Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

540iA -> 540iM + rear subframe bushes

e28 535 or M5?

no e28 m5 use 3.73 and 3.91

e28 535i use 3.07 and they are slightly different shape to the e34/e32 diffs

Yeah, I was thinking e28 m5? But it's open so must be a 535 of sorts?

Either way, going to test fit it today. :) When compared with another large case diff out of an e34 it looks identical

will be from a e34 535i or e32 735i

the large case e34/e32 6cyl diffs use a different input flange to the large V8 diffs

axles are the same

A question for you all:

Should I put it all back in once i'm finished or leave it out?

post-2030-1292401077.jpg

post-2030-1292401089.jpg

Put it all back in.. or it wont be a full leather lounge suite..

^+1 , but it is rather heavy B)

You sure there isn't an ulterior motive for your answer? :P

Never.. you should fix your steering issues first before you try to go faster :P

Put it back in! .... when was the last time you had all of the interior in the car? .... yes that does include the glovebox and shift surround!

Put it back in! .... when was the last time you had all of the interior in the car? .... yes that does include the glovebox and shift surround!

Haha, I hope those parts aren't still out of the car!

Haha, I hope those parts aren't still out of the car!

Some of them are :S haha

Installed the 3.45 last night...what an improvement.

The 2.93 revved approx 1950 at 100kph, now it's approx 2450 at 100kph with the 3.45......who cares about fuel economy! :)

Plan is to head to 2nd Jan trackday at hampton

sounds good .

wanna come down and compare :)

Come to hampton Jan 2nd :)

Unfortunately i'm going away for xmas etc

yes should be there with the e28 .

no i was meaning compare with the e34 i have .

In regardes to fitting the trailing arm bushes doesnt that effect the action of the pitman arms stopping the side to side movement under wheel travel?

I was to believe that movement is there to correct geometry at speed threw a corner?

Hmmmm.

I'm not sure of the complications relating to that sort of stuff :S

Anyone have any thoughts on this matter? Good point of discussion

i have the complete rear out of your car i went to put into my turbo e34 m50 but want to keep the medium case diff due to ratios but couldnt due to the flange being bigger but i believe theres a big flange med case i can swap with, based on the power it wont last long but with the 2.9 or 3.15 and rev limit of 8k i dont think theres to many places to do 200plus mph!!!

I was just thinking with stopping the arm travel as such would upset the backend under load which is why i didnt fit them, didnt want to find out the hard way.

The little 'dog-bones' on the rear sub-frame are to dynamically change the toe with wheel travel (ie. keep the same amount of toe) as the semi-trailing arms are renowned for toe-ing in under compression, not to do with 'speed' in particular.

This was drastically improved from the trailing arm angle of 15degrees on the E30 - early E28/23 (& Z3/Compact/M Coupe-Roadster) rear end, to 12degrees + the 'dog-bones' to control toe in the later E28's & E34/32's.

So going to solid or firmer bushes and eliminating the 'dog-bones' isn't going to be a drastic change, and probably balances out from a handling pro-con POV, with the firmer bushes being far more consistent/positive.

And FYI, a few years back when I was sourcing bushes for my e30/28 I spoke with Andrew from (formerly) Noltech (Oz) and he advised their urethane bushes where compatible with the 'dog-bones' so I went that way.

Thing with the 'dog-bones' is the seals tear easily and then wear out quickly, next time around I will be using much firmer bushes without the 'dog-bones'.