Sign in to follow this  
APT

Alpinas Rub

Took my car out for a spin today out through Whitford and im getting abit of rubbing in the rears when going around corners and and the fronts wheels seem to touch the fronts when turning full lock.

The rears can be solved by slightly rolling the guards due to the 2 lip rear arch or a thicker rear spring pad to raise it up, but what would be the best way to solve the fronts instead of rolling ? - there doesnt seem to be much room for rolling due to the plastic inner guard. Need Advice/Help Please im running 215/40/17's if that helps .

I am also running the 17" Alpina reps on my E30 sedan and I experienced the exact same things after fitting them.

The friendly guys at mag and tyre direct rolled the rear guards a little and for the front they removed the front inner arch lining/panel as the tyres were rubbing on this at full lock. It solved what you have described.

The lining is only held on by a couple of bolts.

Note I am running 205/40/17's rather than 215 and my car is a little higher than yours at the front so you might have other issues.

Hope this helps.

Alan

Get some adjustable top mounts for the front shocks and dial in some more camber to tuck the top of the wheels under.

Run a 205 at the front.

Roll the guards.

Short of changing your front springs/shocks to something stiffer theres nothing else you can really do.

From experience Ive noticed that when you pull into driveways and the car gets on funny angles you cant use full lock, youve just got to be careful and get a feel for how much to turn in.

I dont get why you can't roll the front gaurds? Done it to 3 E30's and had no problems. Apart from one where paint cracked from running stupid offsets.

And I have some 10ish mm nolathane spacers for the rear if you wanna swap for a doz summits.

What offset are the wheels? I ran 17x7 20p offset with 205/40's, they had maybe 2-3mm clearance in the rear (that was with rim tucked under the guard to) and in the front I had only rubbing going up driveways, slightly rolled my guards with a baseball bat to avoid it but the car was way to low anyways... You would probably have more luck using a smaller tyre IMO, and a bit of guard rolling.

Alpina`s (genuine) that don`t rub. Staggered with 225`s on the back.

post-1470-1259701123.jpg

Guard rolling the fronts it is then, just didnt think there was much of the 2nd lip like they have in the back. I might take u up on that deal Ashkan will give you a text.

post-1470-1259701123.jpg

Are those 16's or 17's ?

16`s were the only size Alpina made for E30`s.

post-1470-1259701123.jpg

How is that helpful?

You just stated that they don't rub - whippee doo!! :P

I can also show you plenty of cars with wheels that don't rub. How about we try and help the man out rather than just post up meaningless pictures?

Andrew - a 205/40/17 would be a better option for you tyre wise as it will give you a bit more room away from the guards. However, it made sense to use the tyres you currently had as they are all just about brand new. We haven't had any trouble with the wheels previously but I think that is because we have generally run a 20/40/17 on them.

Probably your cheapest and easiest option will be to roll the guards before it gets painted. You might also want to take a look at the condition of the shocks and the bushes because if they are worn out it will give you more body roll and movement in the arms etc.

cheers

Edited by zenetti

^^ Exactly what i thought haha just didnt want to say it.

Thanks for the info man i reckon it could partially be the shocks i am running. As my fronts are pretty crap really and could do with a upgrade. Love the height and width of tyres right now so i'll think i'l stick with them atm. Thanks again guys front guards will be rolled lol.

How is that helpful?

You just stated that they don't rub - whippee doo!!

I can also show you plenty of cars with wheels that don't rub. How about we try and help the man out rather than just post up meaningless pictures?

Sheesh Flanders, take a chill pill. Your PMS is showing.

Sheesh Flanders, take a chill pill. Your PMS is showing.

Leave it on topic aye. I am getting sick ( as I am sure are others) of all the pointless posts that are rapidly turning this forum into total nonsense and are not really helping the original posters who ask for advice. A bit like your post really. :P If you can help by all all means do so.

Anyway back OT - I think Andrew has got a few ideas on how to solve his problem.