Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Flashing ECU

Have sorted out what i need to do for the EWS and i really have no option other than getting the ECU flashed to get rid of the EWS bs.

Before someone says it, yes i could switch to OBD1. no im not going to so dont suggest it.

Looking for a shop preferably in wellington to do it, but anywhere is fine. will BMW do it?

You cant flash out EWS...you have to either run with EWS with your Siemens control unit or change everything... thats what I was telling you before... you havent researched your project properly. Others have mentioned research, research, research on another forum as well. I know how you can do it... but you don't want my advice.. others may be able to help you

hmmmm god this is confusing. have read on heaps of different threads on different forums and told by people on this very forum and they are all saying you can...

EWS switches the Siemens DME on... without key recognition (EWS) it won't switch "ON". It's quite simple to do. The person who sold you the motor, gave you everything to do it. He gave you a key, EWS control unit, wiring and the same DME out of the car the motor came out of. You just havent found the right info. You can't flash it to work. Using different EWS control units & different DME's means you have to realign with an appropriate scanner... this is quite simple to do as well.

Edited by *Glenn*

EWS switches the Siemens DME on... without key recognition (EWS) it won't switch "ON". It's quite simple to do. The person who sold you the motor, gave you everything to do it. You just havent found the right info. You can't flash it to work.

yeah i know. The chip from the key wasnt there though which he says was in there. it must have either fallen out of the package or i accidentally threw it away in the tape or something. i know how to do all that jazz IF i had the chip. But a key/chip from BMW is a month ex-germany aparently, and then i have to get the car to them to get them to sync it to the car. when you take time, hireage of a trailer, the fact i dont have a car with a tow bar etc etc, thats an option i dont want to take

So if all these people have done it then, are you saying there is two types of DME then? Siemans and something else? have not read this but this MUST be how they do it then :S

Edited by ethrty320

Just OBDI swap it and DONE

I wish there was a fingers emoticon like on BF haha. but nah cheaper to stay with OBD2 for now.

If you have lost the micro chip... buy another EWS control unit & key with micro chip out of the same car. Wire it up properly and have EWS & DME realigned... simple

mm thats the backup plan. would rather reprogram the ECU and be done with it, hence this thread.

All this drama for 1 more HP than a m50b25 :rolleyes:

ftmfw :D

mm thats the backup plan. would rather reprogram the ECU and be done with it, hence this thread.

Your not listening/watching... you can't reprogramme the DME to run without EWS... you have to use it or completely change the whole operating system. End of story... no ifs or buts

Your not listening/watching... you can't reprogramme the DME to run without EWS... you have to use it or completely change the whole operating system. End of story... no ifs or buts

oh dont get me wrong i do hear what your saying. im just confused why virtually everyone (edit: strike that. Every single person) i have talked to/PMd/read in thier build threads says you can, and then now your saying that i cant.

I got told told off for not doing research, i spend almost every night for the past couple of weeks looking and sifting through the BS, only to get told off for doing research :wacko: you cant win here

Edited by ethrty320

If the guys in the States say they can flash it out, then send it there and have it done.

If the guys in the States say they can flash it out, then send it there and have it done.

Have disregarded the states forums for the most part in case they are different. Thanks for your suggestion though :P

You will also need to determine whether its EWS I or EWS II if your going to get another EWS control unit and key

You will also need to determine whether its EWS I or EWS II if your going to get another EWS control unit and key

would say its EWS2 as its a '96 also iirc EWS1 was bare bones basic and didnt even have the transponder in the key

This is going nowhere...I'll keep out of it... obviously others know better

4 options, (realisticly speaking. without going mad on money.)

1, find the chip and put it back in the key.

2, get a new key, ews module and pcm all from the same vehicle.

3, go obd1

4, go link

IF you can get the pcm reflashed to run without ews it will probably cost more than a link....

Trust me ive done this conversion.

Edited by sydwayz e30

4 options, (realisticly speaking. without going mad on money.)

1, find the chip and put it back in the key.

2, get a new key, ews module and pcm all from the same vehicle.

3, go obd1

4, go link

IF you can get the pcm reflashed to run without ews it will probably cost more than a link....

Trust me ive done this conversion.

Thanks mate :)

Andrew,

as mentioned earlier

I've got a 328i with Ews complete and also another car with obd1

this is by far an easier option

call me if you are interested

Andrew,

as mentioned earlier

I've got a 328i with Ews complete and also another car with obd1

this is by far an easier option

call me if you are interested

Will be calling BMW tomorrow first to check prices of keys, and if they can sync it without it being wired into the car. if they cant or its going to cost an arm a leg and my first born then i will be calling you and possibly coming out tomorrow if thats okay? Hopefully you still havent removed it yet *fingers crossed* would be good to see how its set up.

I dunno what ECU you have, but here is an EWS delete chip.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detai..._ID=413%20D-EWS

Also try TRM, they do alot of custom ECU tuneing

. http://www.racersmarket.net/index.php?page...1&Itemid=93

Thanks for the links mate! would bet my life savings the first wont work though its for Bosch, and the second is probably the same. they seem to only have M/S50 in thier catalouge too (not that spent much time looking). Either case shipping from the US wont be worth it.

Thanks all the same :)

simple fix give bmw the chassis number on your ecu, they can order you a key either a service key for about $170 or multifunction key for arround $300 and badaboom you have your set ready to go .

simple fix give bmw the chassis number on your ecu, they can order you a key either a service key for about $170 or multifunction key for arround $300 and badaboom you have your set ready to go .

thats exactly what i was going to ask them tomorrow! Have you any idea on the turnaround time on one of these? like how long it takes to get?