Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

540iA -> 540iM + rear subframe bushes

Yes, you read the title correctly. I am converting my 540i automatic to 6 speed manual! (with the help of some onto it mates)

Sure, it's no 540iS, but considering the rarity and price they fetch I figured i'd do second best.

I'm not good at taking photos, nor am I good at show casing what I'm doing...but figured i'd do my best and show you guys how i'm getting along.

post-2030-1269244455.jpg

First the exhaust comes off (it's not how I wanted as I stuffed up muffler choice and ended up doing this...)

post-2030-1269244374.jpg

Driveshaft removed

post-2030-1269244381.jpg

Have had the powerflex bushes for AGES and never got around to installing them. Bought the trailing arm bushes from AKG Motorsport.

post-2030-1269244447.jpg

Rear subframe out and trailing arms removed

post-2030-1269244389.jpg

post-2030-1269244348.jpg

post-2030-1269244359.jpg

post-2030-1269244367.jpg

Diff detached from rear subframe. The subframe and trailing arms are currently with my mate who is pressing the old ones out at his work.

post-2030-1269244439.jpg

Picture of the beast of an auto trans soon to be removed

post-2030-1269244418.jpg

Crappy as photo...but she's tight!

post-2030-1269244424.jpg

Automatic shifter/trim removed

post-2030-1269244432.jpg

And this weekend all going well will have the auto trans out :) I have read the difference in weight between a 6speed 540i and the auto version is about 100kg!

Cheers,

Ian :D

Good stuff mate. Hope you have strong arms to hold that trans up when it comes down!

Awesome Ian.

If I kept my 540i I would have done what you are doing.

My rear sub frame bushes where STUFFED.

Aside from that though, fantastic plan to do the manual conversion!

Are you using a genuine BMW bell housing and gearbox? Any ideas of the total cost..

Yuss, this is going to be one of my favourites!

The inevitable question - where'd you get the manual box from?

Win as Ian.

Good to see your keeping the Calypsorot love alive on here.

Genuine getrag 420g from an e34 from the states.

For the box and most of the accompanying bits and bobs - a little over USD$1k.

Shipping/customs....i'll let you know in 2weeks haha. That's when it's all meant to arrive. Figured i'd get some of the dismantling/rear sorted first.

The standard dualmass flywheel is coming with the box. But I will almost definitely be converting to singlemass and getting a new clutch made to fit (pricey, but i've got a setup in the pipeline ready just awaiting dualmass to confirm fitment).

Cheers for the comments guys.

Nathan - from a smacked up 540i to manual m60? my how things have changed :P

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

I imagine this will be awesome, good luck with the rest of it :)

Nathan - from a smacked up 540i to manual m60? my how things have changed :P

The better option would have been me not stacking my calypso e30, waiting till you crashed the 540i, I buy the motor off you + manual box = best of both worlds :P

Guest Simon*

Great stuff Ian!

Gearbox price is very good I reckon - a lot less shipped than I would have expected. Great project :)

Ian, You make me want to keep my 540.

Are you keeping the stock 2.93 diff, or are you swapping out to 3.15/3.45?

Good news Ian that box is sourced/shipped, should liven the old girl up.(didn't realise such a massive weight diff, never looked it up) Bring in a few extra to sell?

Sam - I will be keeping the 2.93 LSD to start with and look to change the ratio later if I'm not happy with it. I don't think it will be that bad. Based on what i've read the ones in the states received 2.81 open diffs so i'd think 2.93 should go ok

Boris - I would, but unfortunately do not have the capital to bring over any at this point in time (i'm pretty sure it would be a viable investment if you can wait for them to sell).

Simon - will probably be in touch for more info about your clutch setup if mine falls through, cheers!

And the monstrous trans is out. Boy is she a heavy bitch!

post-2030-1269726160.jpg

post-2030-1269726171.jpg

The clearance between the exhaust manifold and gearbox when removing wasn't so bad. We just rolled the transmission backwards a bit once separated from engine to give us enough room.

Next job - remove auto flywheel

post-2030-1269726181.jpg

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

Slow progress, been pretty slack really (and still waiting on gearbox and associated parts to arrive which are due Easter Mon in NZ!)

Rear subframe and trailing arm bushes are in.

post-2030-1270268002.jpg

post-2030-1270268012.jpg

Flex plate off and random photo of starter motor.

post-2030-1270268023.jpg

post-2030-1270268032.jpg

seems like a good price for the gearbox and you have a relatively good exchange rate too.well done.As for the rear ratio i think you are limited to big case ,correct?So i would hazrad a guess that is m5 or 740/750/840/850 diffs?

Mike - yeah, i've seen a car identical to mine floating around town before...love the colour :P

GASKTR - I don't really have the gear to paint the subframe. Yes it would've been ideal to paint it when it was all out

Paul - Yip, large case only. The guys in the states recommend a 3.15lsd out of a 750i and change the input shaft of this diff to the 540i one. We'll see how this performs and go from there. It should have some long legs.........

Mike - yeah, i've seen a car identical to mine floating around town before...love the colour :P

GASKTR - I don't really have the gear to paint the subframe. Yes it would've been ideal to paint it when it was all out

Paul - Yip, large case only. The guys in the states recommend a 3.15lsd out of a 750i and change the input shaft of this diff to the 540i one. We'll see how this performs and go from there. It should have some long legs.........

very long legged,a 540 six speed is very relaxed at 100 in sixth,yet a squeeze of the throttle see 160 ks .a 3.15 would prolly be the best of both worlds.

Guest Simon*

This is what I run in mine - 3:15 out of a 750

540iS didn't come standard with LSD, you had to tick the box.

The box should be in NZ today. So in a few days after customs etc etc it should be sitting in my garage all going well.

Simon - Was the 750i diff sourced and installed under your ownership?

Running a 3.45lsd in my 540is. I went from 2.93 to 3.15 and finally settled on 3.45 for the xtra G forces generated.A lot more fun than the rest. Have all ratio`s in stock.

Cheers Ray - will be in touch at some point for either a geez at yours or lsd/other parts purchase!

Running a 3.45lsd in my 540is. I went from 2.93 to 3.15 and finally settled on 3.45 for the xtra G forces generated.A lot more fun than the rest. Have all ratio`s in stock.

what sorta revs you running ray 6th at 100 ks....