Sign in to follow this  
greenday-rulz21

Checking who owns Personalised Plates?

Simple question really.

Is there anyway to find out who the owner of a personalised plate is?

Tried carjam but its not currently on a vehicle, actually it hasn't been on a vehicle since '92.

Really want the plate damn it!

Cheers

Have wondered the same thing. There is a plate that I want that has not been on a car since 98. Thing is I use to know the owner. And he has since gone back home to Japan. And have lost all contact.

Maybe ring up Plates and see if it can be re-issued?

Try calling plates, they can find out and contact the owner with an offer, broker a deal so to speak.

My Mother has a kick ass plate that she doesn’t use and she get calls all the time… over 10k and she didn’t take it, I think they are a good investment.

Waht are you after Nick?? MY323i?

Yea, I'll give them a call this afternoon. I buy plates as investments mainly, I think they're good. Only problem is finding that one person in Auckland or the couple people in NZ who are actually willing to pay top dollar. Most are just time wasters as usual.

No! I'm not after that! We'll wait and see.

Yeah call plates.

I still don't technically own BMDUBS tbh, the asian dude I bought it off didn't sign the papers.. Need to look into that

Simple question really.

Is there anyway to find out who the owner of a personalised plate is?

Tried carjam but its not currently on a vehicle, actually it hasn't been on a vehicle since '92.

Really want the plate damn it!

Cheers

What plate are you after? (PM me if you wish...)

Yea, I'll give them a call this afternoon. I buy plates as investments mainly, I think they're good. Only problem is finding that one person in Auckland or the couple people in NZ who are actually willing to pay top dollar. Most are just time wasters as usual.

No! I'm not after that! We'll wait and see.

What other plates do you own?

Yeah call plates.

I still don't technically own BMDUBS tbh, the asian dude I bought it off didn't sign the papers.. Need to look into that

I saw you buy that plate, and I knew the guy didn't own it technically. The rules on plates have recently changed within the last month regarding plate ownership.

If it's been on your car for over a month, you can get LicenSys NZ to issue a form that you need a JP to sign stating you are the owner. Fax that away and the plate will be put in your name if the accept it.

i got offered 6 grand for mine...

What plate's that?

Yeah call plates.

Possession is 9/10ths of the law is what plates.co.nz basicly told me when I enquired about loaning one of my old plates to a mate, they said basicly once he has it I could have a hard time getting it back if things went sour... so just make sure no one steals it and you'll be right! haha

Interesting to know plates will contact a plate owner. Ive been keeping an eye on a plate that hasn't been on a car in years, might ring them when I have some money and get them to contact the owner.

Edit: just carjam'd the plate and it's on a merc now :( Shizzle lol

Edited by HT.

And you didn't sell it?

It was a 21st gift from my friends, and i really like the plate so i'm going to keep it...

What plate's that?

DRTDVL = Dirt Devil, Dirty Devil, Dr Ted Ville

Yeah call plates.

Peter, All you have to do is swear out an affidavit and get it signed by a JP to have the ownership changed.

You can download a copy of the affidavit from the LTNZ web site.

JP, I'll PM you.

Sent Personalised Plates an email last night, just with a few questions. A great guy called me back this morning, really helpful and genuinely interested in helping me out.

Said the plate was last registered in '92 and since then the owner has possibly gone overseas or maybe even deceased. So I'm pretty much screwed.

When you purchase a PP you own the title for life. The interesting thing I learnt is that if the owner of a plate dies the actual plate is legally 'gone' forever. Unless I guess their will states to change ownership over.

It's seriously easy to find the owner of a plate if its still on a car, but if it hasn't been on a vehicle in a number of years the chances of finding the owner are extremely low.

When transferring a plate over the only information LicenSys receives for the new owner is name, address, and a phone number. If they move like hell they'd remember to inform LicenSys, so there is a flaw in the system! Even badass guy agreed with me.

Personalised Plates does not hold ownership information of the plates, this is LicenSys domain (What cool guy told me). So I have now emailed LicenSys and will see what they can say.

Cheers for the responses!

Been offered a few 1000 for mine as well: ETHRTY (E30) but i dont wanna sell it! im sure i could get more than that if i wanted to sell it anyways

I declined an offer from PP on behalf of someone that offered me $3,000 for my plate GLENNS

Guest Ari Gold

JP, I'll PM you.

Sent Personalised Plates an email last night, just with a few questions. A great guy called me back this morning, really helpful and genuinely interested in helping me out.

Said the plate was last registered in '92 and since then the owner has possibly gone overseas or maybe even deceased. So I'm pretty much screwed.

When you purchase a PP you own the title for life. The interesting thing I learnt is that if the owner of a plate dies the actual plate is legally 'gone' forever. Unless I guess their will states to change ownership over.

It's seriously easy to find the owner of a plate if its still on a car, but if it hasn't been on a vehicle in a number of years the chances of finding the owner are extremely low.

When transferring a plate over the only information LicenSys receives for the new owner is name, address, and a phone number. If they move like hell they'd remember to inform LicenSys, so there is a flaw in the system! Even badass guy agreed with me.

Personalised Plates does not hold ownership information of the plates, this is LicenSys domain (What cool guy told me). So I have now emailed LicenSys and will see what they can say.

Cheers for the responses!

Woah, someone helpful from Plates.co.nz! Get that man a DB!