a seat belt and a hammer :lol:

Building a decent 2.7 is not difficult, putting an M50 into your e30 is a lot of work, do the 2.7 IMO..

Will

This is the article from the October 04 Edition of Total BMW.....clears up a lot of confusion about the 2.7 L M20 build

can hardly read it, the words are all blotchy whats it like for everyone else

in europe there basically throwing away all the old sh*t box desil engines so you could probly get a stak of them for not much more than postage and packaging cost. or you could just do it with lower comppresion and bolt on an old toyota celica 2.5L Supercharger to be different.