Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ari Gold

Bar & Plate vs. Tube & Fin

That's a hotly debated topic (terrible pun). There's benefits to both and then supposedly material difference in the performance between cheapy (Trademe) and quality bar and plate (edit - you don't really get cheap tube and fin). Heaps of info on Google, but its somewhat conflicting.

I've got a trademe one - biggest I could fit (only 180x550x65 from memory). I reckon it'll be fine.

Edited by CamB

tube & fin flows better, although less cooling , bar and plate, the opposite - to put it bluntly. tube and fin probly best for track racing .

that link seems to be full of bull.. but i may be wrong.

static pressure drop is a measure of intercooler efficiency. the cooler the air, the lower the pressure? or do the laws of thermodynamics not apply here?

this is why you run your wastegate reference line from the intake manifold.. dont you?

also, with a turbo putting out 300hp worth of air, the extra couple of litres to fill the intercooler is like 0.1 sec lag or less.. i have driven in a honda city turbo with a 600x300x100 in tercooler an d lag was not noticeably higher than stock

mind you that car had no exhaust off the back of the turbo, so it dispelled a lot of myths for me (backpressure etc)

Edited by crshbndct

Any setup ive done over the years i realy didnt care what it was tube or bar i was interested in the cfm rating and presure drop and size doesnt mean alot.

Whatever you pick the cooling media is the same which is air temp passing over it, im a big fan of water/air.

Air/air is normaly good for 50-65% eff and water/air 70-90% depending on the cooling media used eg: water/alcohol/ etc.