Sign in to follow this  
ED1RTY

When people test drive your cars

Just like to know for my own sake my rights if someone test drives my car and crashes it?

Do i get them to sign something before they drive it?

How do I go about this and ensuring I'm not left with a wreck and some guy laughing.

Any input appreciated.

Just like to know for my own sake my rights if someone test drives my car and crashes it?

Do i get them to sign something before they drive it?

How do I go about this and ensuring I'm not left with a wreck and some guy laughing.

Any input appreciated.

Copy Their Licence and make sure they're Over25? most insurance companies include other drivers over 25.

#1 Check with your insurance company

#2 Accompany them

#3 Dont let them near it if you arent convinced they have got the cash

#4 Hold their carkeys-no help if theyre in a shitter tho but then #3 wouldve kicked in.

I suspect the 'purchaser' is not liable for damage on a test drive.

#4 Hold their carkeys-no help if theyre in a shitter tho but then #3 wouldve kicked in.

Always do this, have also been left with a 1yo baby as collateral before.

also if they don't leave their keys I feel if they can't trust you, you can't trust them.

Edited by Jamez

Yeah keep test drives to the serious buyers with the $$$. They crash it they buy it.

May be wrong but my knowledge is that you are insuring the car not the driver. The arguement arises that say your car was taken and drove into a shop window, then you would be covered as the car was insured, not the driver in this hypothetical situation.

Pick up the phone and ask your insurer then post the response here as it is a good question and others would probably like to know the official answer ...

Ron is correct as far I know.

I was just checking out my policy yesterday, can't remember why and yes the car is insured not the driver.

Here is a quote from my policy, yours may differ if you're with another insurer.

We will pay for your legal liability for damage to property arising from accidents caused by your vehicle. We will extend this benefit to provide the same cover to any person who is driving your vehicle with your consent and who is not otherwise excluded from the policy cover.

When ever anyone is going to drive my car other then everyone listed on my insurance policy I call them to say who is driving my car and why. They really appreciate it and they put a note on my account so there is no confusion if something did happen.

Always do this, have also been left with a 1yo baby as collateral before.

also if they don't leave their keys I feel if they can't trust you, you can't trust them.

Would you had kept the kid if they did crash your car and couldn't pay? :P

oh and watch out for smart thieves too... they steal semi rangi cars before they book a test drive with you. bring the stolen car. and use it as collateral for the test drive. then never see your car again.

best to avoid that by insisting you be in the car when they test drive it and write down their license number leave that at home and have you hold their license while in the car just to be safe.

There was a guy on Fair Go a awhile back who had his car stolen - they drove it away and never came back. Insurance co. didn't pay out as the guy had willingly handed over the keys.

I think he got his money in the end, but only because of the bad publicity - I think the company was legally in the clear.

Go with them, and ph insurance co first - easiest solution.

ALWAYS, without exception, go with them on the test drive.

This is the rule of thumb in the motor industry.

You do this for several reasons. You don't want them thrashing your car. If you are not in the car with them then a lot of buyers tend to see what the car can do. You also control where they go and how long they go on the test drive for. I know of instances where people have allegedly taken the car to their 'mechanic' partner etc. and not returned for an hour or two.

Finally, and most importantly as a salesman, I usually close the sale on the test drive. Remember that your car is probably a lot better than the car they currently drive, (that's why they're buying a new car) so they are probably 'fizzing' over driving yours.

One little tip. When taking people on a test drive, I always take them around a residential/commercial area first, then onto the motorway. When they ask which exit to take, tell them the next one but, if they think that yours is the car they really want to buy, then tell then that they can take it further if they like. If they drive past the next off ramp, you've sold them the car.

(Letting out some insider salesman secrets here)

ALWAYS, without exception, go with them on the test drive.

This is the rule of thumb in the motor industry.

My ex and I drove six different BMW's from yards all around Christchurch. None wanted to go with us.

Even one prestigious yard didn't even ask for our keys or a look at our licences, the salesman just threw us the keys and said "See you in about half an hour".

Cheers for the advice guys. WIll ring insurance co and suss it.

The guy seems dead keen on it. Even offered me and amount to take it sight unseen, but i'd rather take him for a drive and get what i want :)

All I know is if someone test drives your car and it is involved in car crash then the person testing the car isnt liable.

A year or two ago I test drove a different E36 coupe unaccompanied by the owner and I got crashed into which caused the car to be undrivable and since it wasnt my fault so legally I wasnt liable for any of it so couldnt be forced to pay anything even though the owner tried to make me pay the $500 excess I more or less laughed in his face and said good luck with that and jumped in my car and left.

So be wary, make sure you go on the test drive etc