Sign in to follow this  
Guest Andrew

Thoughts on urathene bushes?

Guest Andrew

Was having a chat to my mechanic about installing them. He was adament not to put them on the back.. claimed it was too firm.

Can anyone elaborate on this for me?

I think that is a load of shite, and not just because I bought 7sets!!!

It will affect ride comfort to some extent in terms of firmness and more postive/connected feel to the road (hardly a bad thing!!), but nothing like a race car.

Then you get into the issues of if you stick with stock rubber bushes and the amount of flex they give so you have a comfortable ride can not positively affect the handling.

Sure it will ride nice and smooth like your mums maxima but when the rear toe is chaning upto 5mm during hard cornering it just not cricket.

I'm sure every performance based upgrade has its affect on ride quality, bigger wheels for example!!

I'm sure we'll find out soon enough Andrew!!

I'll be glad to see the back of my rear wheel steering issue that is for sure!!!

Guest Andrew

oh no i'm putting mine in all round. I just wanted some thoughts.. I dont' give a fark about ride quality hah.

Too firm for what? His boney ass in the drivers seat. lololol. Im sorry but as far as drive quality goes its all good as far as Im concerned. :D

You get one of these cars with some go power and see if you want a free floating rear end.

Edited by tHrEEtWoFiVe

Guest 325eye

I agree...

The grease monkey probably drives a holden... and likes that mushy feeling when he drives... The mechanic that does my warrents thinks Euro's feel the same as Holdens...

Bloody Hell?

Holdens define "Fat ass"

:D

Posted Image

Get the bushes all around...

haha..just been driving the olds 93 berlina...whale comes to mind....haha is a lot of fun though....drifts not too badly...

If you think of the suspension as any other type of mechanical linkage, for it to work as it is designed to it would have solid (brass for eg) bushes, as this provides the most consistant performance .

The problem with using solid bushes in a car suspension is,

1. fatigue of the actual metal components connecting the suspension (bolts, trailing arms, sub-frame mounts etc...)

2. ride harshness & noise, obviously if something is solid it is going to transmit noise & vibration alot more than a lump of rubber.

From the above you can see why someone like BMW would use soft rubber, to protect the longevitey of it parts and to promote superior ride comfort with reduced noise & vibration, in no way related to perfromance. Even to the extent of using liquid filled engine mounts on the 318is's etc...

Guest Andrew

I agree...

The grease monkey probably drives a holden... and likes that mushy feeling when he drives... The mechanic that does my warrents thinks Euro's feel the same as Holdens...

Bloody Hell?

Holdens define "Fat ass"

:D

Posted Image

Get the bushes all around...

not quite.. he prepared most the targa BMWs.. was born in germany.. and is the best bmw mechanic i know lol.

Guest 325eye

Can you give a full report once the work is done...

I have some serious work coming up on my cars suspention and I would be interested to hear your results...

Matt