Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

My 1971 2002 Build

I brought this car some time ago. It sat in a friends barn until a few years ago when I finally decided to get it going again. Due to the fact it had been parked up for so long the first things I had to do were get the carbs recond, new water pump and replace all the brake hoses. The last wof it failed on a rust hole in the boot and therefore got parked up again. I have since then repaired the rust in the boot and replaced the radiator.

post-1116-1264846441.jpg

post-1116-1264846452.jpg

Due the to the age of this car parts are getting scarce. I have wanted to change the diff for a long time but have not be able to source the ratio I what. So therefore a few months ago I brought a crashed E36 318 compact as a donor car. A week ago I started to change the rear subframe for the 318ti

On the 2002 the sway bar is mounted to the subframe and on the ti its mounted to the chassis. So the mounts were cut off the ti and welded to the 2002

post-1116-1264847673.jpeg

I decided to use the e36 springs, so the 2002 spring mounts were cut off and new spring mounts were made along with some adjustable platforms.

post-1116-1264847991.jpeg

post-1116-1264848000.jpeg

post-1116-1264848008.jpeg

The E36 sub frame was about 50mm wider than the 2002, and it needed to come forward 25mm. So I remounted the front bolts and gave the sub frame some clearance. I am getting some plates made that will go from this mount to the floor pan (some extra bracing)

post-1116-1264848172.jpeg

The rear sub frame has been installed for the last time I hope. I notched out the sub frame to give the exhaust more clearance :rolleyes:

post-1116-1264848342.jpeg

post-1116-1264848353.jpeg

post-1116-1264848361.jpeg

The rear sub frame has been installed for the last time I hope.

I've heard and said that before.

Cool project, keep the updates coming.

I've heard and said that before.

Cool project, keep the updates coming.

+1 keep us in the loop

Now this is a cool build. What else is happening to it?

The next step is to remove the engine and front subframe, so as to install the E36 front end.

I have brought a 1.1 5th gearbox out of a E36 which I will pick up next time I'm in Auckland

Engine???

Keep the M10 with the side drafts or install the M44 and put on the side drafts ( to keep the old school look)

I'm kind of leaning more to the M44 B)

Do the m44 - getting the E36 box to work with the M10 would be a lot of work... maybe convince the M44 to run on the carbies to keep it a little old school.

That's awesome work on the subframe mounts - do you have better detail pics?

Edited by CamB

Do the m44 - getting the E36 box to work with the M10 would be a lot of work... maybe convince the M44 to run on the carbies to keep it a little old school.

That's awesome work on the subframe mounts - do you have better detail pics?

I think the M44 looks good being twin cam and running on carbs will just set off.

As for the subframe mounts I don't have many pictures but I will post up the couple I've got. Some are a little out of focus

In all my searching on the net I could not find anyone who has done this, so I have gone into this a little blind.

post-1116-1264916336.jpg

Edited by rot62

Mount sleeve coming up into the car- needs to cut back and welded. Plus some surface rust to attend to :unsure:

post-1116-1264916537.jpg

post-1116-1264916755.jpg

Edited by rot62

Awesome project mate, nice to see someone going totally different. Keep up the good work

m10 wont bolt up to a m44 m 42 m43 m420 gerabox etc .

different bolt spacing etc .

you could use a getrag 265 close ratio box with your m10 engine out of a e30 m3 or some e28,s like 528i m535i and e24 635csi etc

but otherwise probably better to use a m44 engine , nice torque in the 1.9L m44

m10 wont bolt up to a m44 m 42 m43 m420 gerabox etc .

different bolt spacing etc .

you could use a getrag 265 close ratio box with your m10 engine out of a e30 m3 or some e28,s like 528i m535i and e24 635csi etc

but otherwise probably better to use a m44 engine , nice torque in the 1.9L m44

Thanks for the advice :D

Edited by rot62
  • Sad 1

Those extra pics are awesome - thanks.

The closest you'll find to that around the internets is Craig (user name 2002 here) - he has an e30 subframe mounted similarly. He has no pics on bimmersport but there are some hiding on www.bmw2002faq.com (Craig's user name is tomorrowcalling there). They come up if you search for "subframe" and user name "tomorrowcalling".

By the way, apparently E9 5 stud hubs fit on a 2002 strut (same bearing size). I reckon that since you are clearly good enough at fabricating you should go for the whole e36 subframe / engine. You'll need to make new strut towers too, I think.

Edited by CamB

Very nice project mate, keen to see how it pans out.