Sign in to follow this  
danj

Purchasing a station wagon

Priorities:

Reliability and Comfort (in that order, by reliability I do NOT mean cheap to run, I mean reliable, I am happy to pay for routine maintenance, I just don't want something that's going to require a trip to the local dealer every 3 months).

Preferably European

Purpose for vehicle:

Mixture of high open road km's, commuting between towns / cities with 1~3 people on board with large amounts of luggage (hence the station wagon over sedan), and driving around town doing shopping etc

Currently considering:

• Audi A4, quattro and standard
  • BMW e46 and e39 (my preference is with the e46 unless someone can suggest a good reason why I would choose an e39, other than it's larger capacity, I just see it as costing more money in fuel and maintenance)
  • VW Passat

Advice on what would be a good choice is appreciated, especially from people that have driven them and/or have mechanical knowledge about any of them.

I'd be interested to know which specific years or models to avoid, engines to avoid etc etc.

Any car I buy will go through a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer before I make my decision.

Cheers

if you can find one... a skoda octavia... very hard to find tho.

left field = Saab 9-5 wagon.

E46 or E39 would both be nice a quick look at trade me suggests there are plenty of options in your budget.

Go test driving and see what you like! Whatever you get try for NZ New and a High Spec.

Why can you see a E39 costing more in maintenance and fuel. I suspect you are wanting a 2.5L engine for the open road???, I would pick a 523i-530i for that money with people and open road, you'll know all about the 1800cc 3 series real quick.

Once again why do the E39's cost more in maintenance?, have you been misinformed, it's a good budget maybe a 330i e46. E39 or SAAB 95 01 aero wagon for $17k in Wellington a few months back was tempting.

I've been pondering the same Q of late.

$10-20k is big range.

An E39 Motorsport 540i-T would be at the top of the list.

But the best value for $$ seem to be the later model Nissan Stagea's.

They are also a good size wagon without being huge, a bit on the fugly side, but kind or grow on you bit.

I think a E46 Touring would be a bit on the small size.

I'm liking a Volvo V70R around the corner also, but is about 2x the budget :(

Yea X2, as much as I like my European cars they are not light on the wallet if you plan on clocking up high millage and in that price range you are looking at cars that are old enough to start intermediate next term.

I have driven the Holden Commodore VZ with the S suspension and the Generation-3 V8 a few times and that’s what I would spend my 15k on.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-259534971.htm

Please disagree with me.

Why can you see a E39 costing more in maintenance and fuel. I suspect you are wanting a 2.5L engine for the open road???, I would pick a 523i-530i for that money with people and open road, you'll know all about the 1800cc 3 series real quick.

Once again why do the E39's cost more in maintenance?, have you been misinformed, it's a good budget maybe a 330i e46. E39 or SAAB 95 01 aero wagon for $17k in Wellington a few months back was tempting.

I was thinking a 325i, 330's seem to be pretty rare. I assumed the equivalent 5 series (for example a 525) would cost more in fuel due to the added weight, especially around town.

Maintenance costs... well I figured since the 5 series cost more to purchase new, that all replacement parts would be more expensive, services would cost more due to increased complexity, also more things to break / fail due to all their features, feel free to correct me (I do like the 5 series, but don't see a great need for the extra space just yet).

I've been pondering the same Q of late.

$10-20k is big range.

An E39 Motorsport 540i-T would be at the top of the list.

But the best value for $$ seem to be the later model Nissan Stagea's.

They are also a good size wagon without being huge, a bit on the fugly side, but kind or grow on you bit.

I think a E46 Touring would be a bit on the small size.

I'm liking a Volvo V70R around the corner also, but is about 2x the budget :(

Lets make the budget 14-18 then, I can push a bit higher if it's going to get me something much better...

540i is too much of a killer on fuel around town, and I can't justify that much power, most trips will be me and 1 other person.

Please disagree with me.

Ok, it is now a requirement that the car is european...

Seriously though, I had a look at some commodore and falcon wagons... I just can't do it... so hideous. Ditto for the nissan stagea's, sorry guys.

I don't mind paying for maintenence and services, what I don't want to pay for is parts that are failing when they shouldn't. (Basically I want to avoid having to take the car to the dealer other than for regular services, because it's a real f**king hassle, which is why reliability is at the top of my list).

