Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

Offset

Hi guys i'm looking at some 17's on TM but have no idea on the whole offset thing :unsure: Can anyone please give me a quick explanation on the whole 5 x 120 etc

Cheers

5x120 is the stud pattern. 5 is obviously the number of studs or bolt holes and the 120 is the diameter of the studs (mm) as in the picture below.

Posted ImagePosted Image

For example e30 is 4x100, 4 lug holes and a diameter of 100mm

The offset is the distance from the mounting face to the centerline of the wheel (measured in mm).

Posted Image

Zero offset means the mounting face is in line with the centerline of the wheel. Positive means the mounting face is towards the outside of the wheel. Negitive is the opposite, mounting face towards the inside of the wheel.

Higher positive offsets are generally found on front wheel drive cars. Negitive offsets are generally associated with large amounts of dish (with a large width).

BMW's run positive offsets. E28, E30, E34, E38, E39 etc (The majority of the BMW range) run offsets in the range of 15-25 running normal factory widths. The E36 chassis (E36/Z3), E46 (non M3), E53, E70, E8X, E9X all run higher offsets in the range of 35-45 running factory widths.

The E21 and the E30 are the only E code bimmers that run 4 stud. The rest of the range runs 5x120.

As the wheels get wider the offset you will need for the car will change as if you increase the width but keep the same offset the wheel will get wider evenly on both sides and may either hit the strut or the guard. Generally as you get wider you would want to lower the offset as you have more room to work under the guards than towards the strut.

Hope that helps.

• Like 2

Nice explanation Nick. Was reading through to see if there was anything to add, but for a n00b guide it pretty much covers it. Stickied.

Cheers Graham. Yea, pretty simple but it covers the main fitment ideas with some BMW reference.

And it was late at night so reading it now it seems ok!

Hey guys here's another handy site for PCD's and offsets;

http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

whats the max offset that would fit in the rear of an e46.. looking at 19s 9.5s at the rear wanting max offset with lil work done probs just roll guards..would 20p fit?

-38 for normal fitment tires.

going illegal you'll get -20 to fit.

I've had 24p on the rears for 19x9.5 and tire size was 235/35/19 which was just the legal limit for stretch and it rubbed even with pumped guards+slight flare.

At the moment I have 19x9.5 38p and 265/30/19 and its fine with no rubbing but its on the borderline of clearance.

I would say 30p would be a safe option if you want the low offset look + legal tires and a little stretch and no rubbing!

Edited by Yongxi

Hey guys, fairly new to the wheel and offset topics, would a 18 x 9.5 et35 rear fit my e46 sedan without rubbing?

Cheers

I'm running 19x9.5 35 offset with 245,35s on my touring and guard wise it's pretty good for clearance with just a roll. Running jamex superlows

I'm running 19x9.5 35 offset with 245,35s on my touring and guard wise it's pretty good for clearance with just a roll. Running jamex superlows

Cool, thanks mate, so no to little rubbing im guessing?

I don't want any rubbing but want a nice concave wheel. thinking about APEX Arc 8s