Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

540iA -> 540iM + rear subframe bushes

Yeah, the compartments will be awesome! As we all know the lack of compartments near centre console in e34 can be a pain!

Unfortunately Boris I'm now too poor to afford either :( haha

A big thanks to Boris, was nice to meet you and check out your mint 540iS! :)

I think the black might actually turn out ok as it matches heater controls/window switches - boot definitely needs to be looked into though.

post-2030-1271326810.jpg

No probs Ian, you were lucky to grab the last M5 console. If you want to upgrade the air intake system before a remap you could improve the flow like Dinan systems.(just make it yourself)

Hope the 6 speed conversion falls into place for you, check with Ray he's done a few on 540's.

http://bmw540ifun.com/ModExperiences.htm

Edited by mr E34

Guest Simon*

A big thanks to Boris, was nice to meet you and check out your mint 540iS! :)

I think the black might actually turn out ok as it matches heater controls/window switches - boot definitely needs to be looked into though.

Found! TM: Grey leather boot

Posted Image

mine is better and wont cost you fr8 etc .

cheers brent:)

Hi there. I just spent the last 3 hours searching for this forum as I had read it a couple of weeks back and wanted to see how things were progressing.

I'm doing the same conversion here in Sydney, Australia and have hit the first stumbling block, so wondering if you've hit it too? The left hand drive pedal assembly doesn't work in the RHD as the 540i has a weird 90 degree setup to activate the brake booster which is still on the left side of the car. So I tried to move the clutch and brake pedal to the auto pedal bracket but it doesn't work, so found a pedal assembly out of 535i but it is completely different as it appears the brake booster is on the correct side on the 535i.

Anyway, naturally I can't find a pedal assembly or pedals out of a genuine 540i Manual RHD, so not entirely sure what to do. I tried to get the parts direct from BMW but there part numbers match the part numbers for the 535i which I have with me that definitely won't work. So it looks like I have to dodgy up and modify the existing setup somehow, so bummer, there goes my hope to get it running in a couple of days. Unless anyone else has a suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Al

all e34 ,e31 and e32 rhd cars use the same type of pedal box arrangement , are you sure its from a e34?? not a e28 etc .

e34 535i also have the brake booster and master cylinder on the left side of the car .

they are 2 types of pedal boxes early and late ones , late ones dont have a mount for the clutch return spring to sit on but you can swap the box over for a early one into a later car . rather than just swapping the pedals .

i have a e34 530i v8 with manual conversion done to it before i got it . they only had to swap the pedals over etc .

you have to disconect the rod from the left side to allow enough movement to get the old pedal box out and new one in .

do you have pictures of the rhd pedal box you have brought ??

if you check this parts diagrams and click on the part number it shows you what models they fit into .

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Seda...p_light_switch/

http://bmwfans.info/parts/catalog/E34/Seda...deflection_rod/

post-279-1273142007.jpg

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Sorry mate.

I have just got a box from a RHD e34 and am in the process of swapping them over. It all appears to be a straight swap from what I can tell and I havn't come across any major issues yet.

Good luck with your swap :)

*edit - exactly as Brent has said, the linkage prevents you from removing the auto pedal box and needs to be disconnected from the LH side of the car to allow movement

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

Thanks gents. I really appreciate the reply.

I do have photos of the pedal box I picked up which the wrecker said was from an E34, but I guess they could be wrong? Would be great if you could identify it because I can't really find any more info on the web.

I got the old pedal box out okay, but thanks for the advice.

Great to hear that the E34 6-cylinders also had the brake booster on the left. Went through so many car sales sites to try to work it out.

Hope your swap is going okay Creaver - STOK3D, but I'll keep you updated with how I go as I'm sure we can share our wins along the way. I hope!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

That pedal box is different to what I have.

I am currently at work and can't take a photo for reference for you, but if you can make any sense of the picture Brent has posted - that's what I have.

looks like a e36 pedal box to me .

gotta love those wrecker guys eh :wacko:

Edited by _Mark_

Excellent. Thanks guys. Been chatting to the wrecker and he is insistant it came out of an E34, so I'm taking back tomorrow and he's going to show me the car.

I've looked through the diagrams from realoem.com and it honestly looks like an E36 pedal assembly.......

Been trying to find a photo of an E34 RHD pedal box on the web without any luck.

Time to go searching for the part again....

I will get you a photo of mine in about 3-4hrs and post it up.

Thanks again fellas.

I ended up printing off the part numbers from realoem.com, and my part is out of an E46. I have the correct numbers for the E34 now so if I can't match it with anything from the wrecker then I'll just get my money back.

I've found another wrecker with an E34 one though it is interstate, so should have it sorted in the next few days.

Been scratching my head a bit with the clutch setup as I've been told the gearbox was out of a Canadian E34 M540i, but the clutch supposedly part of it when the car was wrecked is out of an E39 M5 and is missing the pilot and throw out bearings...... I thought it'd be the same but realoem have the E34 M5, E34 540iM and E39 M5s having different clutches. Anyway, I'll take a punt on the correct parts and put it together and see if it actually works before investing in some new parts.

Sorry I got a bit tied up and couldn't get the pics sooner. But for reference if you need them:

RHD e34 manual pedal box

post-2030-1273363989.jpg

post-2030-1273364000.jpg

Comparison of Auto and Manual pedal boxes side by side. Take note of missing return spring perch.

post-2030-1273484228.jpg

Removed pedal box and steering column (the pedal box attaches to the steering column)

post-2030-1273485220.jpg

post-2030-1273484292.jpg

Crappy picture of the steering linkage on the passenger side which needed to be disconnected to remove the pedal box

post-2030-1273485205.jpg

Some goodies which have arrived - still waiting for flywheel to arrive, shouldn't be that far off now I hope and intend to pickup more expensive parts from Gavin later in the week :S (WHY DIDN'T I BUY A HONDA!?!?!)

post-2030-1273484267.jpg

Also figured while I have it in the air i'd do some other maintenance

Replace steering links

post-2030-1273484281.jpg

Clean out ICV

post-2030-1273485150.jpg

Replace coolant hoses leading to expansion tank and clean out expansion tank

post-2030-1273485162.jpg

Clean out Throttle body and replace gasket to manifold (unfortunately when I was showing my mate some of the progress I had made...he decided to bend the intake hose from MAF to TB and it now has a tear about 5cm long, will be seeing Ray in the next week or so for this).

post-2351-1273528192.jpg

E: Resized your pics bro ;)

Edited by Simon*

Ian, that clutch plate you have in your photos is for a dual mass flywheel. You need a sprung centre clutch plate for your conversion if you are going single mass. The one in the picture is unsprung.

yes thats correct ian , is your flywheel been made to suit that clutch ,it would need to be a dual mass type if yes.

you could get 6yl type 535 /m5 type clutch beefed up to suit a custom flyheel , or any v8 clutch from a commodore ford etc to suit .

Thats what I had to use ... E34 6cyl M5 clutch plate which has the sprung centre

The flywheel I am getting has been tested/used by many people in the states with this clutch.

I have sent you a PM Glenn about our previous phone conversation, thanks

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

The flywheel I am getting has been tested/used by many people in the states with this clutch.

I have sent you a PM Glenn about our previous phone conversation, thanks

If you use that clutch plate (in your photo) the clutch is very likely to shudder and the gearbox will rattle at idle quite loudly because there is no dampering in the clutch centre

Edited by *Glenn*

Yes, I have heard in some cases there is flywheel rattle.

As mentioned in my PM my biggest issue was the pressure plate. I will call you tonight after work. Thanks

Guest Simon*

Good progress here mate

Flywheel being made same place as mine Ian?