I can't justify that much power

wash your mouth out!

seriously though, they are pretty bad around town (I'm getting anything from 12-16L/100km around town depending on how I drive it but its wicked on the open road for overtaking or hills, especially if you've often got a few people in the car and on the open road a fair bit

Mike - Do you play that game where you have to pass the car in front of you then eliminate them from your rear view mirror I would say the 540 would be the weapon of choice for that?

Poster 1 here here on the aussie car comments I can vouch I've had 7 falcons and currently daily a BA XR6 and they are nothing on the German engineering in terms of refinement.

test drive a few cars and see how you go. I find my E39 to small if anything.

VW Golf wagon? Iv got a 2001 version in manual and its great for long trips.

No one has mentioned an Audi Allroad ? 2.7 l motor in the older one with turbo. Wife has had 2 to date and I rate them highly. Full of toys and leather plus it would have to be the best towing vehicle with self adjusting suspension which auto levels out depending on the load. I am out of touch on price of them so that may be an issue on budget

No one has mentioned an Audi Allroad ? 2.7 l motor in the older one with turbo. Wife has had 2 to date and I rate them highly. Full of toys and leather plus it would have to be the best towing vehicle with self adjusting suspension which auto levels out depending on the load. I am out of touch on price of them so that may be an issue on budget

I had a look at those, they look nice and I'm sure the ride is good in them... but I've heard horrible things about reliability of audi's in general, can anyone offer an insight to this? Glenn maybe?

I had a look at those, they look nice and I'm sure the ride is good in them... but I've heard horrible things about reliability of audi's in general, can anyone offer an insight to this? Glenn maybe?

Having imported about 6 BMWs and wife has had 4 Audis (all 98 to 06)- 2 x A4 Avants & 2 x Allroads, I would say that the BMWs have had more work done on them than the Audi. Service bills are about the same for both marques. The key is to have them checked out by the respective stealers before purchase as they can identify most "common" issues they know about and commonly fix them.

The only issue I am aware of is to stay away from the 1.8l turbo motor after it has had 100kms on the clock. With the Allroad, the shocks pump themselves up but a common fault is to have a leak on the shock overnight = car looking like it is kneeling on one side. Once the key turns, the pump starts and it comes up.

Thanks RvT, that's valuable information :)

Very tempted by the allroad now, will go and check a few out after christmas.

Having imported about 6 BMWs and wife has had 4 Audis (all 98 to 06)- 2 x A4 Avants & 2 x Allroads, I would say that the BMWs have had more work done on them than the Audi. Service bills are about the same for both marques. The key is to have them checked out by the respective stealers before purchase as they can identify most "common" issues they know about and commonly fix them.

The only issue I am aware of is to stay away from the 1.8l turbo motor after it has had 100kms on the clock. With the Allroad, the shocks pump themselves up but a common fault is to have a leak on the shock overnight = car looking like it is kneeling on one side. Once the key turns, the pump starts and it comes up.

Because the wife was driving the Audi’s.

Because the wife was driving the Audi’s.

Hahaha :lol:

Maybe you have a point. Usually issues are reported a few days later with the wife and because it isn't your daily drive & they get forgotten to tell you. However if the BMW sneezes, it is in to the doctor ...

Yea X2, as much as I like my European cars they are not light on the wallet if you plan on clocking up high millage and in that price range you are looking at cars that are old enough to start intermediate next term.

I have driven the Holden Commodore VZ with the S suspension and the Generation-3 V8 a few times and that’s what I would spend my 15k on.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-259534971.htm

Please disagree with me.

ok i will disagree..

Fair enough.

I can’t sagest anything European that I would buy for the given purpose.

Can you sir? :P

Get a nicely spec'd NZ new Legacy or Outback wagon. Reliable and more upmarket feeling than the equivalent Japanese car.

Get a nicely spec'd NZ new Legacy or Outback wagon. Reliable and more upmarket feeling than the equivalent Japanese car.

The 3.0 legacy with the leather is a nice car. Have been tempted to sell the E30 and buy one a few times, they are a brilliant all rounder.

The 3.0 legacy with the leather is a nice car. Have been tempted to sell the E30 and buy one a few times, they are a brilliant all rounder.

My wife's car is the 3.0l Outback with full leather (L.L. Bean Edition). It is a great car.

My wife's car is the 3.0l Outback with full leather (L.L. Bean Edition). It is a great car.

I heard the 3.0l's were hard on gas (round town). Findings??