Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

My 1971 2002 Build

Thats a great car Eddie and a credit to your skills. I was amazed at it's performance down at Taupo... all in all a great project with excellent results

Thats a great car Eddie and a credit to your skills. I was amazed at it's performance down at Taupo... all in all a great project with excellent results

Thanks

I think the extra time I spent measuring the Ti suspension layout and copying to the 2002 was worth it

Just needs an LSD now...... two tyres smoking looks way better than one :P

Hi Rot,

Awesome project you've got there,

I am from The netherlands and watching you for a while :rolleyes:

I am planning sort of the same thing at the moment using e30 parts.

My body is a 1970 2000 touring, and the donor a 318i e30 touring,

I am still in the stage of finding out if things work out so your topic is a real good guide for me.

I did a similar thing before, but only used a few parts, like an m42 engine and some small parts.

the end result was a mix of 70ties and 90ties.

Posted Image

Posted Image

and the new (old) touring body

Posted Image

So, Hope you like it

Edited by 16v02

Posted Image

So, Hope you like it

I like the gold. Nice to hear about your car is there a link to the build.

With my build the car being right hand drive was a problem so the old steering box and brake setup had to go.

thanks

eddie

Yes i did see the steering box and pedal solution. good job.

Here's the link, the car has been build twice in 2 year

Visit My Website

not all the pictures but a good impression.

Edited by 16v02

To view you have to sign up to that website ... (which I have done) just waiting for account activation.

edt: account was activated however got this "You are not authorised to read this forum.

"

very nice car btw just would be nice to see that build thread! :)

O :blink: sorry I didn't realize that I was logged in myself at the moment.

Well If you want I can post a few pictures here , but this is not my topic.

I haven't posted for a little while. The car is still going well. Took it to a playday at Manfield in feb. Got it a 1:30.8 out of it. Most laps were around 1:32.

A wet hillclimb last year

Posted Image

Nope, not me. My car stil has rangi as black roof, and hasnt seen a track in far too long :(. Now confined to being parked up til I can afford to race her properly.

Very cool video though, I wish id taken one when I went out there last, I do love manfeild.

There was a Kerry Fackney in E30 doing 1.26's at superlap last weekend

The car has be parked for almost a month now. I'm going through withdraw, so I finally fixed the horn and ordered some new door seals from the US

Due to the column I used being of a airbag model the horn circuit used the Clock spring, so I had made a rangi contact out of a piece of welding wire. This worked well for a little while until it started to grind its way through the brass ring on the back of the steering wheel. I picked up a contact off a E36 without an Airbag a few months back and just hadn't got around to changing it.

A non airbag horn contact

Posted Image

The contact I made from welding wire , you can see where the new contact mounts below the steering shaft

Posted Image

Succuss- no more grinding noises from the steering wheel

Posted Image

There was a Kerry Fackney in E30 doing 1.26's at superlap last weekend

Thread dig fail - only just seen this! That was me Eddie - seen you at the Taupo Bimmersport Meet since then! My E30 does 1.25 at Manfield normally.... Did Road & Track last weekend and managed 1.25 with no rear pads and completely shot rear subframe bushings.....

You must be happy with you that, that time looks pretty good to me.

I was at Manfield for superlap with the Gtr. Had no 5th gear and couldn't change down into second once the gearbox got hot. It was a bit of a wet day IIRC. Yes I've got all the excuses. ;)

How did you go at Taupo? I got a 1:56 out of the 2002 but most laps were around the 1:58. I had a mate driving as well his first time on a race track. He got down to a 2:06

Edited by rot62

what laptime did you get down to at manfield superlap in the GTR eddie?

Edited by M5V8

1:15.2

I hope to go back with all the gears and a drier track

Edited by rot62

Maybe a slot for those projects that stand out from the rest and have stood the test of time:   'Where are they now?' is a worthy category to have and where due rcognition can be given is needed,  I reckon?

One such build came out of Rotorua, and as the recipient of this amazing build, so I would take great pleasure in nominating and saluting, Eddie (nee Rot62) the inspiational builder/fabricator extraordinaire of the 1971 2002 Orange BMW. DSC09137.thumb.JPG.74e7863834915f65be81969ad42236e2.JPG

The car has spent the last nearly 8 years domiciled in the Manawatu and has nearly two log books filled with motorsport events

The previous standard M44 engine, with the original Dellorto Carbs, was removed (and transplanted in a e30), as 7 years of extensive driving on the road and intensive track events has taken its toll. It was time  for a "re-invigorated" engine ( M42 ) to be fitted along with Individual Throttle Bodies would give a re-newed surge of power when called upon.

Fast cars and fast horses have something in common,apart from sharing horse-power... was it the driver or was it the rider that makes a car or horse go fast(er)?

So arise Sir Ed, you're the man.

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

DSC00198.JPG

2.2 mb · Done

Uploaded Images

•  
  •  

DSC00198.JPG

2.2 mb · Done

•