Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

My 1971 2002 Build

Those extra pics are awesome - thanks.

The closest you'll find to that around the internets is Craig (user name 2002 here) - he has an e30 subframe mounted similarly. He has no pics on bimmersport but there are some hiding on www.bmw2002faq.com (Craig's user name is tomorrowcalling there). They come up if you search for "subframe" and user name "tomorrowcalling".

By the way, apparently E9 5 stud hubs fit on a 2002 strut (same bearing size). I reckon that since you are clearly good enough at fabricating you should go for the whole e36 subframe / engine. You'll need to make new strut towers too, I think.

I just looked it up, he had to do all the same things too :)

My thinking with using the E36 front end is that I will be getting away from the steering box.

great project!

I reckon go the M44, they are great little motors!

Very cool. Carbie m44 would look awesome.

^

^

+1 on this, will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure, cool project

Looks like you've done the diff exactly the same as I did the E30 one in my 2002, but if you're ever in the Pukekohe area you're welcome to drop in and have a look.

Carburettors on a M44 could be tricky, I think you would still need an ECU of some type to run the ignition as there's no mechanical advance.

Carburettors on a M44 could be tricky, I think you would still need an ECU of some type to run the ignition as there's no mechanical advance.

Looks like I may have that covered, apparently Link is going to be releasing a Ignition only ecu later this year. Also I might be able to lay my hands on a old LEM that was used on a bmw.

I'm in Pukekohe on the 20th Feb if that works?

Edited by rot62

Tonight I felt like I killed the car as I pulled out the M10 engine knowing it probably would ever be going back in.

Now you see it

post-1116-1265093973.jpg

I also pulled out the steering column and peddle box. These probably won't be going back in either. Years before I got this car someone had removed the brake boosters. At this point I'm thinking about using a E30 peddle box and put the booster on left of the engine bay as in the E30. I just have to find one to look at and see if I can make it work.

post-1116-1265094474.jpg

It seems a pitty, but this engine powered this car for nearly 4 decades :( I doubt if the M44 will do that

post-1116-1265094697.jpg

Edited by rot62

And so this is what I have been left to work with for the install of the E36 front end

post-1116-1265094932.jpg

BADASS! so going to watch this take shape. now only if the s14 motors were cheap enough haha. but m44 still sounds like it will fill the equation quite well. keen to see how ya mount the subframe an the booster

Looks like I may have that covered, apparently Link is going to be releasing a Ignition only ecu later this year. Also I might be able to lay my hands on a old LEM that was used on a bmw.

I'm in Pukekohe on the 20th Feb if that works?

That should work - I'll PM you with address & phone number. What are your plans for the M10?

That should work - I'll PM you with address & phone number. What are your plans for the M10?

That would be great if I can meet with you. Plans for the M10? I'm not sure as yet. It probably doesn't mean much due to all the other mods this car is getting but the engine number is the same as the chassis number.

Edited by rot62

If it were me I'd try not to use the e30 brake linkage - definately one of the worst RHD e30 design features - spongy lack-lustre brake feel.

That and the sh*t-house deadspot in the steering.

I'm guessing from this you've never driven a 2002!!!!! A good 2002 steering box is pretty bad.

I'm guessing from this you've never driven a 2002!!!!! A good 2002 steering box is pretty bad.

Sooooo True :lol:

If it were me I'd try not to use the e30 brake linkage - definately one of the worst RHD e30 design features - spongy lack-lustre brake feel.

From what I can remember of a e30 I was a little worried about the brake peddle feel

Plans for the M10? I'm not sure as yet. It probably doesn't mean much due to all the other mods this car is getting but the engine number is the same as the chassis number.

If you decide to sell it - give me a call.

If you get the master cylinder(s) right they stop fairly well without boosters. (I don't run boosters on my 2002)

If you decide to sell it - give me a call.

If you get the master cylinder(s) right they stop fairly well without boosters. (I don't run boosters on my 2002)

Yes- I've only got master cylinders in the GTR, and it stops

It just would be nice to refine the brake peddle feel even if it is a lot of extra work.

I can't get much access to the front of the E36 to start pulling the motor and sub frame out at the moment. A mate is going to come around next week with his Hi-ab to move the car and lift out the motor.

I am preparing for the worst as the car has a lot of frontal damage.

On a more positive note tonight I welded up the rear subframe sleeves where they came up through the rear floor. Then wire brushed up all the surface rust (which wasn't as bad as I first thought) and brushed on some Black Guard rust killer.

I starting putting in the rear seats out of the E36 just to see if it all would fit and its looking good at this point :)

post-1116-1265177529.jpg

Awesome... first Westy's E46/E30 and now your E36/2002. Loving the frankenstein BMW's!