Sign in to follow this  
e30ftw

E30 24V

Hmm thought I'd start a project on my 'latest' e30 project since the photos are accumulating to a project-thread-worthy status.

Here she is, m50b25 NV 138,000kms I got from Kerry. Changed the valve cover and spark plug gaskets cos I noticed abit of leaks around the areas. Added my m20 lightweight flywheel. 6puk clutch and heavy duty pressure plate I had from my 2.7 turbo. New pilot bearing and what not.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The valve cover etc was all dirty so I cleaned it all up and painted it.

Posted Image

I also cleaned up and painted some other bits to make it look more tidier.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

For the conversion I chose to use what Kerry uses, so I also got this Getrag 220 off him. This will bolt up using my e30 driveshaft and crossmember and will sit on the right angle that the m50 is on.

Posted Image

Brake booster wise, I went for a mk2 Golf booster. Got it for very cheap of VASK, Just gave it a quick clean and paint.

Posted Image

Now since the m50 was from an e36, I also needed the e34 oil pan and pickup. Have some m52 stainless manifolds to modify, front section of e36 exhaust to play with to make the exhaust work with the rest of my system (full 2.5" exhaust). Oh and can't forget my full body loom from Mike. Legend!

Posted Image

Anywho, still have the same old e30. Originally a 89 320i jap import. Then to 327i. Then to 327i turbo, which we all know didn't go down to well -_-

Had a guy I know do a full panel / paint on it inside and out for a good price. Shaved side repeaters (1 front panel was from a pre f/l e30 which was already shaved, other side not so much). Aerial hole shaved. Boot was already shaved, But picked up a new bonnet of Chris and had it shaved too lol. Personal preferance anyways, I reckon the boot looks alot cleaner shaven, the bonnet I am partial on but meh. Engine bay has had all the unecessary brackets shaved off too..

Sooo here she is, suprisingly I can't find any decent photos LOL...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Yes, It's royalblue metallic, Yes that's the same as Matty104's e30 (LOVE IT!!)

Now.... Onto the project side of things....

The standard big ass e30 brake booster and master cylinder.

Posted Image

Take that shiz out and move the master onto the mk2 brake booster. Bolts straight up. This is what Luke used with his e30 m50. Only mod is it needs a bolt or rod put in the end of the mastercylinder because the rod inside these boosters sits about an inch too far in, meaning you would push the pedal and it wouldn't even touch the master cylinder until it hits the floor. Took all of about 5 mins to find and grind a bolt down to size, stick it in there and bolt the master to the new booster.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then it's just a matter of putting the booster in place and bolting it up. Everything on the backside lines up as if it were made to fit in here...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now here was the problem I created last time with my e30 fail project, where I shorted out the loom and created a HUGE wiring disaster. Thanks to Mike (323e30), who happen to have a 4 door facelift loom with everything I needed, I was some what saved from trying to mess around with the old loom where half the things were working and then you would fix one thing and another one stops working.

So I ripped out the old loom.

Posted Image

Lay out the 'new' replacement loom (from front to rear of car), laid it out how it would sit in the car and double checked everything was there just incase I needed bits of my old loom etc. Good c*nt even labelled it for me haha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hell of a place to be feeding the loom through..

Posted Image

Posted Image

Getting there <_<

Posted Image

Posted Image

Done feeding it through..

Posted Image

Not sure why the grommet thing has another hole, Maybe it's meant to be covered with something else unelss something else fits through there??

Posted Image

Now I need to tuck all this sh*t where it belongs.. ughh..

Posted Image

Got a battery to boot conversion off of Jon, So put that through and couldn't find any pre-holes for the terminal so I drilled some where I could fit it out of the way.

Posted Image

Then cover it all with this m3 cover I got :lol:

Posted Image

mmmmmm :wub:

Posted Image

Once I've done that loom the m50 should be ready to drop in.. Am currently making the adapter loom and I'll probably get around to sitting out the body loom and testing it works this weekend.

Oh and more of whats to come...

Posted Image

Think you know where I'm going with this hehe :ph34r:

Shes pretty big job!! Good on ya for tackling that wiring yourself, must be a prick of a job.

Looking good so far mate, keep the updates coming

Good stuff John, measure twice cut once this time round ;) keep up the updates I love the color.

Fantastic write up and pic's. Keep em coming. Looking forward to the next installment!

Good stuff John, measure twice cut once this time round ;) keep up the updates I love the color.

Haha cheers, yeah definitley double checking everything this time and not rushing anything. Took me a whole day to get that loom sorted out and put back in. So far all I have done is feed it through and roughly lay everything out to where the clips are.

Looking good dude, colour came out mint, cant wait to get mine resprayed to look that mint.

Yeah it's pretty good, a few places it went abit weird. On the passenger side door just above the handle he burned through the paint when he was sanding and buffing over it after it was painted (1500 then buffed, makes the surface appear like glass instead of the orange pealy look you get from the spray gun). Sick colour though, I love it!

looking good man how much were your m3 cover bits.

It's just that last panel, I think it was like $76 shipped ex-germany through SPEEDNZ. Wasn't toooo overly bad I thought, Will look alot tidier as it will cover all the wiring continuing from the m40 loom cover into the firewall.

P/N is 51711380392

Yeah it does look abit bland being the same colour eh. I'm shadow lining around the windows etc though.

He painted my key holes too lolz ^_^

Edited by e30ftw

Great build thread. Looks like you are doing it right the first time. A project bimmersport should be proud of. ;)

might have to be another e3024v shoot

Looks like you are doing it right the first time.

haha you mean doing it right the second time. :P

nah love the car john... some nice wheels and then just slam it! :D

Was the first time right though? haha.

Will be getting some wheels for it next week. Should be pretty low to the ground too, got 5" 650lb rear springs with the ground controls. So should be low, But stiff ;)

AFAIK and if I remember right, 650 lb on an inboard spring like that isn't that much? I would have expected a much higher rated spring if you really wanted it stiff?

Yeah I used henry's flash calculations and worked the front and rear ratios. Then I talked to GC to see what they would recommend, It should be good enough for a daily driver, I don't want it to be overly bumpy and all. They said 650 would be about right for me, I'm not tracking this car or anything :)

Lil update on the looming job... Have to work today so just managed to get a lil done this morning..

Have sorted out one side, Just needs to be clipped and run the check panel loom up the pillar.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then onto the other side, 1 part runs around to the boot and splits behnd the rear seat,

Posted Image

Posted Image

comes back around and joins at the driver side pillar. Then the other part runs across the middle, to the window switches, across the middle again and to the doors for the windows, central locking etc then up to the driver pillar.

Posted Image

Then just need to plug this big in, which is for the headlight switches, hazard lights etc.

Posted Image

Rear spring size comparison :ph34r:

Posted Image

Have been waiting for this! The standard of e30s again keeps rising... will def be a beast once complete. Good stuff.

good to see your taking your time and having some patience to do it properly mate good on ya and good luck.