Sign in to follow this  
Jeff_G

NZ New E46 factory alarm query

Hey guys,

I have a NZ new 2001 E46 and was wondering if it has an alarm? I've read through a few posts and it sounds like some of the NZ cars had them installed from factory....

When I lock the car the light on the rear vision mirror flashes. (I’m led to believe it's referred to as the 'clown nose'! Ha!). I've noticed my indicators all flashing on a couple of occasions when going out to my car, as in the alarms being activated.....silently!! (Not so deterring).

When I lock the car it doesn't beep or anything like your more traditional alarms.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Hey guys,

I have a NZ new 2001 E46 and was wondering if it has an alarm? I've read through a few posts and it sounds like some of the NZ cars had them installed from factory....

When I lock the car the light on the rear vision mirror flashes. (I’m led to believe it's referred to as the 'clown nose'! Ha!). I've noticed my indicators all flashing on a couple of occasions when going out to my car, as in the alarms being activated.....silently!! (Not so deterring).

When I lock the car it doesn't beep or anything like your more traditional alarms.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

Flashing clown nose = original factory alarm fitted

Why don't you test it?

Lock and arm car when inside, then set the alarm off by opening door, bonnet or boot.

Door and Boot might be deadlocked, but bonnet should open

Note: all BMWs have immobilisers, regardless of whether the alarm is fitted or not.

i had the same thing with my car ,i tried to lock myself in and open the doors and that didn't work so i put down the window and locked the car and left it for a while and it went off

Thanks Jochen,

I just did a test, locked myself in the car, after a minute or so the clown nose flashed at a different speed and when i moved the indicators started to flash but still no alarm sound....

Anyway to activate a siren?

Jeff

Have you tried opening the door from the inside?

I prefer to not have noises that beep every time the alarm is activated or deactivated. The flashing clown nose is enough of a deterrent to the low IQ thieves lurking out there.

Hi there, I asked myself the same question not long ago. AFAIK, if your car has the flashing clown nose, it should have the alarm. Whether it has a tilt sensor installed is another story.

There should be a vent looking thing on the ceiling of your car - thats your ultrasonic motion sensor, and that only activates after 30 seconds after the alarm is armed. To test whether it works, just sit inside your car and start waving your arms after 30 secs or so.

Do you have the original 3 button keys?

Thanks everyone – still no joy!

Yes, I’ve got the original three-button key, after 30 seconds of being locked in the car the motion sensor activates and the indicators all flash however there is no siren. Is there anyway to activate one?

I can't open the doors while inside as they deadlock and locking the car with the remote and opening it with the key doesn't activate anything....

Jeff

Do you know that you can unlock the door from the inside by pulling on the handle?

First pull-unlock, second pull-open?

You probably already know this.

Hey Tony, that’s what I thought too, however the only way out of the car (after locking yourself in) is by using the remote….the handle doesn’t open the door on the 1st, 2nd or 10th attempt! Nor does the button by the transmission… Note to self, don’t lock self in car and lose the key…!

If I remember correctly, the motion sensor could be disabled by first hitting the "unlock" button, and then locking. So if you've accidentally done that, then it may not go off.

Cheers, Andrew