Sign in to follow this  
Vent

Front and/or rear strut braces

Would the M10 cause any firment problems? I'm keen for a sparco one if they the write price. Or we could try and organise a shop to make up 10 or so? Is there anything special about a piece of pipe with some brackets on the end?

Need to have brackets on the end of the pipe, that can "wind" out... so you can put a bit of tension on it, pushing top of shocks out just a fraction..

Not AS MUCH use having a strut brace that just sits in place, with no tension.

I'm assuming RD is racing dynamics.

Yup, bang on Carl.
Where from Grant, and how much?
I got mine second hand, and paid the princely sum of $50 for it.

However new they are US$229.00, and to get one landed here you would be looking at somewhere in the vicinity of NZ $400.00.

Cheers

post-12-1107895784.jpg

RD are $200 to BMW club members.

what's FR?

FR = Front engine Rear wheel drive

MR= mid engine rear wheel drive (NSX MR2 etc) AKA midship

FF= front engine front wheel drive

RR= rear engine

and 4WD

RD are $200 to BMW club members.

Are you taking orders? :blush:

:)

Is there a Racing Dynamics distributor in NZ, if so who? (Is it the BMW Dealers?)

Cheers

They are $250 if i am taking orders. :P

I read it in the BMW club newsletter last night. I am pretty sure $200.

I will get the details later.

They are $250 if i am taking orders.  :P

I read it in the BMW club newsletter last night. I am pretty sure $200.

I will get the details later.

Thats strange, I have all of the last 3 years 'Dixi' magazines (the BMW Club Newsletter) sitting on my desk (I got copies of them all to make sure that the Club library has them all) and I can't find any mention of Racing Dynamics strut braces for sale anywhere in any of them.

You must have your wires crossed.

It would seem strange to be able to buy them in NZ at about 1/2 of the price tha you can buy them in the USA.

Cheers

*sigh*

ok i will prove you wrong.

As I said not 100% sure they are $200, but definately $2xx

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

Guest Andrew

Need to have brackets on the end of the pipe, that can "wind" out... so you can put a bit of tension on it, pushing top of shocks out just a fraction..

When your driving in a straight line the bar would be under tension anyhow - and cornering puts the towers under compression. You just need a bar that fits - not an adjustable one.

*sigh*

ok i will prove you wrong.

As I said not 100% sure they are $200, but definately $2xx

:drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk: :drunk:

I await to be proved worng with baited breath.

Cheers

Strut bars are added to cars (racing, performance, road) to stop strut towers from moving around under all driving conditions. Any movement what so ever causes a change in suspension geometry which is undesireable to move car enthusist.

Next time you put your car on the whell alignment machine get the guy to pull down on your front/rear cross member and watch the figures on the screen change from your desired settings. The same in true when the strut towers move. 2mm movement = angle change. The factory only spot welds the car together and after 20+ years of riding bumps, hitting pot holes etc the chassis becomes 'loose' and moves around alot easier. by adding strut bars or seam welding vital suspension pick up points this can be reduced or eliminated. Driving around town at 50 km/h will result in very little if any noticable difference but when you get up to speed on the open road and start driving the car around corners with out lifting off you will notice a difference. On the track the difference is alot more apparent.

Carl is right on one hand by saying there is no difference but his statement should have been worded to say little difference at posted road speeds.

Vent is also correct in saying that he noticed a difference but this would have been at speed while attacking a corner.

The long and short of it is - strut bars help, but a cage tied to the suspension points is better. Fortunately a strut bar is cheap and easier to fit and there is no need for a cert or MANZ authority card. You can put it on or take it off when/where every you want. Adjustable bars are better as the slight preload helps put the towers back to standard positions but recommended to be added while on the wheel alignment machine. You will be stunned while watching the figures move while you preload it up.

I would recommend a front bar for sure but back bar is not overly as important as the suspension loads are not transferred to the shock mount as much as the front. 95-99% of the load is found on the rear spring platforms and subframe.

It is easy to make an adjustable bar for the front, max cost $100 for parts, cutting top plate, drilling and welding.

Edited by smokenbaby

Partial mistake.

It was A RD strut Brace for sale for $200. ;););)

Sorry Grant

post-12-1107942991.jpg

Partial mistake.

It was A RD strut Brace for sale for $200. ;););)

Sorry Grant

No worries, Tim (Bumpstop325) bought that one ages ago and it kept being advertised.

Just as well the club has a decent webmaster now, and things are only kept on the for sale section for the right amount of time.

Cheers

I've just been talking to Brendon at FBI Performance in Avondale. He used to have the E36 strut braces and will let me know when he gets them back in stock.

The one's for Hondas are $100 - $120.

Will keep you posted.

I'm keen for Glenn's option of ordering the 1pc bits from the US, perhaps just us Welly guys could do a group buy??? (Glenn, Dan, Me, Ian...)

It is easy to make an adjustable bar for the front, max cost $100 for parts, cutting top plate, drilling and welding.

Carl, why go to that expense, when you can just get them made here?

All we need is a piece of solid alloy/steel between the top of the struts.. ;)

Smokin is onto it.. i believe..

Carl, why go to that expense, when you can just get them made here?

All we need is a piece of solid alloy/steel between the top of the struts.. ;)

Smokin is onto it.. i believe..

If you can find someone with the tools and time then sweet but you'll be waiting for eternity I bet cause no ones going to do it for you and if they did it wont be with free labour. Custom jobs are never as good as professional jobs, period. Edited by ///Carl

I've just been talking to Brendon at FBI Performance in Avondale. He used to have the E36 strut braces and will let me know when he gets them back in stock.

The one's for Hondas are $100 - $120.

Will keep you posted.

Hopefully E36 ones are quite cheap too

When your driving in a straight line the bar would be under tension anyhow - and cornering puts the towers under compression. You just need a bar that fits - not an adjustable one.
Looks like we just need a bar that fits....

You can pay $300ish for a piece of metal that will do the same thing as a $100 piece if you want Carl.. :)

Seems some of us are on a lower budget, and prefer to shop around for good deals..

Granted, i paid $400 a pop for the ones on my skyline, did a great job.. but the $115 one on my vtec prelude prior to skyline was just as good..

Shrug, each to their own..

I'm keen for Glenn's option of ordering the 1pc bits from the US, perhaps just us Welly guys could do a group buy??? (Glenn, Dan, Me, Ian...)

I'll be keen as well.. count me in.

yeah its real good aye.....great for europlates and all that shizz