Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

My 1971 2002 Build

Blew town this weekend so nothing got done, Did however pick up some top camber plates

post-1116-1265521052.jpg

Good news and bad news tonight.

Good news- The M44 came out tonight. After just having a quick measure up of the E36 front sub frame it should be able to be mounted in place of the old 2002 sub frame. Will just have to install new mount points. The front sub frame will be about 10mm lower than in the E36. Will check this again once the engine and gearbox are in place to see if I can move it up. The strut towers measure up the same so hopefully these will stay the same (untouched)

Bad news- Due to the E36 having been in crash, both engine mounts rubber and ali (mounts to the block) are broken on both sides, also the sub frame may be bent.

post-1116-1265609436.jpg

post-1116-1265609464.jpg

post-1116-1265609476.jpg

Edited by rot62

The E36 front struts I have were non serviceable units so these would have to be changed or upgraded. Since I already had installed koni shocks in the 2002 struts I decided to keep these and modify the E36 strut so the koni's will fit.

The original 2002 strut

post-1116-1265783268.jpg

Edited by rot62

Firstly I cut the 2002 strut at the base and then cut the E36 20mm from the top of the strut tube and removed the shock

post-1116-1265783696.jpg

The plan here is to insert the 2002 tube inside the E36 strut. The bottom of the 2002 strut has be enlarged and then machined to be a tight fit inside the E36 tube. The top of the 2002 tube will then be welded to the E36 tube and then only the tread for shock retaining nut will be left sticking out the top.

post-1116-1265784458.jpg

Edited by rot62

I have a heap of springs left over from when I was rallying. These are some 250lb springs that I will try first, but I'm leaning more to maybe 350lb.

post-1116-1265784683.jpg

Edited by rot62

The assembled shock. The adjustable platform (the threaded part) is only tacked on at this point I will make it more permanent once the car has some weight in it and then a ride height can be determined

post-1116-1265784935.jpg

Here's another thought for the M44. I was given a super charger today

Twin carbs or supercharger

post-1116-1265858716.jpg

Twin carbs or supercharger

SC is a well known mod for ~200Hp with lotsa torque. How close does the output line up over the lower half of the manifold. Could you sit the outlet over the lower half with the pulley in line? or extend the pulley out to suit?

Edited by MLM

Twin carbs will sound far more horn and in keeping with the era of the car.

Twin carbs will sound far more horn and in keeping with the era of the car.

+1

If I was to go FI, I would have stuck with the M10 and turbo'd it.

An SC'd M44 just seems a bit soft, the '02 needs a bit of rawness to it.

Stick with the carb'd M44

My 2c

Edited by E30-323ti

I took some measurements for the E36 front sub frame mounts tonight. I used a string line running the length of the car parallel to the floor plan and then used that as a base line to measure the mounting points.

Attached is a drawing of the E36 measurements.(not scale)

post-1116-1265956349.jpg

Edited by rot62

So if you were given the supercharger and are not going to use it how about passing it forward TO ME :D

Personally I would go with the twin carbs in keeping with the period of the 02

Carbs it is- But I think I will be making my own manifold. First quote back for a side draft manifold was $495 US

A bit of an update. I started machining up a plate for the base of the manifold this week. I will have to wait to get the engine in to see the angle the carbs are going to sit on before finishing it.

I met craig (a guy on this forum with a 2002) and he mentioned about using a Mega Squirt ecu for the timing on the M44. I have done some searching on the net and this looks like it could be the way to go, as they are dam cheap.

Picked up a gearbox, plus a cross member that's not bent.

I started on modifying the chassis rails on the car today to fit the E36 cross member.

I will post some pictures once this site lets me

Hi Eddie,

2002 is coming along mate.

The R32 GTR has arrived, just in the process of stripping it out.

Thats good news, What plans do you have for it first.

Jase must have his one by now.

Just a quick idea mate, would you be able to run an MSD ignition?

I'm not sure, I will look into it