Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

540iA -> 540iM + rear subframe bushes

No Simon, they couldn't help me...

No pressure plate to make it.

No Simon, they couldn't help me...

No pressure plate to make it.

Ian ... I think you'll find its the dual mass flywheel they need to make you a single mass. They need the ring gear and the measurements off it to do it. Clutch plate & pressure plates wont be a problem

That is not what he told me when I rung him.........

I think I've located a flywheel.. will know definately later

This kit is an OEM Sachs 540i clutch. I sourced from the states

The flywheel I have ordered (which hasn't even left the states yet...or had the money deducted from my account) is an aluminium one which is meant to work with OEM clutch kit.

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

Good progress going on Ian.

That pressure plate you have has very tiny pressure fingers, must be a very large release bearing?

Cool project & great thread Ian-following with interest.

Great news!

I had a good chat to Glenn last night, and he put me onto Ross at BM Workshop who has also converted his 540i to manual (first in NZ I think?).

Have spoken to Ross who advised he is using the OEM Sachs unsprung clutch and the same flywheel I have ordered!! Said it is an awesome setup and he is very happy with how it performs.

He has also offered me a drive in his car to see what it's like with this setup.

The wealth of knowledge on these forums is very very very good! And if someone doesn't know the answer, in most cases someone knows someone who does! (Glenn and Ross).

Will keep you all posted :).

Greg - The release bearing is pictured on the previous pages at the bottom right if you'd like to compare. I would guesstimate it being about 9-10cm in diameter?

All you need to do now Ian is get a rocket up JB Racing and get that flywheel here pronto :D

Edited by *Glenn*

Guest Simon*

Good news. I was going to suggest you talk to Ross too, as I did when I was looking into new clutch for mine. Ross's car has Cain's old box in it.

Release bearing sizes can be somewhat of an issue - OEM one I sourced was too small for mine

Rocket (read email) has been sent! haha

Simon - Ross used OEM clutch kit (including Release bearing/pressure plate I believe. I will confirm release bearing size when I call him later in the week). He also explained to me he can get rid of the Trans Prog error legitimately without me doing a dodgy wiring job to fool the computer...awesome

Just picked up a few parts from Gavin...

Replaced the control arms a little while ago and with the below bits if this thing doesn't steer like it came out of the factory i'm going to be pissed off!

Driveshaft hanger with bearing

Front and rear intake manifold gasket

Rear crank seal

New PCV (Atta hit Gavin up if you havn't already...was very well priced)

New Front sway bar links

New Centre track rod

New Tie rod ends

New Idler arm bush

New Transmission mounts

post-2030-1273733307.jpg

Hey Ian, I never got to say thank you for posting the pedal box photos, so thank you.

I ended up sourcing the part from another wrecker who was cheaper and more reliable.

Just wondering if anyone here can help, has anyone got a photo of what the clutch master cylinder looks like mounted in a RHD 540i?

I've just noticed I'm missing annoying little things like the nipple on the top of the clutch master, and other random grommets and things.... Looks like more parts from the States.

I can take a photo of how it mounts, however the pedal box isnt in the car yet.

Would that help?

Hey Ian, I never got to say thank you for posting the pedal box photos, so thank you.

I ended up sourcing the part from another wrecker who was cheaper and more reliable.

Just wondering if anyone here can help, has anyone got a photo of what the clutch master cylinder looks like mounted in a RHD 540i?

I've just noticed I'm missing annoying little things like the nipple on the top of the clutch master, and other random grommets and things.... Looks like more parts from the States.

this might help

Posted Image

And I've just received an email stating the place which makes the flywheel is still waiting for the material to arrive from their supplier.

They reckon it will be ready in another 7-10days, then it will be shipped to Turnermotorsport (where I have ordered other goods), then it will come to NZ.....guess that's me out for the Auckland meet.

Hi mate,

Hey, if you've mounted all the clutch stuff except the pedal box that'll be awesome if you could take a photo. I haven't actually fully got around to working out where everything goes, but I've got the pedal box in. I'm waiting on too many parts to go ahead with too much more which is somewhat annoying!!

Hope everything is going well over in NZ for you.

Cheers,

Al

I would like to say a BIG thanks to Ray (HELLBM) for letting me drive his 540iS and Boris (Mr e34) for taking me for a blat in his 540iS. Both extremely nice cars and great guys!

At the moment i'm leaning towards going with a 3.46lsd after having a drive in Ray's and am going to stick with the 2.93lsd I currently have to start with. Boris's car goes much better than I expected with the longer diff, but nothing compared to Ray's beast. I think I would be a lot happier with the 3.46 than going for a 3.15 or similar after today.

I will have a chat to Ross from BM Workshop later in the week and see if he is free and can take me for a spin in his converted 540i and the same clutch/FW setup that I intend to use at some point as well.

Al - I hope the below photos help you.

post-2030-1273985082.jpg

post-2030-1273985091.jpg

post-2030-1273985102.jpg

And the below photo is for Ray as a reference.

post-2030-1273985111.jpg

Found what you are after.(part 2)

Regards Ray

post-1470-1273990191.png

Still waiting on the Flywheel...angry email sent as it's been f**king ages.

Intake is all apart. PCV wasn't in the greatest shape and I have found a couple of cracked hoses, how it ran as well as it did in the first place, god knows!

Havn't taken any more pics yet, nor have I had much progress...hopefully the ball will be rolling in the next week or something.

Still waiting on the Flywheel

I had the same problem getting my flywheel from the states too Ian... ended up taking nearly 4 weeks

Just received an email saying Turnermotorsport would have the flywheel from JB Racing by Friday (US time).

So should get it next week or the week after, woohoo. Better get my ass into gear and sort the rest of the car!

What is the best combination of flywheel/clutch for the 540i?(increase clutch pedal weight/feel)