Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Flashing ECU

7 days usualy

E: i will just add this, you may find the ecu will go into limp mode if you manage to get it going. been there on my colleagues car.EWS is a pain in the ass. good luck

Edited by kerry

Follow glenns instructions to the letter and you will be fine. Have just gone through this on the s50.

what did you end up doing?

what did you end up doing?

+1 he wont help me

Rang BMW and the key is suddenly loking like a more expensive option. 210 + GST + Shipping from germany. With the price of the EWS crap from another car its looking more economical to go for an OBD1 conversion which i dont really want to have to do at this stage.

If anyone has a COMPLETE OBD1 conversion or a siezed or otherwise M50 PM me your price.

you will need non vanos cam aswell as obd1.

Sell the M52 buy a early M50 motor IMO.

What are the 'real' power/torque gains of a M52 to a M50? Aside from having a sweet 2.8 E30? I guarantee it doesn't justify the 3x price tag to get it running than a M50 would. I would do the above unless all you can factor a Link or similar into your budget.

I know of a few people getting M50's in the car and running for $1500 ish. Looks like all the dicking around with these wanky chips and computers could be money used on something that is far more likely to go first pop.

Measure twice, cut once.

My $0.02.

Edited by Forrest

^ I agree. Get an m50 NV. Such a piss easy swap.

If you ever went to boost later on the NV motors are better in that area too.

Edited by e30ftw

Find a cheaper dealer. My spare key was less than that.

+1 he wont help me

I will help you...if you pull your head in.... and listen/watch ... without taking constructive critisism as a personal attack

Sell the M52 buy a early M50 motor IMO.

What are the 'real' power/torque gains of a M52 to a M50? Aside from having a sweet 2.8 E30? I guarantee it doesn't justify the 3x price tag to get it running than a M50 would. I would do the above unless all you can factor a Link or similar into your budget.

I know of a few people getting M50's in the car and running for $1500 ish. Looks like all the dicking around with these wanky chips and computers could be money used on something that is far more likely to go first pop.

Measure twice, cut once.

My $0.02.

Trust me i have considered selling it for an M50, but i enjoy getting into projects that are over my head to start with and pulling them off and then being able to look back and being impressed.

Im pretty sick and tired of researching the whole how to get EWS working, and then being told that that wont work and then being told the 'real' way, only to be told that doesnt work too. The only consistant advice seems to be the OBD1 conversion option, which, with the prices of a new EWS set, or a new key, is suddenly a more attractive option than originally thought, especially with the hp gain i will get for my investment, unlike the other two.

I REALLY wish i hadnt gone to Auckland in January, or my car wouldnt have crapped out, and id be able to get this research done before i started, and it would be a lot smoother swap. But then again.. it was Muse and i still cant believe i saw them haha

+1 he wont help me

Rang BMW and the key is suddenly loking like a more expensive option. 210 + GST + Shipping from germany. With the price of the EWS crap from another car its looking more economical to go for an OBD1 conversion which i dont really want to have to do at this stage.

If anyone has a COMPLETE OBD1 conversion or a siezed or otherwise M50 PM me your price.

OBD1 does not support a M52B28 engine... M52B28 did not come out with OBD1 control systems. OBD1 is also Bosch...not Siemens

I will help you...if you pull your head in.... and listen/watch ... without taking constructive critisism as a personal attack

i have been making a special effort ever since our little episode on my build thread

You can get all the obd1 sensors and bits and run it with obd1 and non vanos cams.

OBD1 does not support a M52B28 engine... M52B28 did not come out with OBD1 control systems. OBD1 is also Bosch...not Siemens

I know they didnt come out with it, and am aware that i need to change other stuff too. but please dont tell me there goes my last life line i currently know of

You can get all the obd1 sensors and bits and run it with obd1 and non vanos cams.

^^Thats what i though..

If you have lost the micro chip... buy another EWS control unit & key with micro chip out of the same car. Wire it up properly and have EWS & DME realigned... simple

^^^Here is your awnser ...

(youll also need the anntenna reciever wire)

Supplier: Ring Ray @ hell BM (0212HELLBM).. he should be able to sort you out.

OBD1 with the expence of changing cams etc... will not make a M52B28 perform properly without going to a MAP system or link.... and I did tell you earlier on... your budget is going to be blown.... well blown

^^^Here is your awnser ...

(youll also need the anntenna reciever wire)

Supplier: Ring Ray @ hell BM (0212HELLBM).. he should be able to sort you out.

Too many other people throwing their 2c in Josh without knowing what they are talking about... this is not an E30... although its going into an E30... and I'd also want to be keeping diagnostic ability... which can also be done... if its done correctly

Edited by *Glenn*

I have a supplier in Wellington who can sort me out with a full replacement EWS system, or a full OBD1 conversion. i just need to decide what to get.

I have a supplier in Wellington who can sort me out with a full replacement EWS system

That is the cheapest direction... however you will need to get DME & EWS realigned with an appropriate scanner/recoder

That is the cheapest direction... however you will need to get DME & EWS realigned with an appropriate scanner/recoder

Not if i get the ECU/DME from the car as well though correct? the engine is identical to mine.

i got a spare basic ews key in for my 328i 1996 cost about $140 i think .

i got a spare basic ews key in for my 328i 1996 cost about $140 i think .

+1

Got mine when I bought my car, was about the same. Not sure if it would be as easy as the remote key to get the chip out though, would have to destroy the key to get it (if you can't use the key as a whole?).

Not if i get the ECU/DME from the car as well though correct? the engine is identical to mine.

Not if its auto.. easier (better) to stick with yours and realign

+1

Got mine when I bought my car, was about the same. Not sure if it would be as easy as the remote key to get the chip out though, would have to destroy the key to get it (if you can't use the key as a whole?).

no they just pop apart , use small screw driver to pop in half