Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Terrible Fuel Economy :S

how about you temp gauge does it sit on or just above the blue or will it get up to 1/4 or 1/2??

All BMW's run at half way (middle of the guage) if everthing is working properly

How diagnost fault crectly?

but mine is working i think jus want to chek it is proper.

Mine has testy ligt 12 volt did this right or not ?

Nun morse help from peples

I think I found your problem OP... these guys have been drinking your gas.

^ LOL

There is 2 sensors for temp, Brown one is for the gauge cluster and the blue one is for the ECU. It's supposed to be measured by resistance at certain temps, not power.

what would be the average time for an e30 to warm up glenn? mine gets to halfway but it can take a while

Really depends on ambient temperature, engine condition and how its driven and whats turned on at the time... like AC

Edited by *Glenn*

^ LOL

There is 2 sensors for temp, Brown one is for the gauge cluster and the blue one is for the ECU. It's supposed to be measured by resistance at certain temps, not power.

but if it is no power how can I mesure it?

Really depends on ambient temperature, engine condition and how its driven and whats turned on at the time... like AC

its PFL so no ac. :( usually around mid morning (7,8am) down in the deep south, so only a couple of degrees

just a bit annoyed cause it uses ALOT of gas when its not warm and usually dosent fully warm up by the time i get to school. about 5km away?

E: sorry for OT :ph34r:

Edited by Wervie67

My wife resists all the time ... how do I measure that?

Sorry John.. I had to say that

You need to be more specific with your advise. Your right... you measure resistance at a given temperature at the sender unit.. I dont have those values here at home though.

Could please expain how to check this falt ?

Resitance values - approx: 3ish k ohms at cold, 250ish ohms at operating temp. Blue two terminal temp sender. Single terminal sender is for gauge

I have different values for the bosch engine temp sensor? 187ohms at 100C. 1707ohms at 30C.

I said ish. You will find when stone cold resistance will be high 2k's. At normal operating temp will be around 250ohms

Your figures will be correct - 100C is higher than normal operating temp - hense lower reading

Also cold engine is below 30C - again - reason fo higher reading.

As long as the unit is coming down to a low reading - this won't be the problem

ok some basics.. but could affect gas milage:

tyre pressure, wheel alignments, fuel filter, leads, spark plugs dirty trans oil, injectors, leaks, o2, MAF, dirty diff oil etc...

is your car running lean or rich?? exhaust smells like gas??

oh and are you carrying a dead hippo carcas in your boot? LOL

all of the above has been worked on/replaced in the last year, except the AFM (my first idea) and the fuel filter which may be a good time to replace it

as said above, i have no sence of smell so i cant tell you that :S

not a dead hippo. just a few subs and amps. but the car has always had bad economy even when it was stock standard. havent noticed any increase in consumption because of this weight

Memory fail. :o

Seriously, My m20b20 used to be the same as this.. It was slow and sluggish, blew smoke up high in the rev's, spat unburnt fuel when idling. The fix, threw that motor.

M50/52 next year.. i have it sorted out haha

I remember talking to a guy, he didn't know he had a fuel leak but noticed it one day when his car was running under the car, it was dripping slowly but evaporating as it hit the ground. So you pretty much would never notice.

Maybe run the car and have a look around the rear fuel lines, lift the rear seat check under the inspection cover for the fuel pump, follow the lines under the passenger side of the car to where they go rubber again into the engine bay.

will do

how about you temp gauge does it sit on or just above the blue or will it get up to 1/4 or 1/2??

It chills on half way, sometime goes around 3/4 when i drive hard but will then go back to half

can i get an agreement on the temp sensor ohm ratings?

parts list:

Temp sensor

Fuel Filter

Possibly AFM if those other two dont work

Agreed?

I expect the 3.5ish LSD to make a difference over the 4.46 open as well. if i get exactly 200kms now, (calculates: 200*4.46=890/3.6=247kms ) can i expect to get 247kms when the LSD is in? or doesnt it work like that?

I guess it doesn't make you feel any better if I tell you I got 810 k's on my last tank of diesel in my 2000 Rodeo 4wd ute - done 213000 k's and with the AC running hard.......works out to 7.5 litres per 100k's. Stoked!

big heavy wheels make for bad economy

can i get an agreement on the temp sensor ohm ratings?

parts list:

Temp sensor

Fuel Filter

Possibly AFM if those other two dont work

Agreed?

I expect the 3.5ish LSD to make a difference over the 4.46 open as well. if i get exactly 200kms now, (calculates: 200*4.46=890/3.6=247kms ) can i expect to get 247kms when the LSD is in? or doesnt it work like that?

Temp sensor readings - as I stated. If you read my second post - all the figures compute thereabouts. It is entirely dependent on engine temperature at a specific time.

Again -As long as it comes down to around those hot readings - it is recognising a hot engine

big heavy wheels make for bad economy

my rims are quite light (lighter than stock wheels) so this wont be my issue. i HATE chromes with a passion

Temp sensor readings - as I stated. If you read my second post - all the figures compute thereabouts. It is entirely dependent on engine temperature at a specific time.

Again -As long as it comes down to around those hot readings - it is recognising a hot engine

cool cool. ill see how i go