Sign in to follow this  
Danny Kiwi

Fuel Filter

Just how importent is changing the Fuel Filter in the Big Six

My 535i has not had a filter change in almost five years..

(Hiding Head in Shame)..but now seems to be running like a pig

could this be the cause..

I have never changed mine, and have had my E30 325i (smaller 6) for almost 5 years.

It is more of a problem if you let the tank run really low on fuel often, then you end up with the sh*t at the bottom of your fuel tank going through your fuel filter....but if it is running rough, it could be an option to look at replacing, but it is no use replacing it if there is nothing wrong with it.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

I have never changed mine, and have had my E30 325i (smaller 6) for almost 5 years.

It is more of a problem if you let the tank run really low on fuel often, then you end up with the sh*t at the bottom of your fuel tank going through your fuel filter....but if it is running rough, it could be an option to look at replacing, but it is no use replacing it if there is nothing wrong with it.

Cheers

Pretty much what Grant said, However I would include it in some kind of routine maintaince schedule.. 100000k perhaps.. Maybe even less.

Guest michael_xb

year if you run it empty sometimes then all the crap in the tank will go through the filter, i found that my standard one was so full that the petrol just coudnt get through and youd have to let the bits settle to get the car to start

excuse my stupidity...but when your nearing a filter change...would it not be better to run it empty...thus clearing some of the crap out of the tank...or would this not achieve much and just clog up the engine....where its harder to get it out of....is there any other way to clean some of the crap out of the tank?

short of removing the whole fuel tank and cleaning it out, I don't think so....but that is what the fuel filter is there for, so I wouldn't worry too much about any crap in the bottom of your tank.

Cheers

Guest Andrew

excuse my stupidity...but when your nearing a filter change...would it not be better to run it empty...thus clearing some of the crap out of the tank...or would this not achieve much and just clog up the engine....where its harder to get it out of....is there any other way to clean some of the crap out of the tank?

the feeder isn't at the bottom of the tank.. so you can't actually use the crap at the bottom. But it floats up, its pretty hard to get crap in the motor gus, how would it get through the injectors?

Guest Andrew

did mine today.. all good.. can got tuned also.. man i was running lean.. few more ponies at the wheels and the car starts properly now. Yay.