Sign in to follow this  
simke

E46 rear subframe failure

Right so this has happened to my poor baby... not really surprised knowing my luck :angry: My understanding is that this is a fairly common problem on pre-2001 E46s, so I rang BMW NZ to ask them if there is anything they can do. They told me to take the car to Team McMillan for an assessment, which is what I've done today. So they had a look at it, took some photos, etc and are going to send details to BMW tomorrow.

Has anyone had any experience with this, more importantly dealing with BMW regarding this problem? I'm going to have to fix it anyway I guess, but I'm not happy at all that it has happened especially when you think about the cost that is involved in fixing it.

What has happened & what is actually faulty ? Does the subframe mounting points have cracks in them ? Because I've read about it , but never seen it yet. I would really like to have a look if poss.

It had ripped next to the left rear mount and there is actually a hole that you can almost stick a finger through... looks really bad. I've noticed a funny squeaking noise recently coming from the back, so I took the car to BM Workshop for a check... couldn't believe it when I saw it. They said they've seen it fail on a few M3s but nothing near as bad as my one. Will try to get some photos if I can.

Has your car had any suspension mods?? I understand that certain mods can cause heaps of problems on the E46's

None whatsoever...It does however have BMW's sport suspension which is very stiff (I'm sure you already know that :) ), and they told me it could be the cause of the problem. So I guess now I have to wait and see what is going to happen... but I'm not happy at all.

I'd really like to have a look if possible... for reference & knowledge... only if thats possible. If not.. photos would be great if thats possible. Oooops...to many possy's

Are you open on saturday? I can pop in to your workshop if you want to have a look. They said its safe to drive as long as I don't push it hard :)

I could be.. not sure at this stage... Pm me your mobile... I'll give you a call tomorrow

Here's a video showing the extent of the damage

NOTE: the repair work done by this guy is NOT the approved method - he just welds the cracks and fits plates.

The approved method is filling the chassis cavity with expanding aerospace foam to prevent the metal flexing

NOTE: the problem is worse in cars with stiff sports suspension, in diesel cars with high torque motors, and in cars that are driven hard (lots of high rev fast clutch drops). All these things mean the motor torque causes more body flex as the suspension cannot absorb as much of the loads. The body flex results in the metal fatigue and the subframe mount failure.

I've read the repair instructions once... a BIG job...

BMW recommend removing ALL active airbag components and ALL control units prior to doing any welding on the vehicle frame. That way you assure no electronics are damaged by the welding currents.

Of course, you must remove the exhaust system, the rear axle assembly, and the fuel tank, as well as strip the boot of everything.

Afterwards, rustproofing, underbody sealant, paint and wheel alignment is required.

My friend had his M3 subframe repaired by BMW in Australia and sent me the photos - a lot of dismantling was done to the car!! He was lucky in that his got done by BMW under warranty, at no cost, but he said it was about ä AUD 12,000 of work... !!

Edited by jochen

Oh that sucks :(

Out of interest, what were the symptoms? Was it just the squeaking or did you notice other stuff as well?

Squeaking noise and I can feel a bit of movement in the rear that I haven't felt before... or maybe I'm just imagining. I can understand what jochen was explaining, stiff suspension, hard driving, etc... but still... you'd think they would design the car properly so that it could handle their own suspension and engine torque. If I wanted to drive like a granny I'd buy a Prius or something similar :angry:

They do advertise the BMW as the "Ultimate Driving Machine" ha

Common problem in England so I led to believe

Squeaking noise and I can feel a bit of movement in the rear that I haven't felt before... or maybe I'm just imagining. I can understand what jochen was explaining, stiff suspension, hard driving, etc... but still... you'd think they would design the car properly so that it could handle their own suspension and engine torque. If I wanted to drive like a granny I'd buy a Prius or something similar :angry:

Top engine mounting plate area on the 306's do the same thing over time the metal fatigues from rocking of the engine, people think the top mount is shot when it's really the mounting plate for the top mount has torn from the body of the car.

Right so this has happened to my poor baby... not really surprised knowing my luck :angry: My understanding is that this is a fairly common problem on pre-2001 E46s, so I rang BMW NZ to ask them if there is anything they can do. They told me to take the car to Team McMillan for an assessment, which is what I've done today. So they had a look at it, took some photos, etc and are going to send details to BMW tomorrow.

Has anyone had any experience with this, more importantly dealing with BMW regarding this problem? I'm going to have to fix it anyway I guess, but I'm not happy at all that it has happened especially when you think about the cost that is involved in fixing it.

That sux man, at least they didn't say no, there is still hope if they will have a look... Now the problem is how long will they need to have a look.

What sort of life has the car been through and how many kms have you had it for?

I guess that is true, I'm hoping they will pay for the repairs... they have already contacted Euro Collisions who have sent an estimate back to them, so I guess I'll hear back sometime next week... they said 1-2 working days. However they may not be able to do repairs till after xmas, and I kind of need the car during holidays, but not much I can do about that now.

I've had the car for last 2 years, done about 35k kms during that time, no track days or anything like that, and its been well looked after by me and the previous owners.

well simke, it's looking good if they have contacted a repairer. It's a sigh of relief.

Keep us posted, I interested to know the outcome. I have a 328ci too, I bet there are other e46 owners who are curious too.

I know it won't be the same driving one of these but time to rent a Ford or Holden for the holiday trip.

Finally good news today - BMW have agreed to cover the cost of repairs, so I'm very pleased about this. Euro Collisions are going to carry out repairs. On the downside I won't have a car until all this is sorted out, which by the looks of things won't be this year. Maybe its time for a look for a cheap E30 to drive around in the meantime.

Thats great news. At least with Dave fixing it, its going to be right

On what Basis did BMW cover it?Did you have a warrenty or was there a callback on that model of car etc.

Seems really good of them

Edit - This is a really good read

Edited by braeden.

On what Basis did BMW cover it?Did you have a warrenty or was there a callback on that model of car etc.

Seems really good of them

Edit - This is a really good read

Didn't have a warranty, I guess they have covered it on the basis that this is a common problem with E46s built before 2001. Good on them for sorting this out.

Good news Smike, that’s really good of BMW, even though its an old car I guess there BMW PR people are aware of what would happen if they didn’t cover it, shame you won’t have a car for a few weeks.

I will be checking ours out next time it’s in the air.

Very interesting ... and good on BMW for it.

Keep us posted on the outcome.