Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

XYZ Coilovers E30

found them on trademe (listing just expired so no link as yet), anyone have any comments to make about them? they seem cheaper than alternatives, do you really get what you pay for for this sort of thing? my car is exclusively street spec/DD at the moment, with maybe a few track days in the future, so i dont need to drop 10k on suspension.

My rear shocks are blown and the fronts arent far off it either so no point spending on an inferior product. Also B'Days coming up :D

BC's are also Taiwanese, and I have used them in several of my cars with no problems. Hell, I even used 2nd hand ones in my S14 and they took a beating.

I haven’t heard of anyone in NZ using XYZ, but their website seems to suggest they follow ISO 9001 which means they at least have some form of quality control.

From what I remember GC and IE are around the 3k mark. (someone chime in here)

So I guess your budget will really determine what works for you.

Don’t be put off by the fanboys. Make sure the kit is complete with C spanners and adjusters and you'll be fine. Contrary to what people believe you can actually build a car that’s fun and cheap!

PS - Remember to budget installation (If they need to be welded - best to speak with certifier prior) and the appropriate certification.

(hides and waits for rage)

Fair call, I was thinking d2's were also Taiwanese. But BC have way better rep, unlike d2's.

Ground controls do infact cost close to the $3000 after shipping, then GST once they get in the country, then welding install. All adds up very fast..

Fair call, I was thinking d2's were also Taiwanese. But BC have way better rep, unlike d2's.

Ground controls do infact cost close to the $3000 after shipping, then GST once they get in the country, then welding install. All adds up very fast..

For sure dude. I'd personally still stray away from D2's if buying 2nd hand, going by friends experiences the adjusters break and the original design was weak. Had a friend's S14 snap the main tube at puke (back in '06)

You also have to remember that they are deisgned for a purpose. D2's were (are) not designed for track use. They are designed as a street application, but primarily got a bad rep from people using them for drifting on the track.

For street use most of the Taiwanese kits will be fine. As Matt said just look for the ones that have some form of quality control such as ISO9001 or even better ISO9002.

At the end of the day it comes down to your budget, and what you want to use your vehicle for.

You also have to remember that they are deisgned for a purpose. D2's were (are) not designed for track use. They are designed as a street application, but primarily got a bad rep from people using them for drifting on the track.

Well said.

I was thinking about this the other day. The main issue (I think) with cheap coilover kits is the damping is a bit shithaus. Can you get the specs of the XYZ shock insert? Maybe replace it with koni, et al damper matched to your spring rate?

And yes my GC's were circa $3k+ all up.

I do have to ask this for a road car...

Why do you want coilovers? Do you want to play with your ride height? Or are you just looking to upgrade your suspension?

If it's just upgraded suspension look for some decent adjustable damper shocks, and some decent springs. Then you don't need a cert or a wheel alignment every time you adjust your suspension.

For street use most of the Taiwanese kits will be fine. As Matt said just look for the ones that have some form of quality control such as ISO9001 or even better ISO9002.

That ISO standard, does not guarantee a quality component it just ensures quality control processes are adhered to in the manufacture.

Ie If is crap part due to design or materials it will be consistently crap.

Are there other automotive standards to look for? I have seen TUV, DOT approved etc

TUV is a european standard = i know with wheels the TUV spec wheels are much much heavier than the jap/asia spec wheels.

I actually went and talked to Evan at Speedfactor about these very coil overs a while ago. He is a very knowledgable guy, and I asked him specifically about the quality and after sale support for the XYZ coil overs. He said he can tailor the spring rates to suit you (from memory), and that they use XYZ coil overs in their SS2000 class Civic with good results. When I pressed him about the quality, he said he was impressed by it.

$1300 from Speedfactor.

Start with some KONI damper adjustable shocks, they might seem expensive just for the shocks but at least you know you are getting something really high quality with damping adjustment you can rely on.

Street car or track car, if the damping is a bit willy nilly it wont ever feel right.

and if you need coil over style adjustment buy the rest of the GC kit later on as you can afford it

I had Koni's & eibachs in my old E30 and it drove amazingly well

$1300 for some complete coil overs might seem like a good deal but the koni's really are an investment as they can be used as part of the GC kit at a later date.

can you tell I'm a fan of Koni ?

My mate has some D2's in his subaru and I have to admit they actually arn't too bad at all but his were quite new and I still don't trust their longevity

Yep, at the current exchange rate the GC kit cost me $2500 odd. Then freight, then GST and installation

Im not really looking for coilovers as such. im looking for an upgrade to what i have as i need to replace all four shocks. They just caught my eye because they were cheapish. Certification doesnt really bother me as the car is going to need to be cert-ed for the engine swap anyway so they can do it all at once.

hmmmm H&R....

I think it would be best to go with the H&R's

+1 you know what you are getting

Start with some KONI damper adjustable shocks, they might seem expensive just for the shocks but at least you know you are getting something really high quality with damping adjustment you can rely on.

I had Koni's & eibachs in my old E30 and it drove amazingly well

I have this set up and totally agree. If the race series E30's use Koni Adjustables they can't be bad shocks, I think mine are fantastic, the best money I have spent on the car.

IMO buy Mattzy's H+R set up on trade me, I dare anyone to tell me it's not a bargain.

Edited by Forrest

Buy Mattzy's set...

Proven setup > Unknown XYZ coils

Plus is cheaper :D

as long as its still there on thursday!

Buy the H&Rs.

$1300 for some complete coil overs might seem like a good deal but the koni's really are an investment as they can be used as part of the GC kit at a later date.

This isn't quite right - the Koni's used in the GC kit are special shorter ones (I expect they're for something else, but revalved to suit an E30's weight etc). As they're shorter, you can shorten the struts and still have the springs captive.