Sign in to follow this  
dickhead

MRS WANTS A MGF

shes dead set on a MGF because they are "cute", I have conceded I prefer it to an mx5, but thats about as far as it goes. Any info at all would be appreciated. Any other suggestions for a convertable under or around 8k are welcome. Cheers!

shes dead set on a MGF because they are "cute", I have conceded I prefer it to an mx5, but thats about as far as it goes. Any info at all would be appreciated. Any other suggestions for a convertable under or around 8k are welcome. Cheers!

In time... that would be the worst decision youve ever made in your life. Rover based and they give heaps of trouble

brakes are known to suddenly fail, as well as fuel pumps.

Well anything could go wrong really.

Edited by Jamez

Buy an MX5... bulletproof and actually a whole lot of fun to drive (if you can put up with being called a hairdresser).

Guest Simon*

Buy an MX5... bulletproof and actually a whole lot of fun to drive (if you can put up with being called a hairdresser).

+1

Well said Marque you fashionable, groomed and well-dressed chap :D

oh man, I had suspicions they would be a bit dodgy but this sounds terrible! Cheers for the heads up anyway haha

Get an MX5, My GF has a 98 Model and its the 1.8l 6spd model, In white on a set of nice 15's.I prefer this model and it doesn't have the ugly pop up lights.

Sure they may look like a hairdressers car or whatever, But they will totally own alot of cars in terms of handling.The honestly stick to the road so well and go well for what they are.

It suprised me when we test drove it, If you don't belive me drive one.

Pass on the MGF

or a z3 with a manual 1.9L or 2,8L

Yeah, theres a real nice black e30 325i convertable on trademe, but she doesn't want it because the roof looks hard to take off haha. A newer mx5 or z3 sounds pretty good to me at the moment.

Z3 would be my pick

I rocked this for a summer, but it was a 2.8 Motorsport. Black leather etc, the roof was supremely simple to put up and down.

I think this is the best colour too

post-1835-1265774791.jpg

What happened to the Corolla? haha.

MX5... Get a Turbo'd one if it doesn't have enough grunt :D.

First car I ever imported was a 96 MGF. It was a minter but at the time I was told to replace the cam belt every 40ks as they are prone to breaking. Being 6" tall, the MGF was not for me as my head stuck out when the top was down or sit right at the back with my knees in my face when the top was up.

It drove like a TR3 used to ... rattles and very hard on the suspension - just like an English sport car should. Sold it 6 months later at a profit and never went back to them. You couldn't have a converstaion at 100km/hr easily and had leaks where the hood meet the glass in the doors.

You only buy one once ....

Next vert I imported was a Z3 2.0 and it was a huge improvement. Drive was good and suspension made it pleasant. Definately my pick for a vert.

If it comes down to budget which it usually always does, the MGF is considerably cheaper than the Z3, may be look at the E30 verts, they hold their value or the Mazda or the little pug might be an option.

What is the budget?

206cc are good, just like all small late 90's the autoboxes (euro) they arn't the best... If you get a manual one it would be a better option.

they come in a 2.0ltr and a 1.6ltr. They look really good lowered on 17's

Would be hard to beat a good mx5 tho

Edited by DRTDVL

budget is around 7-11k, and the car must be manual.

Edited by loose36