Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

Need your help

BBS RS003's, lock it in Eddy!

Set acquired, bits being ordered, colours being decided.

The plan

- Gold bolts

- 2.5" polished rear lips

- 1" polished front lips

- polished aluminium half-hex caps

- Black/Gold 3D BBS badges

Suggestions for mesh color?

Thinking something like this...

post-1976-1316608895.jpg

Edited by crazyarab

Been a while but finally have some updates.

The other day my mate (an auto electrician) convinced me to get a proper alarm system into the old V8. He hooked it up with tilt sensors, immobilizer etc etc so now I feel much safer about letting the RS's out of my bedroom :P

Of course, there is still plenty of work needed before I can fit them on but here is where I am so far:

post-1976-1337256175.gif

post-1976-1337256182.gif

post-1976-1337256187.gif

Split rims, sand blasted centers, polished old lips.

post-1976-1337256196.gif

post-1976-1337256201.gif

Next I need to get the centers painted (still thinking I'll go with pearl white) and re-assembled.

Mmmmmmmm Sparkly! Looks nice - Way better with the lip on the outside too!

RS = Man jewellery.

Amen brother. It's actually the analogy I used to justify my madness to mum, sis etc.

Amen brother. It's actually the analogy I used to justify my madness to mum, sis etc.

Looking really good but wait until you find uses for them around the house (the wheels that is), currently I have one in the shed being used as a cutting block and two others as the base for a coffee table.

Have you found a use for the old center caps/hex nuts? Wouldn't mind buying two of them back for my coffee table.

Lastly, I know its been months since I said I would get that BBS spanner but I will try find it in the coming weeks, I know it will be somewhere in my stockpile of rare stuff.

YES.

That finish is frickin sweet, must have taken your time doing those??

I've never done a set that well myself (RS' were done professionally)...What steps did you take?

Looking really good but wait until you find uses for them around the house (the wheels that is), currently I have one in the shed being used as a cutting block and two others as the base for a coffee table.

Have you found a use for the old center caps/hex nuts? Wouldn't mind buying two of them back for my coffee table.

Lastly, I know its been months since I said I would get that BBS spanner but I will try find it in the coming weeks, I know it will be somewhere in my stockpile of rare stuff.

Sweet man, definitely would be handy to get that HEX spanner. I'm probably going to polish up the original hexes and use them on the car for daily use (don't want the half hexes to get stolen).

YES.

That finish is frickin sweet, must have taken your time doing those??

I've never done a set that well myself (RS' were done professionally)...What steps did you take?

Yeh, its come up decent ay (still probably could use another round of sand and polish though if I want it PERFECT).

It's a LONG process which took nearly 4 hours last night.

Used 3 grades of sandpaper: 320, 400 & 1000 starting with 320 to remove clear coat and working my way down.

Once I was happy with the 1000 level sand I took to it with a buffing machine and finally a few rub downs with autosol.

To be perfectly honest if I wasn't enjoying myself I would have just saved the hassle and done it professionally as it's not THAT expensive. $70 a lip is far cheaper than the time and effort it took me to do this!!

lol now that I'm an expert polisher, I took to the original hex caps.. thinking to go staggered in every way! (half-hex front, full-hex rear).

P.s. sandpaper I'm using is waterproof and I dip it in soapy water makes it much easier to get the finish right.

post-1976-1337482944.jpg

post-1976-1337482949.jpg

Decided to do everything DIY so gave painting the centers a crack...

Prepsol + Etch spray + enamel white rattle can + lots of hours in a badly ventilated workshop with no mask = buzzy high and a splitting headache :(.. notice how I'm buggered and on the floor lol

post-1976-1337614721.jpg

On the bright side here is the final product.

post-1976-1337614727.jpg

Feel free to comment on the colour choice (I'm a bit 50/50 at this stage but will wait till I test fit it onto the car before I make up my mind).

My gut feeling is the white is too 'cold' / bright, think it needs more of a creamy white maybe even a BMW white to set off the gold better.

Edited by crazyarab

Dayyym.

Looks pro.

and 500% more personal satisfaction.

Finally complete...

Ended up going with Alpine Weis white and I'm very happy with how it came up!

Any suggestions for rubber?

Final widths 16x8.5 rears and 16x7 fronts

post-1976-1363571472.jpg

White is going to suit the car perfectly. Fantastic choice.

Are you going to have to run stretch to fit these on? Or are you going to run the biggest size you can fit?

Woah epic. Dang that's going to look good! Run a bit of stretch I reckon.

White is going to suit the car perfectly. Fantastic choice.

Are you going to have to run stretch to fit these on? Or are you going to run the biggest size you can fit?

Yeh, I think white and metallic blue should work well. Probably will need to run a bit of stretch, we'll see!